“I Love This Place!!!”

Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Rio Verde
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“I Love This Place!!!”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Tonto Verde is one of the nicest and friendliest communities! What a great place to live. Two championship golf courses with mountain views in every direction, use your own personal golf cart, a beautiful clubhouse with great food and lots of fun, fun, fun. We sat out on the outdoor patio for lunch. What a view...the patio looks over a lake with Egrets fishing the waters and mountain peaks in the background. And the food was outstanding. It's a great place to consider for a second home or a permanent retirement home. Love the lifestyle!

Visited November 2012

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Two golf course in one community!”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Tonto Verde is a great place just outside the Phoenix area to rent, visit, or consider staying for a longer visit. They have not only one but two 18-hole golf courses offering plenty of variety and challenge, and fabulous views of the mountains and four peaks. Friendly and helpful pro shop, and the "19th hole" offers a great lounge and deck for a drink and/or dinner after golf. The pool was beautiful, and the fitness center was top-notch. Definitely on the list to return to.

Visited October 2012
Omaha, NE
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great golf and dinner destination!”
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Played the Ranch course and ate in one of the dining rooms in early November 2012. Both were excellent!

First the golf. I'm not a great golfer. I golf a couple of times each year, and I'm probably a 24 handicapper at this point. The clubhouse was very nice and very well cared for; clean and attractive. People at the clubhouse and at the practice tees & putting green were very friendly and helpful. Rented clubs were fine, although no long irons in the bag. The course itself was in really great shape. I thought the Ranch course played very "fair", in that when you hit a good shot you were rewarded (not penalized by the ball falling off a crowned green, etc.). When I played it, I didn't think the course was long by any means, but it played at 6250 yards, which I think is pretty average length. I wouldn't say it's a difficult course, nor would I say it was easy. It kind of hits a nice medium between the two, leaving me with a feeling that I had been challenged but not abused (if you know what I mean). The views of the surrounding mountains and desert as you play are fantastic. Unlike other reviewers, I met the Marshall out on the course twice, and both time he was friendly and not rushing us. Price for 18 holes was very reasonable at about $60, plus club rental. I look forward to golfing here again.

Now for the dining. We ate in the Mesquite Bar & Grill and the food was excellent!!! It was a Friday night so they had an all you can eat fish and chips special for $14.95, which I had. It was very good. My wife had a crab cake dish on a bed of sauteed onions and avocado with sweet potato fries, and it was awesome!! Wine and beverage list was fairly extensive, and reasonably priced too. Service by the wait staff was excellent; friendly and attentive, but not intrusive. Prices VERY reasonable, especially when you considered the quality of the food! We will DEFINITELY will return here!!

Visited November 2012
Ocala, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Cimarron Dining Room and the Mesquite Bar and Grill. What hidden gems!”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We discovered both the Tonto Verde Mesquite Bar and Grill as well as the Cimarron Dining room a couple moths ago.
What a hidden gem. Chef Chris Faulkner, trained with Roy Yamaguchi of the famous "Roy's", is a real standout in the eating establishment. Chef Chris does a well then above average job with the blending of flavors, ingredients appealing presentation to put out some first class fare. Honestly, every time we've eaten here, with friends or just the two of us, Chef has absolutely knocked it out of the park. If the good food was not enough they are now running weekly "specials" on all sorts of dining experiences. We particularly like the Thursday night fare which starts with two main entrees for just $29.95. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the pastry chef as well. This young lady also completes a stellar kitchen lineup. Try the Carrot Cake or Key Lime pie. My gosh, I could just inhale this stuff.

Great value, good food and a very capable, friendly staff - it simply doesn't get any better then this jewel in the desert! Especially when you consider all the foodies in Scottsdale.

Visited May 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Identity Crisis”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Our group of 6 visited in February during our annual golf trip. Tonto Verde is a beautiful, well maintained golf club with pleasant staff members, but the area offers many similar quality courses providing guests a better overall experience. Tonto Verde has an identity (financial?) crisis. Is it a private club for its members or is it semi-private selling rounds online and through aggregators and requiring a different operating philosophy. Food service is a major disappointment - the restaurant is not open for early (non-member?) golfers, the golf cart is not well stocked, food is not offered at the turns and golfers between rounds in need of quick restaurant service are not accommodated. While we enjoyed playing the 2 courses, we will look elsewhere next year.

Visited February 2012