“You Clicked "4 Stars" on Priceline, right?”

Scottsdale Plaza Resort
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Portland, Oregon
“You Clicked "4 Stars" on Priceline, right?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Yup. Me too. I have never had a problem with naming my price on Priceline because I always check out all of the places they are calling "4 star". I look at the cheapest one (there's always one $80 one hidden in there with all of the $300 ones) and if I can live with it, I go for it. In this case, I failed to see the Scottsdale Plaza as one of the options, so when we ended up there and I saw all the bad reviews I freaked out a bit.

GOOD NEWS: It is actually very nice and comfortable. Huge (built more for conferences than intimate holidays, I would say), pretty grounds like everyone says, cute little bunnies at sunset, and excellent service.

BUT HERE'S THE IMPORTANT TRICK: I kept reading about the annoying AC units that go on and off all night, and I really, really hate that. I can put up with a little dirt, some lackluster service, and plenty of other indignities, but a loud, chugging air device that will keep me up all night is a deal-breaker. So I called and upgraded to a suite for only $25 more than the $80ish we had already paid to Priceline, and it was great. Quiet, big, central AC, the whole deal. Yes, it's silly that they don't have free wi-fi, but we were only there for a night.

If you need a good, affordable stop-over place in Scottsdale, go for it. If you are planning a family vacation, I'd say this place feels more corporate than resort-y, but it's a perfectly respectable place.

Room Tip: If you hate loud AC units, upgrade to a suite for just $25 more.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank akafau
scottsdaleplaza, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank you for choosing The Scottsdale Plaza Resort! Thank you for the feedback regarding the air conditioning units and we hope you enjoyed your stay in your upgraded suite. We have recently made improvements across the entire resort with a $3 million renovation and we hope our future guests will be pleased with the new changes. We hope to see you again next time you're in the area!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Moore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Nice and clean, but wouldn't really call it a resort. We got it off priceline. Do online to get a decent rate. Did not use spa or eat breakfast there.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Thanks for staying at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. We hope to see you again, next time you are in the area!
Decatur, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

I've been traveling to Scottsdale for more than a decade. I've probably stayed at most all of the "nicer" resorts and hotels in the area. But I would have to say that my recent stay at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort was my favorite of them all. I had the opportunity to upgrade (for a minimal fee) to a suite. This was a perfect option for my wife and me. We called it our "Scottsdale condo"!

The room was spacious and very comfortable. We had our own private patio and we were only a few steps from our car when we left the room. (There was NO charge for parking! Some of the other resort we’ve stayed at charged a fee for your car to spend the night.) The ice machine was in close walking distance, far enough to not be bothered by the noise but close enough that it was easily accessible.

The pool area was well maintained and open 24 hours a day. It's very refreshing especially during the desert heat in late June. We loved spending time there in the mornings and evenings. It was just perfect!

The location of this resort was convenient for shopping and restaurants.

The staff was very friendly and professional. This is NOT a stuffy resort. It IS a resort that is comfortable and relaxing. For my money... This Is The Place To Stay In Scottsdale!

Room Tip: Spend a few extra dollars and upgrade to a suite if available!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BGinDecatur
, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thank you for joining us at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort while you were in town. Thank you for the kind words regarding your stay. We're so happy to hear you had a pleasant stay in your "Scottsdale Condo!" We hope you and your wife will visit us again soon the next time you are in Scottsdale.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

We were in town for our son's All Star Baseball Tournament and wanted to make it a special weekend for him. The staff was very welcoming and went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. Our room was a Villa Suite which was completely remodeled and very spacious. The food at J.D.'s Lounge was very good. We had breakfast at the Garden Court which was average, but still good. The location is also very close to shopping and restaurants. The 5 pools were very nice as well.

We would definitely return to the Scottsdale Plaza and would recommend it to anyone looking for a step above a chain hotel.

Room Tip: The internet charge is per day per device.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing The Scottsdale Plaza Resort for your stay during your son's baseball tournament! We hope he had great games! We're so pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your kind words and we hope to see you again next time you're in the area!
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

I was back in town on personal business from June 18th until the 20th 2012. Because I enjoyed the Scottsdale Plaza so much the last time I was in the area, I decided to stay here again.

GETTNG THERE:

The resort has a shuttle service to and from the airport, however it comes with a hefty price tag, and is not complimentary transportation. As I was spending an extra day in town, I decided to rent a car. If you rent a car, here's a little tip you might find helpful; as you exit the rental car parking terrace at the Sky Harbor airport, make a RIGHT TURN out of the parking garage. I made a mistake of turning left out of there, and found myself heading the wrong way on a one-way ramp! Oops! Rather embarrassing having to drive in reverse back down the ramp until I could find a place to turn around. I saw no signs indicating it was the wrong way, so beware.

Once I turned the car around, I drove over to the junction and got on the 51 freeway northbound. Traffic was fairly light, and I had no problem finding the exit for Lincoln Avenue. I headed east on Lincoln and made my way to Scottsdale Road. This was a nice, relaxing drive. Sure, I could have taken a faster route, but I found this route VERY easy to follow. Travel time from the airport to the hotel was about 30 minutes, which wasn't bad at all. I turned left onto Scottsdale Road and the hotel was about two blocks north, on my left side. Very easy to find.

CHECK-IN:

I arrived at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort about 1:00pm. Official check-in time isn't until 3:00pm, but I had no problem. The resort was pretty dead, maybe just a small handful of guests staying there at the time. I was upgraded to a Suite, and I must say I wasn't expecting that! That was a really SWEET surprise!

THE ROOM:

The room was the size of a decent, one-bedroom apartment! Pretty impressive. Had a nice sitting room, and a small dining room with a table for 4 people. The dining room also featured a wet bar, complete with small sink, large counter space. On the counter was an assortment of snacks and some bottled water. (Of course any sort of food or water item offered in the room comes with a hefty price tag, so I didn't touch any of that stuff)

There's a hallway. To the left, is a nice-sized bathroom. The bathroom consisted of a large counter with his and her sinks, a decent tub/shower combination, and the toidy. Not bad. Pretty decent-sized bathroom. Across the hall is the bedroom. Nice, king-sized bad, which was VERY comfortable. The pillows looked a bit small, but boy were they comfortable! I slept very well.

There was a good-sized electronic safe on the closet shelf in the bedroom. My laptop computer, case and all, fit very nicely in there, and there was a little room left over if I needed to put anything else in there. Pretty nice.

There are two Televisions in the suite; a large, flat screen in the sitting area, and.... in the bedroom, there's a smaller tv in the amoir (sp) . The amoir was to the left of the bed, instead of being located directly across from it, which made watching tv in bed kind of awkward. The cabinet doors didn't swing completely out of the way, so I don't know how anyone would have been able to watch tv while laying in bed.

I mentioned I brought my laptop with me. The resort features WIFI. Unfortunately, no, it is not included in the price of the resort fee. (WHAT??!!) Yes, I believe it SHOULD BE, but it isn't. The resort fee doesn't really buy you much of anything, but it's mandatory. I don't know why the resort doesn't simply add it to the cost of the room. Anyway, there are quite a few hotels and resorts who do this sort of thing; add on silly charges that don't make a whole lot of sense. You're likely to find this sort of thing in Las Vegas or even Cancun. This is really about the only negative I have about the place.

Anyway, about the wifi, it worked GREAT! Simply click on your wifi signal icon in the bottom, right corner of your screen, select ATT, then bring up your web browser, enter a couple of things such as your name and room number, and you're all set. Couldn't be simpler. Speed was very quick and efficient, I didn't experience any drop-outs or slow performance. It worked perfectly.

The airconditioning in this suite was actual central airconditioning instead of those old-school, under the window units found in the smaller rooms, so this was definitely a step up. The airconditioning worked very well, but.... it was still a bit noisy. It would make this rumbling noise, which sometimes sounded like a plane flying overhead or at times, like a bunch of toddlers running around above. (Of course that wasn't possible, because these particular buildings did not have an upstairs.)

I was in room 931 which was located in the back, right corner of the property. It was very quiet and secluded. I felt like the only guest in the whole place! Pretty dead.

There are about 3 or 4 small swimming pools throughout the resort, along with the large, main pool just behind the front lobby. There was a small pool right next to my room (The villa pool) however when I looked at it, it was pretty full of debris from trees, and probably wouldn't have been very enjoyable to swim in. So, I took a short hike over to the mail pool.

As I mentioned, the place was pretty dead, and so, with the exception of two unattended kids, (they're the ones who destroyed the volleyball net) I had the main pool all to myself. The temperature down there was a whopping 110 degrees! I'm not kidding! It was HOT!!!!!!! So getting in the pool was absolutely wonderful, and very relaxing. There isn't a lot of shade over the pool, so sunscreen is a must! (There ARE plenty of shady places NEXT TO the pool, but not over the pool itself)

Note to management: The concrete pool deck is SCORCHING HOT, and it would be very easy for an unsuspecting guest to burn his or her feet trying to walk around barefoot on it! Please consider placing some mats or maybe some indoor/outdoor carpeting in places, maybe a pathway from the pool exit points over to to the shade where the lounge chairs are.

One thing I really like about this resort is that their pools are open 24 hours. At a lot of resorts, they'll close their pools as early as 5pm. So it was great to be able to use the pool at midnight, when the temperature outside had cooled down some. Pool towels are kept next to the pool, which meant I didn't have to bring one from my room. Also no towel cards required. Pretty nice arrangment!

THE GROUNDS:

The grounds at this resort are very beautifully kept! There's a large team of gardeners and maintenance personnel who work all day keeping the buildings and grounds looking great. And these folks really love what they do.

"I WILL CALL HIM GEORGE! AND I WILL LOVE HIM AND PET HIM AND..."
There are quite a few bunny rabbits roaming the grounds. Yes, you heard right! BUNNY RABBITS! They're the cutest little things! They love to hide in the hedges and shrubbery, and they'll often lounge around on the grass, in the shade.

DINING:
The resort has a couple of nice restaurants. My last stay, I had a nice steak dinner at the Remington. This time around, I ate most of my meals off the premises.

If you wish to dine whie at the resort, it's a bit pricey, but I'm sure you'll find the food to be VERY good.

THE SOTTSDALE AREA:
The town of Scottsdale is meticulously clean! You won't find a speck of trash anywhere! It's a very nice, upscale area. I really like it.

THINGS TO DO:
Well.... the resort is great for accomodations; nice place to sleep, swim, enjoy a good meal. But otherwise, truth be told, it's pretty boring. Not much to do there. There ARE a few things nearby that are worth visiting:

RAILROAD MUSEUM/PARK
If you make a right turn out of the resort, make a left turn at the second light. The park will be on your right. The park features a couple of old locomotives and box cars, several picnic terraces, AND.... a couple of kiddie rides, such as a carousel, and a miniature railroad. What impressed me the most was their large, indoor exhibit of model railroads. Lots and lots and LOTS of model trains in there. People building/working on the setups and displays. Lots of animated miniature models in there. Quite fascinating. Definitely worth visiting.

GLENDALE 9 DRIVE-IN THEATER
I love drive-in theaters! They're disappearing at an alarming rate. People don't seem to realise what a treasure these places are until they're gone. This drive-in features 9, that's right NINE screens! WOW! They have an indoor arcade, great food, buid-your-own ice cream treats. I really enjoyed this place. To get there, make a right turn out of the resort, turn right on Lincoln and drive out to Glendale until you get to the 17 freeway. Take the 17 southbound about a mile, and get off on Bethany Home and make a right. Keep going west on Bethany, past the railroad tracks a ways.. The drive-in will be on the left. Can't miss it. It's a bit of a drive from the hotel, (maybe 45 minutes) but pretty easy to get to. A night at the drive-in is a lot of fun. Well worth it, I thought. Very hot though, even at night, the temperature was near 100 degrees.

OFF-SITE SHOPPING AND DINING:
Make a right out of the resort and turn left at the second light. Drive past the railroad park, and go to the next light. On your right there's a shopping center over there, and a nice hamburger joint. Great food, good prices. Easy to get to.

The Remington restaurant at the resort is VERY NICE, but if you want something a little less expensive, there's a Chili's restaurant nearby. Make a left turn out of the resort, drive north a few blocks until you get to Shea. Make a right on Shea. Drive east a couple of miles. Chil's will be on the left. Very easy to find.

Overall, I really like the look and feel of The Scottsdale Plaza Resort. Some of the rooms are better and others. My last visit, I stayed in a normal room that had 2 beds. It was similar to what you'd find at a typical motel. Even that room I felt was pretty nice, and I had no complaints about it. This particular visit, with the upgraded room, I really felt spoiled, and yes it did feel closer to being a 4-star resort. It was a very enjoyable stay. I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: The suites near the Villa Pool are really nice,.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank gummyroach
Thank you so much for choosing Scottsdale Plaza Resort! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate all of your feedback. We hope you'll be back soon next time you're in the area!
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We're sure that the Scottsdale Plaza resort was nice, in former times. But to be honest, that must be some time ago. We were located for a few days in the remodelled part of the resort, at least, that is what the someone of the desk said when we checked out. We were not aware. The furnishing and decor looked outdated -though someone who appreciates an enormous wall mirror next to the bed would be in heaven- , the fridge hardly worked (we checked with one of the congierges, it is not supposed to cool a lot?), a number of ice machines out of order, noisy airco, and in the bathroom someone forgot his carpenter's level.

However, the room was clean and the bed was good.

Apart from that, we did not feel we were in a real resort, apart from the resort fee, Internet for $13 a day, a 2x2 pancake + 2 juice breakfast for $35 and recorded phone messages from the manager, telling us what specialities the onsite restaurant Remington's had to offer that day. Hmmmm...

A remarkable detail indicating the lack of progress/lack of investment (?) in the resort, is the 'interactive tv menu' offering Gamecube games for 6.95 an hour. The Gamecube was discontinued in 2005!

One positive, though. Most of the personnel was very nice and helpful. We will not return, but we will remember the friendliness of the ones working in the Scottsdale Plaza.

Room Tip: Rooms 2xx are remodelled
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EmenemNL
, General Manager at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Thank you for staying at The Scottsdale Plaza Resort and we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We are happy to share your suggestions with the rest of the team to help improve stays for our guests. If you have any other feedback regarding your stay, please feel free to email us at kellyr@scottsdaleplaza.com. We hope you will consider us in the future.
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

The hotel has very nice grounds, pools, etc, however the rooms are dated. The room is spacious, but the bathrooms feels very dated as does some of the furniture. Its definitely not 4*. What really really irritates me however is the "resort fee". What is the "resort fee" for??? It is not optional and yet from what I could tell, nothing in addition to what any other hotel offers was given for the "resort fee". Does it include breakfast? No. Does it include wifi? No. Spa credit? Definitely not. So what does it include? To expect someone to pay $13/day for wifi IN ADDITION to the resort fee is just rude. If the resort fee is not optional then you must include it in the room rate, otherwise it is completely misleading. The advertised room rate is essentially false advertising. Could someone from the hotel please respond and notify the world what the resort fee is...that any hotel in London, Bangkok, San Francisco or Vancouver doesn't charge.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family