“Where's the resort”

Ranked #20 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Barrington, IL
“Where's the resort”
Reviewed 13 February 2007

We went to Scottsdale for a golf school. John Jacobs golf packaged this hotel for our trip. The hotel room was seedy on the edges. Cracked floor tile and moldy tile in the bath. It wasn't awful. Just not vacation memorable. The bar staff was slow, Remington's restaurant was even slower. There were several pool areas. No real gardens or views. The golf school was fantastic. Loved the golf school staff there. Camelback golf course was close by and a real nice course. I wonder if we didn't just get a subgrade room as part of the "package."

• Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
San Mateo, CA
Reviewed 12 February 2007

On a super busy sellout weekend, I had no choice but to stay at the Plaza. I was pleasantly surprised by my stay I've always driven by it on the way to the swankier hotels like Westin, Phoenician etc. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the big brand name hotels have, I did love the fact the I could drive right up to my room instead of valeting my car, then taking the elevator up and walking through the long corridors to my room. The rooms are dated but large and clean. I found the staff to be courteous, helpful and friendly. I didnt' get a chance to try any of the dining so I can't say anything about that but do give the Scottsdale Plaza a try and you may be surprised too.

• Liked — Convenience
  • Disliked — Outdated furnishings
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 November 2006

This hotel should be renamed the "Nickle & Dime Hotel". I felt that everytime you turned around, they were going to charge you for something. I travel extensively for work and have never seen a hotel charge for some many things. I did a quick list in my room of the items with prices on them: newspaper, internet service, internet cable, robe, sunscreen kit, mini bar items, snack center items, water, telephone, movies, Nintendo use and the use of the safe. Oh, and if you remove the items from the refridgerator, that's a $25 fee as well.

Too many charges for a resort hotel. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2006
3 Thank Morgan88
North Carolina
Reviewed 30 October 2006

I was at the property for a meeting. I had the impression that the rooms were resort like, etc., but geez, what a letdown. In addition to peeling paint on the bathroom door, I paid a great deal for a "run of the mill" room. Its on 40 acres, beautiful property, but not well lit nor did I feel safe walking from the main lobby to my room (.25 miles). I have no complaint as I like to walk, but for most, that was a stretch. The rooms were substandard. You had to pay additionally for everything. One day i was in the room when the maid came, she left everything in the floor undone for over 1 hour then strolled back in. The onsite restaraunt, Remingtons, very overpriced and the food was not that great. The only upside was that the staff was cordial. I never understood what I was paying for with the $10 resort fee. I would never on my own stay at th is property. I also do not agree that it is classified as a resort.

• Liked — Pretty landscape and nice pools
  • Disliked — Rooms were sub standard
  • Tips/Secrets — Unless they overhaul the property, I would not recommend it.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Charlotesmom
Ireland
Reviewed 29 June 2006

I stayed at the Scottsdale Plaza for a ten day business trip. I found the staff to be very bad. They would barely look at you and were not helpful at all. I suggest you be careful with the phone. No prices are given and a couple of minutes long distance will put you back nearly $100. The pools were nice but trying to get a drink at them was almost impossible. The staff only wanted tips and always acted as if they were better than you. Fajittas in JDs lounge were very nice the first time, not great the second. The hotel room (two storey) was lovely and the grounds were nice. The Good Egg restaurant down the road was lovely for breakfast. Whilst the resort was nice the staff ruined it for me. They were sullen and did not care a bit and only spoke to you to get tips. Charging for newspapers is silly as it annoys everyone I spoke to . It would be far easier to increase the cost of the room and not do this as it will stop people coming back, though maybe this is what they want as they really don't seem bothered if you are their or not. I suppose this comes with having a large property. If I had to pay for it myself I would not go their, I would find a motel instead which would be just as good. And in August the pools etc are no good as it is too hot.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank Brendan_Crowley
Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed 25 June 2006

I stayed here for a business convention which was held at the hotel. The first day I was there I went to the pool and got a great sandwich and wonduful fresh fruit from the cafe there at the pool. The staff brought the food out to my chair where I was staying and they were friendly. When i got back to the room and my hairdryer wouldn't work, they guy was out there to fix it in less than 10 minutes and then the lady at the front desk called back to make sure I was satisified. WOW! Since I was at a business convention there was food provided buffet style the whole time, but I never had a bad meal. I stayed in the bi-level conventional style room and it was very cool. Nice if you are trying to sleep a lot of people in one room. The room was clean, the staff was friendly and the food was good. I will definately stay here again when I come out to Scottsdale.

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank Kimberly V
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2006

The pools were amazing, the staff friendly, and the grounds impeccable. We got a great deal on our room and were very impressed with our accommodations for the price. The room was large, the beds moderately comfortable but nothing to write home about. The food was just so-so at the bar, and it was over-priced, however the cabana had a grill and which was cheap and filling. There weren't any "extras" provided... they charged for internet, a "resort fee" of $10 (which really covered NOTHING) and the airport shuttle was pricey however given the chance I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2006