“Italian jewel in the desert”

Nonna Vivi Wood Oven Pizzeria
Ranked #4 of 13 Restaurants in Rio Rico
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Green Valley, Arizona
“Italian jewel in the desert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

After having an unpleasant experience at another Italian restaurant nearby (Melio's - Tubac), this was like a breath of fresh air. The staff was cordial, service and food were outstanding. We split a Greek salad. The produce was fresh and the balsamic dressing was good. I ordered the Celeste, a rigatoni pasta in a light gorgonzola sauce with sweet Italian sausage. My partner had the Mediteranno, same pasta with a pecan basil pesto, kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts and chicken. Both portions were very generous and excellent. We finished our meal splitting a tiramisu dessert. The manager and owner stopped by our table for introductions and to make sure our dining experience was a good one. Located in a small strip mall. This place is a sleeper and a keeper. Cannot wait to go back and try other dishes.

• Visited August 2014

Bisbee, Arizona
“Don't order the pasta!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife ordered the pasta dish that was listed as having kalamata olives, artichokes, and chicken. What showed up was pasta covered with green glop that looked like it came out of a blender. No visible chicken, olives, etc.

Service was very slow throughout the meal.

• Visited August 2014
Bellingham
“Greek Italian food done right with smiling servers.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

This place is an absolute gem. Eaten here several times now and love the food here. The gyros is my favorite dish. The food is so super fresh and delicious. You can even see into the kitchen as they stretch out the dough for your freshly made pizza. The servers greet you with a smile and remember their guests.
I don't live in or anywhere near the quaint little town Rio Rico, AZ, but this is a place I would go to on a regular basis if I did...and wish that it was. This is the kind if place that would thrive, even if it were in or closer to a big city.
Job very well done here.

• Visited July 2014
Green Valley, AZ
“Return Visit for Wood Oven Pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Once again enjoyed our Sausage Pizza with Red Sauce instead of the pesto offered. Great thin crust. Very disappointed in their Antipasto Salad. Probably the worst one we have had due to the fact there was hardly anything to it. Small bits of cheese and meat. Their other salads looked better.

• Visited June 2014
Arizona
“Worth waiting for a table to get great thin crust pizza. They take good care of thier customers.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Great thin crust, even a plain cheese pizza is great but the pesto sauces are the best. The salads are good - even my kids will eat them. Adequate wine and beer selection to go with the meals. I've liked all the pasta dishes I've tried there. The only item on the menu that I would not order again are the gyros - they are the same as you would get at any of a dozen places in the area, so I doubt that they are actually created in the kitchen. Our family meals, including tip and a drink or two for the adults, average around $13 per person - a good value. The seating is limited so we often have to wait for a table, but it is worth the wait.

• Visited April 2014