“Great Mexican Food in Prescott, AZ”
Review of Hugo's Cocina - CLOSED

Hugo's Cocina
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: NEW OWNERS! THE CHEFS BOUGHT THE PLACE! The same great food maybe with a little pride added. Durango Mexican cooking at its best.I have passed by this little place for years and didn't give it a second glance. It is a little hole-in-the-wall delight; tiny with a one person kitchen. Now I am a regular, coming a a couple of times a week when in town. If you have to wait, it is well worth it.My wife has taken to the Frijoles Enteros, a vegetarian dish of whole pinto beans, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, guacamole and sour cream, served with fresh, warmed tortillas. I need a little meat, so I ask for a small bowl of red chili to complement the beans- it is not on the menu, but they are quite willing to accommodate. The meat is tender and delicious, in a mild thin red chili sauce. Their salsa bar has chips, salsas, lime wedges and jalapenos. The jalapenos make this a perfect meal. There is a lot of food. We will share a plate as there is too much for one. We will split a red chili burro, or a green chili burro and that is a delicious lunch with a side of free chips and salsa. For a great snack, a little lime on a carne asada taco delights my taste buds and comes close to filling me up.Yes, it is a little different, funky maybe; few tables inside, most outside in the back. It's a little bit of a challenge when it is really cold outside, but I have braved the cold for the food several times. It is a comfy winter environment inside. On a warm afternoon, sitting on the patio in beautiful Prescott with the excellent flavors of Hugo's food is just perfect.
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Quick but authentic Mexican food from the smallest of kitchens with some rustic outdoor dining as well. Good for lunch there or take-out, also quick dinners.

2  Thank DavidNolanCook
There are newer reviews for Hugo's Cocina

Reviewed 26 May 2012

If you want fancy this is not the place for you but if the food and the atmosphere are what you come for then hustle your buns on down. The servers (& cooks, dishwashers & bussers -oops- that was me) are friendly and fast. We come down to Prescott regularly and are always trying new places but we ALWAYS have to eat at least once at Hugo's. The only thing that we might like is to be able to have a beer or glass of wine with our meal.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

There is so much commercialism in this world and marketing-research driven foods and design, it is refreshing to partake in fresh, wonderful Mexican food in this humble little hole in the wall. I love it!

Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here for years (14), the owners are awsome, if you can look past what appears to be a worn down old place ( i call it atmosphere) and realize the food is amazing then you will be hooked for life