“Historic Charm on Whiskey Row”
Review of Hotel St. Michael

Hotel St. Michael
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Historic Charm on Whiskey Row”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The Hotel St. Michael is an older hotel, but it's well maintained. I had a king room overlooking Gurley, one of the main streets. My first night was on St. Patrick's Day, so facing Gurley I heard every scream, shout, and laugh. Luckily the next day was a non holiday day, everything was quiet. The king bed was comfortable and there was a flat screen TV with many channels. The bathroom while old and was spotless. Had a shower/tub combo. My price included breakfast each morning. Great breakfast with choice of eggs, meats, breads, potatoes, fruit, and coffee all included. The hotel restaurant also serves the public and there were a lot of locals eating there each morning for breakfast. The front desk staff was great arranging for taxis and recommending restaurants. The hotel is in the center of everything, a great place to stay in the Historic District.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank John C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Pioneertown, California
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Right in the center of town on Whiskey Row so it was a little noisy with drunks on the street even though we were on the third floor. Room was really comfortable and spotlessly clean but I wouldn't have wanted to escape the hotel in a fire wearing one of the teeny bath towels. Staff were very friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
El Mirage, Arizona
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to get a hotel for the weekend, in Prescott, and we chose Hotel St. Michael! We couldn't have stayed at a better hotel! We were greeted by friendly staff, and a complimentary bottle of champagne and glasses, for a Valentine's Day gift. Hotel was right in the middle of everything you could need, restaurants, shops, bars, ect. Everything was very clean and comfortable! We received a complimentary breakfast as well. It was fresh cooked, not just hard bagels and dry cereal, like most places. The wait staff in the restaurant was very friendly as well. The price was very reasonable also! Most of the weekend, it was just the two of us. The last day, my 5 year old joined us as well and loved the experience!!! We will definitely be staying here again!!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a more quiet experience, as for a room that does not line up to the saloon :]
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissRialedUp
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you are looking for a four seasons experience go somewhere else. This hotel has an extremely friendly staff and for a hundred year old building, great amenities. The bistro downstairs serves a great breakfast. The rooms are perfect for sleeping, showering, and preparing to experience the old western feel of Prescott.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank tcampbellaz
Canyon Lake, California
Reviewed 3 February 2014

January 25, 2014.....My husband and I and another couple decided to "consider" staying in a VERY old hotel in Prescott located right on Whisky Row. I was concerned about staying in such an old place because I was afraid it would be negative in many ways. We all found exactly the opposite. SPOTELESSLY CLEAN, very friendly, helpful staff, quaint atmosphere, comfortable room with soooo much charm and history. The breakfast was fabulous too and the personnel all friendly and excellent. I left my IPad in the room and when I discovered the mistake we were over 200 miles away. I called the hotel, they found it and immediately shipped it to me in California so I received it shortly after our trip to Arizona. We will all go back to Hotel St Michael. Good memory!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jan W
San Tan Valley
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We decided to go away for the weekend and booked a room at the St Michael's hotel in Prescott. It was fantastic. It's an older hotel but very nice and has a lot of character of it's own. I love the old elevator they have. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The Bistro restaurant has great food and breakfast. we read some of the other reviews and I would rate this nothing more than a 5. Location and character. We will stay here again. Just remember that if you don't like an older hotel with character and location to everything then this is not the place for you. But if you like location, great parking, good food and great staff then this is the place for you. If you need something just ask the front desk and they will help you in anyway they can...I love this place. Thanks St Michaels for a fantastic weekend.

Room Tip: We just had an average room and it was great. It had a queen size bed and was very comfortable. I wo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 December 2013

terrible night sleep on 4 in foam mattress with plastic covered pillows like a hospital would use with threadbare pillow case; the non-breathability of the plastic caused me to sweat. I itched ALL night long more than likely from the laundry detergent as thankfully the itching was not because of bed-bugs as I did not itch when I returned home. The shower water pressure was so strong that it hurt so bad (especially on a woman's tender upper parts), even turning the water volume down did not help and, by the time I was done taking a shower, the water was up around my ankles (there was no tub, just a six inch tray). For the price of the room -- even with the so-called government employee discount -- was so overpriced at $89 (tax included) that even if the cost of the room was half of that, the cost would still be like making a donation to a charity without the benefit of a tax deduction write-off.
The breakfast was limited to a standard two eggs, meat, potatoes (which were simply deep-fried potato chunks) with toast.
I've stayed at the Holiday Inn in Show Low that charged the SAME amount for the room; however, the Holiday Inn was roomier, cleaner, better-decorated, better quality of linen, king-sized pillows with an interior pillow case protector and then a proper linen case. And, the Holiday Inn included a coffee maker et al in the room.
Now before anyone says an historic hotel can't be compared to a newer, corporate hotel, I have also stayed at the Hassayampa Inn there in courthouse square in Prescott -- which charges either the same or just a bit more for a room. The Hassayampa has the same historic décor and colorful history as St. Michael. However, the breakfast I had at the Hassayampa was a choice from the entire menu (I had a delicious crab eggs benedict, which included fresh juice). The rooms were so much more luxurious.
If the St. Michael underwent an update which would combine some of the smaller rooms into slighter larger rooms with a proper bathroom, maybe, just maybe, would it be worth it to stay there.

In other words, there is absolutely no way I would waste my money staying at the St. Michael again.

Room Tip: don't bother -- go somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ceit L
GM-HSM, General Manager at Hotel St. Michael, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Sorry that you were unhappy with your stay. I appreciate this opportunity to respond:

We have two styles of rooms to choose from: Standard and Economy. You were in an Economy room. Our Economy Queen beds are unique in that much of the mattress assembly is built into the box spring unit. The foam topper is actually just that, a topper. This bed is the same type that has been used by Marriot properties. Our standard rooms, which cost a little more, have 16" thick Serta, "Bellagio at Home" Mattresses, I'm sure you would have enjoyed one of these.

We are reviewing your concern with the pillow protectors; you are the first guest I am aware of to mention having this issue - thank you. We are also looking into your concern with water pressure. Again, you are the first guest I have heard with this issue - thank you.

The Hotel St Michael originally had over 100 guest rooms and no bathrooms in the rooms. It now has 70 guest rooms, all have bathrooms, and many use showers only. This leaves a little larger sleeping area in a traditionally smaller historic hotel room.

Unfortunately tub strainers sometimes get blocked (usually from hair). This is one of those things that can happen in any hotel.

I'm surprised at your disappointment with breakfast. Most of our guests really enjoy our full cooked-to-order American breakfast and many go out of their way to say so. Perhaps you were not aware that guests are free to choose whatever they would like from the menu and may use their breakfast voucher toward offsetting cost differences.

Cleanliness is a top priority at Hotel St Michael. If you had a specific issue we would have been anxious to address it.

Generally, our effort is to preserve the original character of an important downtown historic building and provide a unique hotel experience, featuring clean comfortable accommodations in a prime location at an affordable price. There are a couple of other hotels to choose from in downtown. Each has its own unique approach and price point - we are, of course, proud to offer ours. Again, I'm sorry for your disappointment and hope this response has been of some value.