“Historic Prescott” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Red Deer, Canada
“Historic Prescott”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We recently visited Prescott and stayed one night at the grand highland. What a lovely city Prescott is. We were pleased with the grand highland. It is centrally located with great parking out back. Lovely hotel restored with authentic period themes. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a great view, get the room overlooking whiskey row. It's not quiet but it is nice.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ekonshuh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I am a local and needed a place to stay downtown for a night. This hotel has had a recent makeover and is a great little historical B and B type place. Each room is unique and has a historical theme. The guest's comfort is the focus and they have tried to think ahead on things that one might need. I stayed in the suite and the bed was very comfortable. The rooms are not large but it isnt a place where you will be indoors a lot anyways. Right?
It is located on the historic Whiskey Row and easy walking distance to all of downtown.
The staff is very friendly and eager to accommodate. They have chosen the Eco line of products for personal items and I love the quality.
Now- the potential issue is if you can't handle stairs, do not bother to make a reservation. It is a steep flight up and down in this historical building. The claw foot tubs are fun but if you cannot move easily in and out, not so much. The walls are a little thin but they provide ear plugs in the room just in case.

Room Tip: There is a room to watch parades from along the front of the hotel! (Grand Highland Room)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Kittery, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful experience. Our stay in the Grand Highland Hotel was comfortable and relaxing, just what long distance travelers need, a little bit of "home". The hotel is located right in the heart of Whiskey Row, perfect walking distance to shops and restaurants. The family-owned business is run smoothly and competently by Ray who is well suited for dealing with the public. He is charming, well-informed and extremely helpful in his recommendations. The room is clean, well decorated with personal touches such as ear plugs by the night stand, beautiful, cozy bedding.
Breakfast was perfect continental -fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, coffee and pastries and bagels.
Prescott itself is friendly, and well laid out around a large community square with several historic blocks on all sides of the square. Galleries, shops and restaurants are numerous and many have been operated by the same families I for generations.
We ate at Papas, a small Italian restaurant where the food and service were terrific. The owner, a woman from Sicily greeted every diner and presented her home made soup au gratis.
All in all, an experience we would repeat. We will be back Prescott!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Simi Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel has the feel of a B & B the rooms are all different, very clean, nice antiques, loved the claw footed tub! Very quite, near everything you need for a great weekend!
The help was friendly upon arrival you are offered a glass of wine or a bottled beer. At breakfast, there were muffins, fresh fruit,yogurt,orange juice,milk & of course fresh coffee!
We will return often!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband and I recently traveled from Tucson to Prescott for a weekend trip to visit friends. We booked a room at the Grand Highland Hotel, as I always love to stay in historic, quaint hotels when we have the opportunity. The Grand Highland was everything I expected and more. The staff was extremely welcoming and helpful from the moment we got there. You can tell that they really enjoy working there, which is hard to find these days. The hotel itself was beautifully refurbished, clean, and inviting. Happy hour was a nice bonus to start off our trip, too! The rooms are each decorated to suit a particular theme. Ours was the Rodeo Room which we found charming and very comfortable (the beds are amazing), and I loved the clawfoot bath as a nice touch to the historic feel. The hotel has a prime location on Whiskey Row where we met our friends and enjoyed the bar and music scene. The next day we were pleasantly surprised by an amazing breakfast, Greek yogurt, delicious fruit, croissants, etc. Overall, I would say the Grand Highland Hotel was a great choice for us. It is a place we look forward to visiting again and again.
Beth, Tucson, AZ

Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

I don't normally write reviews because I own a hospitality business and understand that a poor review hurts a business and that I might lack credibility. (Many restaurateurs have a hard time being objective when evaluating competitive businesses and I've heard of some deliberately exaggerating perceived faults in order to boost their own restaurant by comparison. I won't do that. If I have a constructive suggestion or complaint and I think the owner of a restaurant wants to hear it, I'll share it with him or her directly, but not in print where it can harm their business.) But I promised myself I'd write a glowing review whenever I came across a great restaurant or hotel. Even though I travel and dine out a lot, I don't find many fives, so very few reviews.

What I loved about this hotel was its welcoming attitude and uncompromising drive to provide the perfect experience. The hotel was recently refurbished after sustaining some damage from a fire next door. They tore it down to the bricks and sticks and rebuilt it with modern everything. The furnishings are top quality, including the beds and pillows. The amenities are free, including in-room and reception area coffee and water and welcome beverages, i.e., Perrier and sodas. The service is super attentive. For example, we stayed two nights. The queen size bed we had the first night was a bit small for me, which I told them when the asked me the next morning how I'd slept. A room with a king size bed was available our second night. They moved us to the room with the bigger bed while we were out.

There are only two reasons anyone might not rate this hotel a FIVE:

First, because you didn't ask for what you wanted, because they would have given it to you if you had. The people working there want nothing more than to make your stay perfect and to have you come back. If they know how to make your experience better, they'll do their best to make it so. But if you want to be unhappy and complain in a review rather than ask for whatever it is you want, you may not get it.

Second, because you expected something else. You need to know that this hotel is (i) on very popular Whiskey Row, which means there will be some noise outside on weekend nights and that you're close to all the action, which we found to be a positive; (ii) the hotel has limited services, so you don't have an in-house restaurant or bar or spa or weight room, but all that stuff is available nearby and the staff will help you find it; and (iii) the rooms are small. We could call them quaint, but their limited size is a natural constraint of this historical building, which, back when Prescott was the capital of the Territory hosted a saloon downstairs and rooms upstairs where a man might hire the company of a woman of ill repute. These halls were walked by the likes of Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp. Some people might prefer a place with bigger rooms and a pool, but I'll take this charming hotel with soul and people who really care about my experience.

1 Thank Robert Q
Gilbert, Az
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed one Saturday night in the Mt. Vernon room along with another couple that occupied the Grand Highland suite. This review is not meant to steer anyone away from staying at this hotel. It is a cautionary tale regarding our night in the Mt. Vernon room due to factors outside the control of the hotel. First the positives. This 12 room boutique hotel has been lovingly restored with attention to detail and charm. The location is perfect for walking downtown Prescott and right across from Courthouse square. Check in included a free happy hour with assortment of beers, wine & cookies. Free parking is available in the parking garage behind hotel. Continental breakfast was above average. Beds are wonderful.Rooms are totally cool & cute. At check in- Rey let me know there was staff at hotel 24/7 so we could call if we needed anything.He also shared their future vision for hotel. The pride of ownership this family has in the property is obvious. I had selected the Mt. Vernon room at booking based simply on the king size bed and pictures of the room. At check in he walked us back to the room which happens to be next to the alley & parking garage behind hotel. I actually thought the room would be peaceful as it was away from Montezuma street. Now for things to consider regarding the rooms next to alley. At approx 1pm the bars let out. The parking garage acts as a Mr. Microphone for the drunks. The bar patrons stand in alley behind hotel and every word of their drunk conversations can be heard through the historic bricks of the hotel. Then they eventually migrate to the parking garage ,honk car horns and act like hip young drunk folks. Enough about the drunks. Moving on to the bar employees taking out the trash - just doing their job. The hotel is surrounded by bars- hence the nickname "Wiskey Row". After bar closing the bar clean up crew wheels their carts down the alley, open the metal trash bins with a thunk, empty the glass bottels into trash cans and roll carts back for more. Over and over again. To the hotels credit- there is a sign in room letting you know to call front desk if you need ear plugs. Being an optomist (and not coherent at 2pm) I figured every drunk group would be the last and did not call for ear plugs. Honestly- I also did not want to get out of the wonderful cozy bed. This review is not meant to discourage someone from staying at the hotel.This property deserves accolades and kudos for the restorations. As a TA poster and fan I want to warn fellow TA members to carefully consider your choice of rooms and ability to sleep through noise such as shattering glass bottels, drunks and car horns. The alley noise does not seem to travel to the front of hotel. A staff member at breakfast kindly asked how we slept last night. My reply was terrible. I suggested to her that an option was to just leave ear plugs in the rooms next to back alley. Don't make travelers call the front desk for these in the middle of the night. I felt the cost of the Mt. Vernon room ( $169 weekend) was of poor value alloting for the alley noise from 1-3pm. The noise from house band behind hotel was fine to sleep too. Regrettably- there is nothing romantic about glass bottels being emptied into metal trash cans and drunks being drunks once the house band stops. That being said- Prescott remains everybodies hometown.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LVaddict4life
Grand H, Owner at Grand Highland Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We strive to do all we can to make your stay with us enjoyable, comfortable and restful. Please except our apology for not being able to meet your expectations.

We heard you! We now have earplugs available in the rooms on the night stands so you won't have to leave our cozy, comfortable beds!

We do have very quiet rooms located in the middle of the hotel, especially the middle rooms on the south side.

We hope you will choose to come stay with us again. Please call us and we will be glad to help you select a room that will better suit your sleeping needs.

Again, please accept our apology.

The Grand Highland Hotel Owner/Management Team