“the real "roach motel"”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Prescott
Tempe, Arizona
“the real "roach motel"”
Reviewed 11 October 2008

Where do I begin...my wife and I stayed the night of October 10th in room 16 of the Hotel Vendome. I chose the hotel for its great location near downtown. We were lucky"" enough to be assigned a room at the very end of the hall where the electrical service box was located on the outside wall. There was an annoying, pulsating electrical hum that resonated into the room to the point where my wife had to stuff toilet paper in her ears in order to get to sleep. About 1:30 am, my wife was awakened by a cockroach crawling on her face. Needless to say, it took us some time to get back to sleep after I killed the roach. As we checked out, I expected the clerk to ask about our stay at which time I planned to express my disappointment but instead the clerk hummed a tune to himself while he processed the credit card receipt and made no eye contact and didn't speak a word to me. I'm 65 years old and have traveled extensively in the U.S., Canada and Europe and this was the worst night my wife and I have ever spent in a hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — loud pulsating hum from electrical box on outside wall and visit by a cockroach at 1:30am
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank TempeArizonaDavid
VendomeHotel, Owner at Hotel Vendome, responded to this review, 3 February 2009
We have agonized over this review. We have even discussed it with some of the other B&B and hotel owners since this same person has given some other awful accounts of staying at their places too. We can't quite figure out the part about the electric box. If they stayed at the end of the hall in room 16, it is on the second floor. Our electric box is on the first floor located in the middle of the building. Our heat and air kick on and off, but other than that, we can't figure out what they were hearing during the night. As far as a cockroach...never has a guest complained about that, nor have we or our housekeepers ever seen one here. We once had a beehive located under an eve, but had it exterminated as soon as it was found. Since then, we have regularly scheduled exterminations as a preventative precaution. University Pest Control inspects regularly and records their findings. We would be happy to share their reports with anyone who asks. Calling us a "roach motel" is about as hurtful as it gets and could damage our family business tremendously. Our greatest concern is that we want everyone who comes here to have a positive experience and try to do everything we can to make it so. We can't figure out who this person was from his description of his experience here. Nor has anything happened here that is similar to what he is describing that makes us recall his stay. We wish we could speak with him directly and would welcome direct and honest communication. We would like to hear about his stay from his perspective to understand exactly what happened. Frank and Kathie Langford, owners.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
England
Reviewed 15 July 2008

This is a hotel with charm. It is an historic curiousity and an intersting place to stay because of that. Do not expect spacious rooms or any of the accoutrements of purpose-built hotel chains but revel in the many other features. The owner and service staff are friendly and will provide information about places of interest in Prescott. The town, itself, has many qualitites. Try to visit the Sharlott Museum for instance. Nearby Jerome is also something not to be missed. The Rose restaurant, recommended by Hotel Vendome, is excellent.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Rambler55
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 14 July 2008

I rented two rooms (the one with the ghost and the one in front) and both were clean and comfortable. Room 16 (with the ghost) had a very small bathroom and a square bathtub similar to that in some hospitals.

The other room had a bigger bathroom, with a nice old tub (old but CLEAN). They provide soap made in Prescott, which I thought was nice since nothing seems to be original anymore :-) They also had all the other toilettries.

Breakfast was a little croweded and very basic. Coffee, juice, milk, cereals, and bread.

I liked that it was close to downtown, so we could walk to it.

Like I said, it was just enough.... and we went in the low season, so the price was just right.

• Liked — The story about the ghost, even though we didn't see it.
  • Disliked — Breakfast selection
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Psykiya
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 7 July 2008

I spent two nights at the Hotel Vendome over the 4th of July weekend and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. I was greeted when I arrived by one of the owner's, Frank, and was quite impressed when he addressed me by name the following morning during breakfast. Frank and his wife were quite gracious hosts.

The location of the hotel was perfect for my needs. Just a couple of blocks from Whiskey Row and the Courthouse Plaza where many holiday events were staged during the entire weekend (arts & crafts fair, live bands at the courthouse, boot races, etc.) and only a couple of miles to the rodeo grounds. The hotel is also located along the parade route. Guests could sit on the chairs or benches on the veranda or in chairs on the sidewalk and enjoy the 170+ parade entries roll by.

While the hotel is reputed to be haunted by former owner Abbie and her cat, I did not have the opportunity to encounter them.

The hotel really does have a bed and breakfast feel to it and I enjoyed getting to know some of the other guests.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Historic hotel, location, and friendly staff.
  • Disliked — In speaking with older guests, the old-fashioned clawed tubs were way too high for them to get into and out of the tub.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank SanDiegan79
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviewed 7 May 2008

Romantic and lovely! I loved this old hotel with all it's interesting features, furnishings and decor. Walking distance to everything. We really had a chance to relax, sit on the porch rockers and have a glass of wine. It's my new getaway. Prescott is a lovely town to spend time in.

• Liked — Atmosphere, wine bar, front porch
  • Disliked — No restaurant in building, but many were within walking distance
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MountainMan18
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 6 April 2008

This hotel is a historic building right in downtown Prescott. There are old fashioned quilts on the beds, and our room had a clawfoot tub. They have an average complimentary breakfast in the morning. The lobby has a bar, and there is a nice front porch area with benches and rocking chairs. The location is fantastic with restaurants and bars all within close walking distance. The only drawback was that the rooms didn't feel very private, because you could really hear any noise in the hallway.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — didn't feel very private
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank kexueli
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2007

We absolutely loved the Vendome.

Our room was warm, comfortable and genuinely cozy. The en-suite was clean, well equipped and huge- almost as big as the room itself.

We received a warm welcome at check-in and the small staff was friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Breakfast was basic but plentiful with cereals, hot drinks, fruit and pastries.

The Vendome is ideally situated for a stay in Prescott, located in a tranquil side street yet just a stones throw from the heart of downtown.

If you’re looking for something comfortable, convenient and with genuine character, look no further than the Vendome. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Charming atmosphere and comfortable room.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple