“Weekend trip to Pescott Arizona”
Review of Hotel St. Michael

Hotel St. Michael
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
San Tan Valley
“Weekend trip to Pescott Arizona”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We decided to go away for the weekend and booked a room at the St Michael's hotel in Prescott. It was fantastic. It's an older hotel but very nice and has a lot of character of it's own. I love the old elevator they have. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The Bistro restaurant has great food and breakfast. we read some of the other reviews and I would rate this nothing more than a 5. Location and character. We will stay here again. Just remember that if you don't like an older hotel with character and location to everything then this is not the place for you. But if you like location, great parking, good food and great staff then this is the place for you. If you need something just ask the front desk and they will help you in anyway they can...I love this place. Thanks St Michaels for a fantastic weekend.

Room Tip: We just had an average room and it was great. It had a queen size bed and was very comfortable. I wo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 December 2013

terrible night sleep on 4 in foam mattress with plastic covered pillows like a hospital would use with threadbare pillow case; the non-breathability of the plastic caused me to sweat. I itched ALL night long more than likely from the laundry detergent as thankfully the itching was not because of bed-bugs as I did not itch when I returned home. The shower water pressure was so strong that it hurt so bad (especially on a woman's tender upper parts), even turning the water volume down did not help and, by the time I was done taking a shower, the water was up around my ankles (there was no tub, just a six inch tray). For the price of the room -- even with the so-called government employee discount -- was so overpriced at $89 (tax included) that even if the cost of the room was half of that, the cost would still be like making a donation to a charity without the benefit of a tax deduction write-off.
The breakfast was limited to a standard two eggs, meat, potatoes (which were simply deep-fried potato chunks) with toast.
I've stayed at the Holiday Inn in Show Low that charged the SAME amount for the room; however, the Holiday Inn was roomier, cleaner, better-decorated, better quality of linen, king-sized pillows with an interior pillow case protector and then a proper linen case. And, the Holiday Inn included a coffee maker et al in the room.
Now before anyone says an historic hotel can't be compared to a newer, corporate hotel, I have also stayed at the Hassayampa Inn there in courthouse square in Prescott -- which charges either the same or just a bit more for a room. The Hassayampa has the same historic décor and colorful history as St. Michael. However, the breakfast I had at the Hassayampa was a choice from the entire menu (I had a delicious crab eggs benedict, which included fresh juice). The rooms were so much more luxurious.
If the St. Michael underwent an update which would combine some of the smaller rooms into slighter larger rooms with a proper bathroom, maybe, just maybe, would it be worth it to stay there.

In other words, there is absolutely no way I would waste my money staying at the St. Michael again.

Room Tip: don't bother -- go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ceit L
GM-HSM, General Manager at Hotel St. Michael, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Sorry that you were unhappy with your stay. I appreciate this opportunity to respond:

We have two styles of rooms to choose from: Standard and Economy. You were in an Economy room. Our Economy Queen beds are unique in that much of the mattress assembly is built into the box spring unit. The foam topper is actually just that, a topper. This bed is the same type that has been used by Marriot properties. Our standard rooms, which cost a little more, have 16" thick Serta, "Bellagio at Home" Mattresses, I'm sure you would have enjoyed one of these.

We are reviewing your concern with the pillow protectors; you are the first guest I am aware of to mention having this issue - thank you. We are also looking into your concern with water pressure. Again, you are the first guest I have heard with this issue - thank you.

The Hotel St Michael originally had over 100 guest rooms and no bathrooms in the rooms. It now has 70 guest rooms, all have bathrooms, and many use showers only. This leaves a little larger sleeping area in a traditionally smaller historic hotel room.

Unfortunately tub strainers sometimes get blocked (usually from hair). This is one of those things that can happen in any hotel.

I'm surprised at your disappointment with breakfast. Most of our guests really enjoy our full cooked-to-order American breakfast and many go out of their way to say so. Perhaps you were not aware that guests are free to choose whatever they would like from the menu and may use their breakfast voucher toward offsetting cost differences.

Cleanliness is a top priority at Hotel St Michael. If you had a specific issue we would have been anxious to address it.

Generally, our effort is to preserve the original character of an important downtown historic building and provide a unique hotel experience, featuring clean comfortable accommodations in a prime location at an affordable price. There are a couple of other hotels to choose from in downtown. Each has its own unique approach and price point - we are, of course, proud to offer ours. Again, I'm sorry for your disappointment and hope this response has been of some value.
Black Canyon City, Arizona
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here the evening of Acker Night, the annual musical celebration on the square. Lovely historical hotel. Room was cozy with a great view of the Christmas lights on the Square. The bed was full size, very uncomfortable. Noise from the street was annoying so we did not sleep well.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the street side would be much quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

If you're a snooty hotel snob, this is not the place for you although the hotel does feature a few near-luxury items including nice linens, new carpeting, and super-comfy beds. Despite these features, the hotel remains a historic building, which is why I advise those who don't appreciate this fact not to stay. For those of us who do appreciate it, the location is phenomenal and the restoration and detail are impressive. The rooms are tastefully decorated, well-climate controlled in the winter, and very comfortable.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Kikiakaz
Payson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Our group arrived quite early, however, we all were able to get checked in and to our rooms. My husband and I booked a king suite for our stay during a car show, and were very happy with how large it was. Others in our group booked regular rooms, which were quite tiny. Our room was right up against another building so while we had windows, the view was of a block wall. The bed was comfortable and linens were fine. If there was one less than complimentary thing about the room, it is that the bathroom had no electrical outlets, and just outside the bathroom where there was a "vanity" type area with a table and a mirror, the nearest electrical outlet was nearly 8 feet away. Which made it very inconvenient for using my hair appliances. The common areas of the hotel are very pretty and historical and the small restaurant within was delightful. We would absolutely stay here again, although in future I would add an extension cord to my travel accessories.
If you are looking for, or expecting, five star luxury and service, stay elsewhere. However, if you are looking for a charming, comfortable, inexpensive hotel with touches that smack of a bygone era...the elevator is very old fashioned, the staircase will make a girl feel like Scarlett O'Hara, and each turn of a corner brings a smile of when things were real and craftsmanship meant something, then visit the Hotel St, Michael.

Room Tip: King suites are much roomier.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kim K
Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed 5 November 2013

What a lovely stay we had at the Hotel St Michael. I read all the other reviews on here, and quite honestly I don't understand any of the negative comments. This is a Historic Hotel, not a bran new Hilton. I love that they have left it true to itself. There is new bedding and the mattresses were comfortable. The carpet was clean, I could walk around in bare feet not worrying about them turning black! There is a bit of noise that come from the bars next door. Each room has a window fan so it you turn it on it muffles the sound. I never felt like it was to loud. But besides the fact that I loved the room the hotel staff were fantastic!! We checked in and out with Kristian and she was wonderful! We got the pleasure of seeing Rosie on more that one occasion and what a joy she was! Bubbly,friendly and fun!! Then we have Jay. Jay was very professional and good at his job! He had a bit of a hard time while kindly enforcing one of the hotel rules with a girl that came it to visit friends late in the evening. He was amazing at keeping his cool and staying in control of the situation. High 5 to Jay. Again over all I really enjoyed being able to step back in time to the old wild west at this Historic Arizona Hotel!!

Room Tip: We stayed in a double queen room with a view of the court house. We were at the end of the hallway s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Chino, California, United States
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Our son booked a room for my husbands birthday and when we went to check in on Thursday and they had the wrong day for our stay, wrong size beds, so we came back on Friday. My son had it set up to pay the bill, but upon check in they informed us we had to pay. To be a historic hotel, everything was bought Cosco. The heat, they contol so if your cold to bad, use a blanket is what we were told. At about midnight, I called and asked for 2 pillows because the was a space between the bed and headboard so I stuffed pillows in the crack. Then we get a phone call which was after midnight, and they told us not to smoke in the room (we don't smoke). Then if that wasn't bad enough the toilet backs up. Also the walls are so thin, we could hear the people next to us. And their free breakfast isn't free, $5.00 off and when we left, people were waiting to use their "coupon", hope they weren't hungry they were going to have a long wait. Don;t waste your time staying here Prescott has way more to offer.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, you will be alot happier and get better service
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple