“Loved this zoo”

Heritage Park Zoo
Ranked #8 of 71 things to do in Prescott
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary is a non-profit wildlife sanctuary, dedicated to the conservation and protection of native and exotic animals. Located in scenic Prescott, Arizona, the sanctuary provides a source of recreation, education and entertainment for all ages. With the mission of "Conservation through Education," Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary provides a unique and up-close experience with animals visitors may see nowhere else. Animals at Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary all have a story to tell and lesson to teach. We currently house more than 200 animals on our grounds - among them a Bengal Tiger, two Black Bears, two Clouded Leopard siblings, Mexican Gray Wolves, Bobcats, Lynx, Lemurs, various reptiles, and one of the largest tarantula displays in the Southwest.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
“Loved this zoo”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

It's smaller than other zoos but the staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. My kids loved watching the bar get fed I would really recommend this zoo to anyone with kids

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice little place”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly the admission fee is far more reasonable here than larger zoos, so you can afford to take the whole family. When we went it was a very hot day so unfortunately most of the animals were asleep or hiding inside. I was getting a bit disappointed at not seeing any of the big cats, when we bumped into a female member of staff. She very kindly took us over to the mountain lion and coaxed her out for us to see, whilst explaining how she ended up there. She was a beautiful animal and that brightened up the trip for us. Would suggest going on a cooler day or when the animals are more likely to be out though :)

Fayetteville, Arkansas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 190 helpful votes
“Loved it”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am not a fan of zoos. The idea of locking up animals for us to stare at is just wrong IMO. This place is different! All of the animals have been rescued, injured or abandoned. I enjoyed every minute of it. I wish some of the big cats had been out, but that is what cats do in the day - sleep. Go here, or just donate to the cause. I think the fee was $8 per person.

Visited May 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Nice little zoo”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Nice little zoo. Nice to see mainly native AZ animals and liked the rescue story on each. Since it is small we only spent about an hour there, so happy only paid $10 for 3 people with an internet deal.

Visited May 2014
Prescott, Arizona
128 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Wonderful Zoo Because it Saves Animals”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have mixed feelings when I visit zoos because of my concern for the animals being in an enclosed space. Heritage Park Zoo is different because they take animals that would or could not survive in the wild. They rehabilitate birds with injuries and will release them if they are well enough. There was an eagle that was hit by a car, scooped up by a passerby and brought to the zoo to be saved. That eagle was released back into the wild last year! They took in two bear cubs last year whose mother was killed by a car.

This is not your average zoo! The wildlife are all local from coyotes to bobcats to mountain lion to snakes. I guess there is a tiger, but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her! I don't think she is from around here.

It is small, but mighty with the power to heal. Some of the birds and animals go on road trips with their handlers to help expose people to what the zoo has to offer. It is a wonderful place with kind generous individuals who truly love animals.

Visited September 2013