“Glad I paid a visit to this historical site”

Fort Whipple Museum
Ranked #27 of 69 things to do in Prescott
More attraction details
Owner description: The headquarters for the Military Department of Arizona in 1870.
Kiev, Ukraine
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Glad I paid a visit to this historical site”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

As I had a sight-seeing tour around Prescott the feeling that I should find something more about the history of this place out. Then there came the suggestion to go to Fort Whipple. I thought it to be just a small exhibition or something like that but actually it was a nice museum offering lots of information related to the past 3 centuries. Everything was informative and well though-out. Certainly grab a photo-camera with you to capture the Victorian architecture.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank LopezSha

Prescott, Arizona, United States
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Did a Signal Mirror reenactment here”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Helped some of my ham radio friends with a Heliography demo here as this was the starting point for a large signal mirror route around the Southwest many years ago. Lot of history in the old fort but not to easy to travel around as it is a working hospital now.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank B0b_Linda
Paulden, Arizona, United States
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Historical Look”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Fort Whipple captured our attention on our first visit back in 2007. We've been back numerous times bringing visitors along with us. A great look back at fort life during the frontier days.

Visited July 2013
Surprise, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A Fine History Museum”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I had scarcely heard of this place before I visited it, just having the impression that some kind of historical information could be found in the VA center. Lo and behold, what do I discover but a very good museum, with many exhibits, covering the late 19th, early 20th Centuries in this region; also, numerous historical buildings over 100 years old. Only the very pretty museum building may be entered, but walking tours of the whole area are allowed. There are several reasons to visit Prescott; I discovered one more.

It is free, but as usual, donations are gratefully accepted.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Vorchek
Prescott, Arizona
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A Fascinating Historical Journey at Fort Whipple”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Fort Whipple is a terrific place to reflect on the historical 1800s in Prescott, Arizona. I go to the VA hospital at the same location, as I am a Vietnam veteran. Every time I visit the hospital or just take a drive around Fort Whipple I think about the soldiers and families who protected the settlers during the Indian wars. I think about the Native Americans who had to give up their land and livelihood. There is a wonderful history and artifacts Museum that offers a taste of the old West.

Among the many historical stories about Fort Whipple, is a fact based one about a colonel's daughter named Carrie Wilkins who mesmerized all the young Fort Whipple Army officers of the 1870s. Some people believe areas of the four may be haunted. Given everything that happened in around Fort Whipple, I would not be surprised.

If you are a photographer like me, you will enjoy photographing the old Victorian officers quarters houses. You will enjoy the great architecture in beautiful views.

I recommend that you drive slowly around Fort Whipple initially to get a sense of the area. It is not that large. Then I suggest that you find the parking lot and walk around the officers quarters to appreciate the architecture and to visit the museum. There is a small cantina where you can purchase lunch and refreshments which I believe opens in the afternoon.

There are so many other sites to see around Fort Whipple.

Visited January 2013