“Fascinating Look Back, Down”

Titan Missile Museum
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Sahuarita
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The guided tour shows visitors how ready the U.S. was for war with the Soviets.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Even if you are not into history or war, this is a must see if you are any where near Tucson. This amazing site has been preserved for us to view and learn, so don't miss out on the opportunity. I was amazed at the absolute size and scale of the facility and the missile. Once you go underground, you step back in time. The control room looks as if it was preserved from the last live operation. There are so many neat things to look at here. I did bring two pre-teen boys and we had no problems. I would say that if your children are quiet, well behaved and avoid touching things - you should have no problems. There are some tight stairways, but the guides are excellent and really allow you to take your time. Enough can't be said about the wonderful guides- many who worked here when the site was active. What a rare opportunity to talk to the people who saw history unfold. Don't miss it. Bring a camera and see back in time.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,057)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"great history lesson"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have visited the Titan Missile Museum and Pima Air and Space Museum many times over the years. We always bring our out of town guests and they are amazed. I grew up during the cold war and didn't fully understand what was actually going on. This tour puts it all in perspective so well. We are very appreciative some people had the foresight to save one of these sights. Thanks to the volunteers for their time. We noticed the Tripadvisor sign on the door so we thought we would write a review. Also I see a review to my right about children at the museum not being welcomed. We have brought my daughter and her family there several times and her children were always treated well there. On one of our tours a few years ago, there were some noisy children and it did distract from the tour momentarily but they were quieted by one of the tour guides. I guess you can't please everyone.

1  Thank David F
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The site is easily accessed, and close to the I-19. The staff were very friendly and seemed genuinely happy we were there. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and fun to listen to. Mt wife was selected to 'sit in the chair' and 'turn the key'. The site is meticulously maintained. The one think I wish is that the living quarters were included in the tour. I heartily recommend this stop if you are at all interested in learning anything about the missile teams or the cold war period.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family and I have spent the last few days reading about the Titan Missile Museum and were really excited to go visit it today. We have 3 kids that I homeschool 5,4 and 2 so this was supposed to be a educational experience and memories made for my family. I should start off by saying that my kids were EXCEPTIONALLY well behaved and being very very good as we had talked about having "inside voices" and remembering that other people would be there with us. The SECOND we walked inside the lobby we were "greeted" with complaints from the staff about having children. They told us we would be escorted out if my kids made any noise, they wouldn't let my oldest child have one of the Junior Missileer booklets or a pencil to use because they didn't want her coloring on walls or hurting herself on the tour and that was after I said that I would hold her pencil for her while we were inside the tour. They just went on and on and on and on about how this wasn't kid friendly even after I called the other day to make sure it was and the website clearly states "kid friendly" They made me paranoid that if my kids even breathed the wrong way we would be in trouble so instead they suggest we just walk around outside in the 100 degree weather where no one was to just look at things. My kids were very very upset and disappointed. Our children are our next generation of engineers and scientists and all we were trying to do was cultivate a love for history and learning and instead were shown the door. I will never go back and am extremely disappointed in the behavior of the staff, looking at us like we had leprosy the minute we walked in.

4  Thank MFrav
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Looks like a fun place but not if you have kids, they don’t like kids so forget about it if you want to take the family. When I got there with my three kids all the staff was telling me was what a disruption my kids would be to everyone and how we would probably be asked to leave. My five year old was very excited to see it but can’t because she’s a kid, so we just left. Truly sad that families are punished for having kids, there website is such a lie when it says that it’s kid friendly, maybe kid friendly to show you the door. They need to schedule a family, kid friend tour so everyone can enjoy and learn about the Titan Missile Museum.

5  Thank Justin F