“Loved St. Michael's Bistro!!”
Review of Hotel St. Michael

Hotel St. Michael
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Gold Country, CA
“Loved St. Michael's Bistro!!”
Reviewed 12 August 2007

We loved St. Michael's Bistro so much, we went there two nights in a row!! On Thursday nights, Dana was playing jazz piano for about three hours, which added a great ambience to the restaurant. Our food was delicious, with good-sized portions. I especially liked the roast chicken or stuffed mushrooms, and their chocolate cake is scrumptious!! Ralph, our server, did an amazing job of taking care of us. He even recommended a bar to visit when we left the restaurant (The Raven=great selection of beer and a good time!!). We plan to eat here whenever we are back in town!

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank sideseatdriver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
lake havasu
Reviewed 20 June 2007

we stayed at the st Michael and we had a great time, the room was small but very nice and clean the front desk girl was super nice !!! well stay there again and again...thank you

Stayed June 2007
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 3 June 2007

Altough I am on an Elder Hostel group tour, I called this hotel several weeks ahead of the tour's start, to reserve a room for one night prior to the tour. When I arrived I found out they did not have my reservation, as they booked me for the wrong night, the start of the tour. The desk reservationist said he only had a small "inside" room. I absolutely hate that type of room, but he said that after I checked out from this room, I could check back in a better room with a view of the square.

Well, guess what? After packing up my stuff and moving out, then in, I found myself in a room even smaller than my original room, but on third floor, instead of the second. Of course it was INSIDE with the depressing view of the wall and windows of the other wing of the hotel.

My efforts to change rooms, failed even though I was willing to pay for an upgrade. A day clerk on duty on my tour check-in hemmed and hawed and delayed even though she said there was a better room available just across the hall from the one they put me in.

Finally, another clerk told me, after I called for an update, that the proposed room was not available. Of course for only $18.00 more, I could have a second story room over "Whiskey Row" that might be noisey because it was over the bars!

Hey, if I wanted treatment like this, I could probably find it in any run-down motel or hotel in the county. The criticisms of this hotel in other reviews is absolutely justified.

The elevator was working, but it slams shut on you, no matter what you do. Ice? Go down to first floor and get it from the desk clerk? (I guess they are afraid someone will steal some). Both of my rooms appeared dirty.

Just because it claims to be historic, does NOT justify being decrepit. When I first drove across the country from the east coast to Colorado, I often deliberately stayed in this type of small town hotel because they only charge $20 a night and were pretty good. At least I did not expect anything very special, but I can say truthfully some were much older and better than historic St Michaels.

Unless you want el cheapo accomodations, do NOT stay here!
Enjoy your vacation and go to a good hotel or motel. There are plenty in Prescott. One even has an Indian casino so you help out the original owners of this land stolen from them by the likes of the owners of St Michaels Hotel.

If I had not paid for the tour, I would never had continued staying in this dump. I will make sure they hear my complaints. I came on a tour of the Grand Canyon, so there was no reason to put me or anyone in a one star hotel.

• Liked — Cafe
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank twoguncharly
arizona
Reviewed 20 February 2007

This was our second time staying at the hotel. We had a suite which had window views of both streets. The rooms are nothing fancy...but they are clean and its fun staying in such an old place.
The best place about it is the proximity to the square and of course whisky row. ... Too many drinks and its a short walk home.

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank burtcheeks
Las Vegas
Reviewed 16 December 2006

Staying at this charming Hotel was like stepping back in time. The staff were exceptionally friendly. From the moment we walked in the door, we were greeted with a warm Hello. The rooms are older, but that was to be expected. The hotel is 105 years old!! Everything was clean, and we had a great nights sleep. The breakfast in the morning was huge, and delicious. I reccomend this Hotel to anyone that can appreciate history.

Stayed December 2006
5 Thank valsmom27
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 19 November 2006

The cafe in the Hotel St. Michael hotel allows street fare and we were glad. The high ceilings and quiet history are really special and the windows (most of them) look out upon the famed "Whiskey Row" were life goes on in Prescott. Ate a nice late lunch there and we were impressed by the quick service, very good food and the atmosphere. It is small so I would think that at certain times it may be crowded but we were seated within a few moments of entering. The house was full and we had a corner location from which we watched the pre-Thanksgiving fall traffic pass the large windows. The menu was sufficient and our food was perfectly done and tasty. Our one or two needs were immediately met and overall price was about the average for what we experienced elsewhere. Good dining.

4 Thank RoamingDoc
Mesa, AZ
Reviewed 14 August 2006

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on August 3rd. The staff was great, the women who checked us in was very friendly and helpful and even let us into our room before check in as we had riden up to Prescott from Mesa on our Harley and were ready for a shower and had our bags in tow. The hotel is located right on the corner of Historic Whiskey row, as well as close to many other great places to see while there. Our room was very clean and if not for the TV and phone, you felt as though you stepped back in time, the entire hotel is beautiful, they have done a great job at maintain the historic quaities of the Hotel St. Micheal.
If your on the uppity side and require the most modern of amenities and immaculant decor, don't stay here, leave the rooms available for those of us who can appreciate the simplicity and value of this neat and historical hotel. And the FREE breakfast, was GREAT. We will be back to visit and stay at the Hotel again.

• Liked — Historical feel of the Hotel
  • Disliked — room faced the alley
  • Tips/Secrets — request a court house facing room