“Great Value; Great Greens; 80% Private/20% Public”

Tonto Verde Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Rio Verde
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Two 18 Hole Courses @ Tonto Verde... the Ranch Course and the Peaks Course. We played the Ranch Course twice during the last two weeks. Supposedly, it's the longer and wider of the two courses. Greens were in excellent shape (compared to TPC Scottsdale, Eagle Mountain, ASU Karstens). $60 after 1pm is a great rate for around here this time of year. Tonto Verde has been holding a great number of Shotgun starts... at 8am and 1pm. We tee'd off in a Non-Shotgun day at 1pm and finished in 4 hours 16 minutes. The marshall did suggest on 3 holes that we might want to speed up (???)... very kind about it, but surely not necessary. Pro Shop and all other staff very friendly. Course is fun. Located about 15 minutes North of Fountain Hills, AZ on the East side of the Valley.

Reviewed 12 February 2013

That pretty well sums up our experience of living at Tonto Verde. My wife and I have now experienced living in Tonto Verde for just over a year, and would like to share our experience. As background, we are “snowbirds” as we are now spending our summers in Minnesota and wintering at Tonto Verde.

We originally bought a townhouse at Troon North back in 2005, with the intention of finding an active adult retirement community to buy a home in upon retirement. Over the past several years we checked out several golf communities in the Phoenix area before buying at Tonto Verde.

Our top priorities for a community to buy a home in were good golf with preferably more than one course to play, great views and a solid sense of community. Well we got all that and a lot more at Tonto Verde. The Peaks and the Ranch golf courses are challenging, playable and kept in great shape. Tonto Verde also has a beautiful 18 hole putting course which was attractive to us, but we had no idea of how much of a hit it would be with our many visitors. Golfers and non-golfers love to go out there and play. There are more golf and non-golf events to get involved in than we could ever have time for.

Socially Tonto Verde has far exceeded our expectations. We play in golf and card groups, attend some of the many music or art activities and frequently meet up with friends for dinner either at the Tonto Verde Bar & Grill or the many restaurants in either north Scottsdale or in and near Fountain Hills.

All in all Tonto Verde has turned into a wonderful active retirement home for us. Tonto Verde is semi-private so you can still experience it by playing golf there followed by a drink and/or meal on the beautiful patio, renting a home there thru one of the local realtors or Rio Verde rentals or by staying there for a few days in the Discovery Home available thru the Tonto Verde website.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

Tonto Verde is one of the nicest and friendliest communities! What a great place to live. Two championship golf courses with mountain views in every direction, use your own personal golf cart, a beautiful clubhouse with great food and lots of fun, fun, fun. We sat out on the outdoor patio for lunch. What a view...the patio looks over a lake with Egrets fishing the waters and mountain peaks in the background. And the food was outstanding. It's a great place to consider for a second home or a permanent retirement home. Love the lifestyle!

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Tonto Verde is a great place just outside the Phoenix area to rent, visit, or consider staying for a longer visit. They have not only one but two 18-hole golf courses offering plenty of variety and challenge, and fabulous views of the mountains and four peaks. Friendly and helpful pro shop, and the "19th hole" offers a great lounge and deck for a drink and/or dinner after golf. The pool was beautiful, and the fitness center was top-notch. Definitely on the list to return to.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Played the Ranch course and ate in one of the dining rooms in early November 2012. Both were excellent!

First the golf. I'm not a great golfer. I golf a couple of times each year, and I'm probably a 24 handicapper at this point. The clubhouse was very nice and very well cared for; clean and attractive. People at the clubhouse and at the practice tees & putting green were very friendly and helpful. Rented clubs were fine, although no long irons in the bag. The course itself was in really great shape. I thought the Ranch course played very "fair", in that when you hit a good shot you were rewarded (not penalized by the ball falling off a crowned green, etc.). When I played it, I didn't think the course was long by any means, but it played at 6250 yards, which I think is pretty average length. I wouldn't say it's a difficult course, nor would I say it was easy. It kind of hits a nice medium between the two, leaving me with a feeling that I had been challenged but not abused (if you know what I mean). The views of the surrounding mountains and desert as you play are fantastic. Unlike other reviewers, I met the Marshall out on the course twice, and both time he was friendly and not rushing us. Price for 18 holes was very reasonable at about $60, plus club rental. I look forward to golfing here again.

Now for the dining. We ate in the Mesquite Bar & Grill and the food was excellent!!! It was a Friday night so they had an all you can eat fish and chips special for $14.95, which I had. It was very good. My wife had a crab cake dish on a bed of sauteed onions and avocado with sweet potato fries, and it was awesome!! Wine and beverage list was fairly extensive, and reasonably priced too. Service by the wait staff was excellent; friendly and attentive, but not intrusive. Prices VERY reasonable, especially when you considered the quality of the food! We will DEFINITELY will return here!!