“Had another fabulous vacation at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort!”

Scottsdale Plaza Resort
Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 2 April 2006

We just returned home yesterday from another fantastic vacation at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort! From the moment of arrival, the staff was quick, pleasant and extremely accomodating and we were off to our suite in a matter of minutes. The grounds of this resort are beautiful and well maintained. Even at night, although dark in some areas, we felt extremely safe walking around with our 2 small children. The pools are great - never over-crowded and range from 3-8 feet, depending on the pool. The food from room service is good and is available both in your room and poolside. Be aware that there is a 20% gratuity and $3 delivery fee added to all room service bills, no matter where it's delivered. There is a $10 resort fee charged per day which beats what we have paid in the past for overnight parking. Even with the extra fees here and there, it's still a fabulous place to spend a week basking in the Arizona sun! My 6 year old is already talking about our trip next year.

A couple of location notes - there is a Starbucks within walking distance and the McCormick-Stillman Railroad park at Indian Bend and Scottsdale roads is fun for small children. Further down Scottsdale road to Shoeman (1st left south of Camelback) you will find Joe's NY Pizza. It's a little hard to find but well worth it! Also the Sugarbowl in Old Town (can't miss the pink building) is a great time for all. Reasonable prices and large servings.

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank LisaLovesToTravel
There are newer reviews for Scottsdale Plaza Resort

A TripAdvisor Member
philly
Reviewed 6 March 2006

I would not recommend this resort, especially if it is for business. The hotel offers ground transportation to and from the airport. The driver could not find his car in the garage for over 1/2 hour we walked around looking for it. Room service got my order wrong. Maid service left my room service tray in my room for 2 days. At night, the pathways are very dark and it is hard to see. The resort is very large and the directional signs do not give enough information.

Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 February 2006

This place was terrible. Front desk could care less about the customer. Started out that we checked a number of times before arriving as to availability of king bed and non-smoking room. Were told at first could not guarantee. Day before arriving said would be non-smoking with king available when we arrived. Did not happen, no king. Room had two broken chairs and stained dressing seat at the end of bed. Charges a daily $10.00 resort fee. When asked to explain, front desk said to cover daily newspaer, local calls, access to pool and health club. WHAT!! At $215.00 per night I would hope they could throw in a $.75 newspaper. Never used local phone, CAN"T HAVE ACCESS TO POOL W/OUT FEE!! - What!! Most of my hotel experience has WI-FI in rooms and lobby at no cost. NOT this dump. $9.95 for lobby access and $17.95 for cable connection in the room. Charges a mandatory bellman and maid daily gratuity. What, never used a bellman and the maid service was nothing to write home about. I make the decisions to tip, not the resort. Had teh program I was attending not selcted this dump, I would not have stayed there.

• Stayed: February 2000, travelled on business
5  Thank connor2
Reviewed 5 January 2006

Booked a 6 night stay for some pre Christmas golf.
I booked a junior suite and was blown away by the accommodation, it was also my first visit to Scottsdale and I was very impressed too. I won't hesitate to go again to the same resort this year, the staff were awesome and the place is exceptionally clean and tidy.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank computerdeals
Reviewed 29 December 2005

The Scottsdale Plaza Resort was lovely. We were concerned having read the review here, but to our surprise, the Villa Suite we stayed in was very nice. The space was suitable. The bathroom was spacious. Although I would have preferred a door to close off the vanity and dressing area to keep private, and so light doesn't bother someone sleeping. The toilet area is private.
The management staff was extremely friendly. We dined in the grill, they opened up the back area for us so we didn't have to deal with the smoke, since the area was smoking. Lovely behive fireplace. Manager checked on us frequently, and turned on the fireplace for us. I felt they went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. We would certainly recommend this resort, Next time, we would like to upgrade to Patio Suite with a behive fireplace.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank lotsabling
Reviewed 2 December 2005

Stayed for 5 days in a Bi level suite. Our son 16 stayed downstairs with the sofa bed and full bath.We had seperate room and full bath upstairs.The room service was excellent-had breakfast on three mornings.Pools were heated,towels etc There were not too many guests -just like our own private resort.The center of Scottsdale is only 10 minutes away-great location.I am sure we will visit again.

Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank MWL
Reviewed 9 August 2005

we were scheduled to stay at the scottsdale plaza from 22nd july to 30th
i had booked two rooms for eight nights - on arrival i asked if i could upgrade to a one bed villa and was told it would cost $240 a night (so i declined) i also asked for remodelled rooms and was told that as i had booked through priceline i could only have standard (unrefurbished rooms)

this was the only hotel out of six this trip that made me feel a second class citizen for using priceline - the check in staff were not very helpful and quite off hand really

i asked for a fridge for my son's medication but was told to use the minibar - then they gave me the wrong key twice!

there is a resort fee of nearly $12 when you add taxes and this is per room, so i was due to pay an additional $24 for ....? parking, newspaper, safe (mine didn't work) - obviously my children didn't use any of these 'facilities' and so the fee for their room was refunded

the rooms themselves are a good size - although dated in style with plastic floral decorations. however, a big problem with the rooms is the aircon - it is ineffective in arizona in july. the far end of the room never cooled down (a maintainance crew member said that this is always a problem), and to keep the room bearable at night i had to sacrifice sleep - the system is so noisy - rattling and clattering all night

the rooms are also entered from outdoor corridors too, which worried me a little (security)

the pool area is quite small with a few tables, brollies and sunbeds. we were there in july and the hotel was far from full but on one occasion found we could not all get a sunbed (party of four)

the resort is generally tired and not very inspiring - i really didn't enjoy my stay there at all. it was so difficult to sleep that we checked out very early to go to stay at a much better resort (marriott desert ridge) - the place where i had started my arizona holiday some three weeks earlier

i paid $70 a night (per room) with priceline which is too much - i believe it would be too much at any time of the year, but in the downtime in arizona it is far too expensive

but to be honest, i was glad to check out and to spend my last few days in US in comfort, where the staff are amazing and the surroundings quite beautiful

i would not recommend this hotel - at any price in july (it is just not comfortable enough)

• Stayed: July 2005