Yup. Me too. I have never had a problem with naming my price on Priceline because I always check out all of the places they are calling "4 star". I look at the cheapest one (there's always one $80 one hidden in there with all of the $300 ones) and if I can live with it, I go for it. In this case, I failed to see the Scottsdale Plaza as one of the options, so when we ended up there and I saw all the bad reviews I freaked out a bit.
GOOD NEWS: It is actually very nice and comfortable. Huge (built more for conferences than intimate holidays, I would say), pretty grounds like everyone says, cute little bunnies at sunset, and excellent service.
BUT HERE'S THE IMPORTANT TRICK: I kept reading about the annoying AC units that go on and off all night, and I really, really hate that. I can put up with a little dirt, some lackluster service, and plenty of other indignities, but a loud, chugging air device that will keep me up all night is a deal-breaker. So I called and upgraded to a suite for only $25 more than the $80ish we had already paid to Priceline, and it was great. Quiet, big, central AC, the whole deal. Yes, it's silly that they don't have free wi-fi, but we were only there for a night.
If you need a good, affordable stop-over place in Scottsdale, go for it. If you are planning a family vacation, I'd say this place feels more corporate than resort-y, but it's a perfectly respectable place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Where the Old West Meets the New Guests arriving at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort find an oasis of tranquility that evokes a sense of home while capturing the essence of Arizona. Graceful Spanish Mediterranean architecture and décor create a cozy, private estancia-style feel. Warm desert breezes and views of Camelback Mountain in the distance settle the pulse. Nearby Cave Creek offers a glimpse into the life of the old west while James Beard award winning Chefs are crafting new specialties in Scottsdale and Phoenix. A Room for Every Lifestyle The Scottsdale Plaza's five distinctive room, suite and lodge options are arranged in intimate clusters that allow for quiet and privacy. Options ranging from larger-than-standard, deluxe guest rooms to beautifully appointed, residence-style lodges and suites and an extraordinary Presidential Suite, we have the perfect room for family vacations, romantic getaways and corporate groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Scottsdale Plaza Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Scottsdale Plaza Hotel Paradise Valley
- Scottsdale Plaza Resort Arizona