“I thought it was quite lovely and quaint”

Apple Creek Cottages
Reviewed 30 November 2009

My boyfriend and I recently made a trip up to Prescott for a vacation away from school and work. I have to say firstly that Prescott is one of the nicest cities I have been to in a long time. It is beautiful, fully of lakes, parks, camping, and a wonderful downtown night life.

We chose our place of lodging before reading reviews about Apple Creek Cottages, and a few days before we left I finally got around to reading reviews and just wanted to cry and curl up into a ball in the corner. With much reassurance from my boyfriend and the manager, we kept our reservation and I must say with confidence that that was the best idea I have ever had. The cottages were adorable, comfortable, and nothing like the reviews.

We stayed in one of the more contemporary cottages, but I found the scenery to be very cute, cliche, and quirky. I had no issues with feeling that the cottage was no more clean than my home would be or what you would expect in a semi-wilderness setting. I loved all the random ornaments everywhere and found it to be quite appealing. It was so nice to build a fire in the pit that is on site, although I do feel bad for the couple whose dog we kept waking at 9:30 pm.

One thing to note is that people are more likely to write a review if they have had a bad experience. Think for every bad experience, generally there is 8 people that in fact had a wonderful one.

Another thing to note is that it's not a Hilton, it's a cottage in the mountains. It's not gonna be perfect. You should expect things to have a little dust on them.

My recommendations would be to bring your own towels and bring your own food essentails.

My recommendations to the owner would be to get better towels, have a supply to check out of basics like oil or salt, and possibly get someone to help run the office.

The manager is super helpful, but it is hard to be needed at all hours of the day 24/7 when you're the only one. You will end up having to call if you need help and she isn't on the premises.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 September 2009

I am a frequent visitor to the Prescott area and always stay at Apple Creek Cottages. I recently recommended it to a business associate who came upon this site and its reviews. Needless to say, he was somewhat concerned. I reassured him. I would like to state that this site could be either a very good tool or a very bad tool. I know for a fact that the place has never taken cats so I am not sure about that particular entry is about. When asked, people are told dogs are welcome but cats are normally not. It is my understanding that there was sufficient damage done previously. Hmm - previous entry re cat? Is it the Hilton? No and people are made aware that they are in a rustic setting,in the Pines/Woods (where bugs are plentiful at times - hello???) and the cottages were indeed built years ago. Some people are just never happy no matter where they end up and almost always find something to complain about. This place has enough repeat customers that I often find myself seeing the same people year after year. That alone is enough recommendation for me.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank QueenMotherPhoenix
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Cute cottages and well-maintained lawn. I will have to agree that cleaning is NOT their strong suit! The walls have probably not been washed since the place was built, and some of the dishes were dirty. It needs a thorough cleaning. Guests are supposed to clean up after themselves, but the management really should be more diligent in checking everything! On the plus side, this place has great beds and is super quiet. It was a good value for the money, and the proprietor is very friendly. The plastic flowers and plastic vines are quirky.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We are repeat guests to the Apple Creek Cottages and have been pleased each time we stay. I am confused by some of the other posts as we come here to get away from the stresses of life! Susan the owner has always been so helpful and personable with us. The cottages are cute and quaintly rustic. If we wanted to be around a gaggle of people we don't know, we would stay at a hotel in the area. However, we love the peace and serenity of the courtyard and are able to bbq right in the beautiful pine trees and different shrubbery located all over the grounds. We do not have pets, but enjoy all the pets that are guests with their owners. We will return and enjoy all the ammenities that Prescott and the Apple Creek Cottages have to offer!.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2009

If I knew how to contact an agency that inspects motels, cottages, etc., I would advise them to go immediately to Apple Creek Cottages and condemn this business. In fact, I may do just that (health services or something).

We chose this place because it welcomes pets and we wanted to see how our cat, Omar, would manage on a trip. As far as Omar the cat, he does not travel well and won't be going with us anymore.

As far as this motel/cottage, how can anybody live with themselves knowing they are renting out such rooms as these? The chairs and sofa had ground-in dirt, the carpet appeared to be even worse, the curtains were dusty and were falling from the little clips that hold them on the rod. We were given two towels and two washcloths to last for three days. There was one roll of toilet paper in the bath room and no extras.

There was one dish cloth in the kitchen. Everything had layers of dust.

We did see the manager/owner, Susan, who asked that we be truthful with her and I said the place is dirty, it needs to be steam cleaned. She thanked me for my honesty and said something about the economy being the way it is. The economy may be bad, but that is no excuse for such filth.

We were supposed to stay three nights, but after the first night we picked up and got ourselves back to hot, hot, hot Phoenix, Arizona where I took a good, hot shower.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phoenix_AZTravelers
Reviewed 9 May 2009

We have stayed at Apple Creek twice now in the last year and are going back in June,09
for our grand daughter's birthday. We bring both our dogs and enjoy the simple beauty
and refreshing old fashion nature of the place.
It is a treat to be in a motel that is not sterile, faceless, and a rubber stamp of every other place you find duplicated in every other city. Our room is always waiting for us with the heat on in cool weather. Our dogs love the open space between the rooms, and the little creek down below the cottages. It is pleasant to sit outside at night around the fire pit. This place is casual and Susan, the owner is friendly and accomodating. What a relief to get away from the anonymous, cookie cutter nullility of your standard American motels.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donwitscher
Reviewed 1 December 2008

The place is nasty, dirty and filthy, nothing as they advertise. The bathroom had stains and dirt on walls and doors; I had to go to the store to buy bleach to clean it up before we could use it. There were dirty dishes in the kitchen when we came in. Nobody in the office for days, no answer on the phone .Stay away!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tinaRCa