“Nice place, Great Service but do not recommend for Handicapped patrons” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hassayampa Inn

Hassayampa Inn
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Arizona
“Nice place, Great Service but do not recommend for Handicapped patrons”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My Elderly Mother and I stayed at the Hassayampa Inn for the weekend of May 31st 2014. First off I must say the place is so beautiful with it's old time decorations and the regal look of the lobby. The customer service is great, all the people were so nice and kind.

Day one we arrived and soon noticed that this hotel was not suited for handicap patrons and we should have been warned this fact before booking my reservations. My first clue was that I could not pull my car into the drive up because my wheelchair trailer was too low to the ground and it would have bottomed when I drove into the up hill drive in. So I had to park across the street in the hotel parking lot. Once parked I walked to the check in desk and informed them I was with my handicapped Mother in a wheelchair, so they put us in room 326, third floor! (Bad move) I also told them I needed some assistance getting all my luggage out of my car across the street because my mother was in a wheel chair and it was difficult for me to manage all the luggage by myself and assist my Mother, they told us that the only ramp they had was at the back door and we were to ring the bell whenever we wanted to enter the hotel. (That did not make me very happy)

I proceeded back across the street to gather our stuff, mind you it was over 100 degrees outside. The young man told me he would meet me at the curb to get my luggage. So I dragged both suitcases, a few misc bags and guided my Mother across the street and to my dismay no person was waiting at the curb to help me. We stood at the back door ringing the doorbell for over 10 minutes. Fuming I dropped all the luggage leaving my Mother at the back door of the hotel I walked around to the lobby to ask them to open the back door. Which they did promptly after that.

Once we got into the hotel we found out about the old manually operated elevator. They put us on the third floor, we had to ring for someone everytime we wanted to go downstairs. If they would have had a fire we would have died. Over the course of the entire weekend we had to ride the elevator over 4 to 5 times a day, and we got stuck in it twice.

We were staying in Prescott for a wedding on Saturday. We Headed out in plently of time to drive over to the wedding and I went to start my car and my battery was dead. I called the hotel lobby and asked if someone could come outside and help me. They said they could not they were too busy. Needless to say AAA arrived an hour later and we missed the wedding. At one point I asked a Hotel Manager walking from the Parking lot coming on shift if he could help us and he said he would go see his crew and come right back but he never did. I was very upset about that but I did not complain. I just took all in stride.

During the weekend we had a cocktail in the lounge and ate dinner in the Peacock room. The people were great the food was ok. The mattress was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in and housekeeping staff was fantastic. I would highly recommend this place for families, couple or anyone looking for some fun if you like antiques. I do not recommend this hotel to elderly that have trouble getting around. The entire hotel consists of stairs every place you wish to go in this hotel. You must take stairs to approach the lobby, the lounge, the restaurant, coffee in the morning, even to get to the elevator. Stairs everywhere!

Room Tip: 326 was a good room for the view but not the best view of the Court House.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelinMomArizona
Michael K, General Manager at Hassayampa Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Hassayampa Inn and for taking the time to supply us with your feedback from your recent stay. I am very pleased you enjoyed the Historic value of the Hassayampa Inn and truly apologize that the property built in 1927 is not as user friendly as some modern design locations. I assure you that the responses you specified you received from team members will be addressed and thank you again for bringing them to my attention. I am available at your discretion to discuss your stay and suggestions you may have so we can continue to improve. Thank you again and have a great day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

There was practically no other people when we arrived. This was the memorial day. The front desk guy was doing a good job and very chatty at the same time. He greeted us delightfully when he knew that we've just arrived the town the very first time. He described the town for us and delivered our luggage from the car to the room. I stayed one night in a double queens room. The room could barely fit two double queens but it's a different era when this historic hotel was built. Other than that, everything was as normal as other 4-5 stars hotels. The rooms were old and you could hear squeaky wood floor from the above. It sounded a bit scary at late night. We had breakfast in the Peacock room the next day. Food was great!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank PiggythePig123
Thank you for staying with us at the Hassayampa Inn. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the small quirks that come with a historic hotel. We hope to see you visit again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed for a weekend, our first time at this hotel. From check in to the room to dinner, the singer at the bar and the jazz in the loby it was all first rate. Not modern but everything a historic hotel should be. Each employee we spoke to was warm friendly and helpful, we were made to feel right at home. Our room had a king size bed and an additional sitting area, it was lovely and a very comfortable bed. My husband who travels with his own pillow and blanket didn't even have to bring them in. We are looking forward to our next stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us at the Hassayampa Inn. I am very glad to hear that you had a great experience staying on our property.
We are looking forward to your next stay.
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed for one night during the week and really enjoyed it. We loved the charming lobby and the beautiful courtyard with fountain. The weather was beautiful in Prescott when we were there, so it was an easy walk (next block over) to the downtown/courthouse area where shopping and restaurants are. We had a nice sized room with a king bed that was very comfortable. We were in Room 302 which was nice and quiet. You are away from Whiskey Row so you don't get late night revelers. Bathroom was clean and comfortable. The staff were very nice and attentive.
It has the oldest elevator in Arizona, but you need to have a staff person run it. We ate breakfast at the Peacock Room, and I really enjoyed the lemon ricotta pancakes. We would definitely stay there again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hassayampa Inn. We are delighted that you were pleased with your visit. We look forward to your next visit.
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here last fall and fell in love with the Place. The reason was a NEW manager who just arrived and met everyone and did more than I expected (he bought marshmallows for us to cook outside over fires). It was unbelievable.

Well now, it is different. I brought my wife for her birthday and expect same but no. When we arrived I forgot some flowers. Some were just delivered for someone else and I asked the desk clerk to please get me some and had a twenty in my hand. Well, all she did was talk over her microphone to other people on the staff. She only gave me her attention for thirty seconds and again with microphone (four times this happened). I looked around for other staff but all said the "hi" and quickly keep going to wherever. I put the money back in my pocket.

The entire stay had that feeling of "hi" as they walked away. Most were talking to each other and not to us. What a let down! I guess I should have gotten more forceful, but I didn't want to have my wife find out. She was just happy for the two days there.

The place looks the same but to me, well, I would rather give my money to people that care.

PS. When we went to our room on the second day, the cards didn't work. So we had to go back to the front desk and prove it was us and we had the room for two days.

My guess is that last year's manager has moved on.

Room Tip: This tip is not for a good room. Make sure the desk staff pays attention to you. The fourth floo...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that the visit was not up to the standard of your previous visit and the areas you discussed have been address with the staff. I am available at your discretion to discuss your stay and suggestions you may have so we can continue to improve. Thank you again and have a great day.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

This quaint, beautifully restored historic hotel is a gem in downtown Prescott. When you arrive, you're greeted by friendly reception staff who are helpful and knowledgable. The hotel has its own parking lot which is a bit small, but there were plenty of spaces when I arrived. On the Weekend in Prescott, there are often festivals and shows and the lot (though reserved for visitors) fills up. Its not a real problem, there is plenty of parking on the street which is always free, and no time limit on weekends or holidays.
The rooms are quite lovely. The Standard queen room I had was a bit small. It was just fine for me, but the bathroom was small with only a stall shower, and the sink was outside about three feet from the bed. I didn't mind as little quirks are to be expected in an old restored hotel. The suites are no doubt larger and would be worth it if you're traveling with someone.
The bed was comfortable but pretty soft. If you need a stiff mattress, you might be a bit uncomfortable. That said, I'm pretty particular about my bedding (I have a firm memory foam mattress that I love), and I had no trouble getting to sleep. The springs on the bed were squeaky so any extra-curricular activities would like be on the louder side. When I visited the hotel, it was fully booked, and I never heard any noise from any other room. The only noise was the AC in the room which had a slight wine when it kicked on, but otherwise ran silently.
The rooms are clean, but watch out for the wood floors, they're a bit slippery. If you plan on spending a lot of time in your room, go for a suite, but for me, the standard room was perfect.
The restaurant has an amazing a la cart breakfast. The Eggs Benedict and the Huevos Rancharos are some of the best I've ever had. The service is super friendly and attentive. The coffee mugs are small but they never let it get empty, always checking on you to see if you need anything. I didn't have lunch or dinner at the hotel, but there were locals that specifically came for breakfast, and it was pretty full, so I'd bet that dinner is great as well.
The location can't be beat. Right in downtown Prescott, walking distance from restaurants, bars, theaters, and a block from the courthouse square where almost every weekend there is a different festival, from art shows, and music festivals.
This place is a gem, if you're ever in Prescott, this is the place to stay. If I'm ever in the area again, I'd never think of staying anywhere else.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michael K, General Manager at Hassayampa Inn, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi David,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that you had a good experience. We hope to see you visit our hotel again soon. Take care
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Located right in town this hotel is ideally placed for exploring Prescott. Rooms are large and comfortable, although we did ask to be moved as our room at the back of the hotel overlooked the air conditioning unit and fans; the noise would have kept us awake. They moved us with no problem. The hotel has a nice bar and restaurant, although we chose to eat in town. A laundry service was advertised on their web site but this turned out not to be the case. As we were on a long road trip we had planned to use this service, so be aware. That said there is a laundromat a couple of blocks up from the hotel and you can get everything washed and dried within the hour. This is an old hotel, although well maintained the lift is of the old cage type and has to be operated by a member of staff. If staying in Prescott for a night or a few days this hotel is a comfortable option.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms at the back because of the noise from hotel fans.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I apologize for the mis-communication about the laundry service. Our service is through a dry cleaner. We look forward to your next stay with us.