“Eclectic Dining Experience”

Ranked #4 of 226 Restaurants in Prescott
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic
Description: An Eclectic Mix of Spanish Inspired Tapas, and Southwestern Entrees.Quirky, fun atmosphere with outdoor patio dining, live music, full bar and extensive wine selections, bottled beers, as well as draft.Locals favorite for Happy Hour.Open Daily at 11 except Sunday, when we open at Noon. Reservations excepted.
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We sat outside late in the day in an almost garden setting on the patio. There is plenty of shade so you don't feel like you are sitting in direct sunlight. It was very relaxing and in the true nature of an outdoor Prescott dining experience. I had a couple of tapas and was very pleased with both - including lamb. My husband had a Mexican dish and was very happy with his dinner. Their menu has many healthy options and creative recipes. I loved how they used their own veggies and herbs in their dishes from their own gardens which were on the roof, in pots, and in rain gutters on the wall, very unique. The service was not impressive. My hope is that they will get servers that are familiar with real serving, not just meandering around...it would have been nice to have been served. I will definitely return for the atmosphere and the food.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Four of us went to dinner lat night. Great atmosphere sitting on the patio on a warm summer night. The menu is a mix of tapas and entrees and is on the surface a great offering of flavorful, inventive items. However: a stir fry of Southwest ingredients had an overwhelmingly vinegary aroma and taste and was a strange mix of cooked and raw veggies. The shrimp were well cooked and added $5 to the cost. One of us had a pasta putanesca, or so the menu indicated. Too bad it was not was delivered to the table. Putanesca sauce is tomato based, redolent of olives, has a salty tang and a good bit of heat. This sauce was watery, like a vegetable broth and had no flavor and was notably lacking in that characteristic salty tang. The other diner had a grilled beef kabob that was flavorful but overcooked and tough. A ganache torte for dessert tasted of cheap chocolate chips and was served too cold on a bare plate with all the visual appeal of wall paper paste. If you go on Thursday, Friday or Sunday there can be some good music, but stick with a glass of wine from the boring list and one or two tapas. Won't be cheaper but should be more reliable. Azul also has the slowest kitchen in the west.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Wow! I enjoyed the many choices of tapas. I especially liked the green olive tapenade. The portion was generous, savory and went very well with the other skewered chicken and ceviche tapas.

Thank jchi540 .
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were at Local First AZ Mixer where I met Barry and his partner. Since the mixer didn't have much food, so we decided to goto try El Gato Azul. I have to say that the food was amazing, the flavors were unique and the ingredients were off the wall fun and refreshing. However, our server Kathryn was terrible. She greeted us about 10 minutes after we sat, took forever to come back for the drink order. She never check on us with the apps. Multiple times she would just disregard our table and go do something else. Kathryn Asked if we were done and we asked for a box to go. When she brought the food back from packaging, we were going to ask for a desert menu. Instead she dropped the food and the check off assuming we were done. Then it took another 15 minutes to realize she may never get back to the table.So we got up and handed her the check to be paid. I went back to the table to sign the check. I was so appalled with her that I left her nothing and wrote "get a new job!" Please fix the waitstaff!!!

blbcorners, Owner at El Gato Azul, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Michael,

Thank you for dining with us last evening. I'm sorry you were not pleased with your experience, and wish you had made your displeasure known to the server, hostess or other staff, so that you might have had the experience you expected.

Occasionally things fall through the cracks, but the easiest way to salvage your evening, so you do not walk away unhappy, is to simply communicate this to your server or management. Most issues can be easily fixed, and allow you to enjoy your night, rather than leaving unpleased.

As a fellow member of Local First, I am confident you are aware of the premise of the group, and am disappointed that you did not reach out to me personally to convey your experience.

Organizations such as this exist not only as a marketing tool, but also to help owners network, gather feedback, improve their operations, and establish long term business relationships.

Upon reading your other reviews, I noticed that you are generally not happy with the service you receive at restaurants. I am not sure if your business is in the service industry, or not, but there are many challenges to the servers, and all staff members during the dining evening.

As a fellow small business owner, you know the value of customer feedback, both positive and negative. The best way to rectify a poor experience, is to communicate your issues with the server, hostess, manger or ownership at the point it occurs.

While I do not recall meeting you at the event, you can be confident that should I have the opportunity of utilizing your services, regardless of the experience, I will contact you direct as well as follow up with a fair and accurate review on line.

Rants can be cathartic, but, they can also be extremely damaging to not only the business, but the individual employee.

The server you mentioned in your multiple posts on line (yelp, urbanspoon, and here) is one of our strongest and most dedicated employees. In conversation with her today, she was unaware, and was not made aware that you had issues, until you denied her a tip, and left your comment - she would have done her best to rectify any negative issues.

Kathyrn is a strong server with a loyal following and receives very positive comments. I feel your experience was out of the norm, and your comments unwarranted.

All the best to you in you endeavors.

Barry L. Barbe
proprietor, El Gato Azul

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Spanish do it right. Wine and an assortment of tapas make for a fun night out with friends or a nice romantic evening. small and quaint El Gato Azul is a great place to go to get away from the standard food fare.