“Not good”

Scottsdale Plaza Resort
Ranked #14 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

This place is uuge, impersonal, dated and the staff are totally disinterested in serving guests. I cant put my finger on whats erong with this place - the rooms are generous but the only window faces the common areas which I loathe. The aircon was noisy. It's better to avoid ss there are better options.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank AndrewCrawford1969
TheScottsdalePlaza, Vice President of Rooms Operations at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, but appreciate you bringing your concerns to my attention. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction and it comes with great disappointment when this is not achieved. If you would be open to contacting me at your earliest convenience, I would love the opportunity to discuss the exact situation further so I know what we can improve upon. Again, I thank you for leaving your feedback with us and hope to be of better service to you in the future.

Rick Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (2,239)

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel was great for the price. However the staff was rude and inexperienced. The front desk continuously charged my credit card and cut my room key off and kept changing their "policy" on holds and charges. After that was cleared up they cut my room key off multiple times. Had the staff been more accommodating I would have stayed there again for value bad location were good. I would say stay away from this date resort if your looking for customer service.

Stayed: October 2013

Bryn, I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your recent stay at our resort. I am very proud of the customer service we offer and truly regret falling short with you. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss the situation with you further and the chance to make things right. If you would be interested in contacting me at your earliest convenience, I hope to regain your trust in our business and serve you better next time. I hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Last time I was here this hotel set up a food and beverage station for a private dinner event right in front of my room. How about having 20 staff looking directly into your room? I had to move and front desk were way less than professional.

This trip I ask for a quiet location and yesterday afternoon their hotel repair team starts up a huge and very noisy truck sized diesel power generator. My entire room shakes with vibration! All of this happening in a self professed 'crown jewel' promised resort.

Interesting observation: Concierge that should be working at 5pm closes for the evening. I ask where to find a salad bar restaurant and the response is go to a grocery store. The correct answer would be Sweet Tomatoes located no more than a mile away. Concierge asleep at the wheel of local knowledge.

Most resorts I know offer at least one or more coin operated laundries. They do this to anticipate their longer and family stay guests. I travel constantly and find these everywhere and just about most resorts that charge a resort fee. Not here at the crown jewel of Phoenix Resorts. The only options for all guests is to use their very expensive concierge laundry or use a street coin operated laundry 5 mile away.

Their website also boasts they are the 'Landmark of Excellence' as well as being the 'crown jewel' of all Phoenix resorts. Maybe back in the 1980's! Reality check this property is mid to late 1980's style construction and getting older every day. I check in around 7pm to find the television not working. They send over the AC repair guy who is a good guy who tells me that all of their video expert people have gone home for the evening. Also that they all know that they have been having TV problems for the past 2 months with their new television service provider. Front Desk chooses to act as if my TV problem experience is a surprise as if I am the only person experiencing TV problems. Few watchable limited selection of channels FYI. Whatever happened to honesty and integrity and realistic marketing?

No notable renovation investment in this aging property. Their resort fee is a needless cash grab something that only new or newer ocean view properties can realistically charge.

Check closely and you will also find worn carpet, cheap older style beige brown furniture with chipped tables and stains on the sofa like I did and the cheapest of heavy rubber shower curtains that look more at home in a 2 star hotel. Definitely not a crown jewel property. The regular rooms have noisy old style on and off style air conditioners.

I check my bill to find an undisclosed maid cleaning gratuity fee. I travel constantly and this is first - just another creative cash grab. Gratuities by normal principle are deemed voluntary everywhere else but not here. The principle of adding a surprise not disclosed at check in surprise gratuity charge simply by principle of disclosure is disappointing to say the least.

This hotel is way overdue for a complete makeover. Now you know. For the price you can definitely do better where there are also non of these pesky add on fees.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review as we do take the time to read each and every one of our customer's concerns. I appreciate your feedback and are truly sorry to hear that your experience was not up to par with what we are capable of providing. We take these matters very seriously and thank you for bringing these to my attention. We are currently undergoing some resort-wide renovations and hope to make your experience more pleasant if you choose to give us another chance. I hope to make things right and be of better service to you in the future.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed at this resort for a conference. Our room was in one of the buildings farther away from the main building - the resort offered a golf cart service to help us get to our room. We ended up loving the location, we really enjoyed walking around the grounds, enjoying the weather and the landscaping. The room was a little dated but very comfortable and clearly maintained very well. The very large TV and excellent Internet service were very welcome. We spent a lot of time lounging, eating and drinking by the pool. The whole staff was excellent and very friendly - from the counter staff, the golf cart driver, the landscaping crew, the housekeeping staff and the poolside staff - always with a smile and a welcome. Absolutely no complaints about the service and our experience. I would be happy to come back and stay again.

One small recommendation - our room fan/AC unit worked very well but was actually very loud at night. A quieter unit would be greatly appreciated and recommended. :-)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I always appreciate hearing what our guest have to say! I am very proud to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be sure to pass along your compliments to our team. We are looking forward to being of service to you again for your next stay! Take care.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

First off, my boyfriend and I stayed here on a "name your price" deal through priceline. Due to that, we were unable to get the room we wanted (king size bed) and ended up with two double beds since you're not guaranteed a king size bed. Other than that hiccup, we had a lot of fun. The hotel is nice, beds and pillows are comfortable, and room was clean. It is a dated hotel, but since we didn't pay full price for the room that didn't seem like a big deal. The real gem at this hote is JD Lounge, which is up at the front of the hotel. The food is delicious and the free bucket of popcorn you get is pretty tasty. The grounds are beautiful with a large open area perfect for a wedding or outdoor gathering. It was very quiet and we didn't notice any outside noise. A plus for us was that the TV had an open input, so we were able to hook up our Xbox and play. Overall, I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel, but I'd stay there again at a discounted rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Allison,

I truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us and share your review with us. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience and had a great time during your stay at our Resort. I'm also excited to hear that JD's Lounge provided a wonderful experience for you as well. I want to thank you again for staying with us and hope to see you again in the future!

Take care!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Recently stayed for the 3rd time over the last 6 years, and have to say I am a little biased towards this property. I have stayed at a few other hotels/resorts in the area, but the Plaza is special, to me its Scottsdale. Unlike some of the others, I never forget where I am while staying at the Plaza.

The resort does show its age, which is ok, they have updated the TVs, and the upkeep and cleanliness are well above average. The overall friendliness and service at the resort is a true strength, they make you feel at home and welcome at every turn.

One big disappointment, was Remington's resturant. They need to improve the whole experience. The good news is there is a Ruth's Chris directly across the street.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
TheScottsdalePlaza, Vice President of Rooms Operations at Scottsdale Plaza Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Sharon, thank you so much for sharing your glowing review with us. We always love to hear what our guests have to say about their experience at our resort. We truly appreciate your loyalty with us and are proud to hear that we have continued to meet and exceed your expectations. We look forward to your next stay with us! Take care!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

A four day weekend with the girls which included the Girls Weekend Special (2 mani/pedis, and 2 massages). There were 3 of us, so the bi-level suite is a must with a bed for each person and 2 full baths. Yes, one bed is a hide-away, but that is fine with me. This was our 4th trip to this resort, which seems mostly corporate, which we like. Less Marco-Polo in the pool and very relaxing. Whether at the main pool or at another one of the smaller pools, service is good. The grounds are exceptional; clean and impeccably manicured. I actually told the managers how nice the ground were after walking the entire perimeter of the property. The wait staff are always friendly and helpful when delivering drinks or meals to the pool. A true oasis. Went to Remingtons on the property for appetizers and drinks and was lucky enough to have some live entertainment. We missed the crowds as there was a large 500 group coming in the day we left. We felt like we had our pool to ourselves!
They have a shuttle service that can pick up and drop you off at the airport for a fee.

All in all; would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong anywhere. If there is a large group; stay clear of the pool areas. There is a St...