“Looks Like a Renovated Best Western!”

Scottsdale Plaza Resort
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 7 March 2007

Oh dear, where to begin? This place is something else! The rooms reminded me of a renovated Best Western or Motel 6. You know, the rooms with those air conditioners underneath the windows and the sink outside as you walk in the room? Yeah, it's that bad.

Our room was really musty smelling (I see that previous reviewers had that problem) and just felt like a roadside motel. I don't mind roadside motels, but not when I am paying for a "resort" at over $150 per night!

To add insult to injury, the hotel adds on a $15 per day "resort fee." RIDICULOUS!

It is INEXCUSABLE that this hotel calls itself a "resort." I would not recommend booking this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank moviegal226

Reviewed 7 March 2007

This is a resort hotel in Scottsdale which is about 30 minutes from downtown Phoenix. The hotel is close to Camelback Mountain. There were a lot of restaurants to choose from close to the hotel. We came here for a last minute weekend getaway.

The hotel grounds are very nice. There were fountains throughout and different types of trees and cactus. We could hear birds chirping from our balcony. And while we were laying out by the pool we saw a rabbit or two hop by us.

There are three different pools. I went to the main pool the first day. It was very big and the hot tub could easily seat about 20-30. The downside (for us) is that the hot tub was so popular with little kids that it was basically a "kiddie pool". Kids would jump in or scream and splash each other. Not relaxing. And although it was warmer than the pool it wasn't as hot as a hot tub should be. So the next day we went to a smaller pool area in a different part of the complex. Much better. Quiet, peaceful and the hot tub was actually hot. We never tried the third pool area.

The rooms are nice and up to date. The downside of the hotel is that the walls are thin. We heard the people in the next room having sex.....twice. Not fun. Fortunately they left the next day. So bring earplugs if noise is an issue.

We had one minor problem and that was on our last day. We came back to our room at 4:30 and the maid had not come by. When we called housekeeping they said they would get to it but refused to give a time estimate. I had to ask for clean towels so I could take a quick shower. At 5:30 they still had not come so I talked to the front desk before I left for dinner. They apologized and waived the resort fee for that day and assured us that it would be ready when we came back from dinner and it was. The manager was great about letting us know that our satisfaction was important.

One other thing that bugged me about this hotel is that you feel like they nickel and dime you. They have this enormous tray of snacks and drinks on the desk in your room that of course cost double what they would in a store. And I just don't like being tempted by junk food in front of me. So I put the tray in the armoir on the top shelf. Also, they offer free coffee but next to the coffee pot there is a card stating that Starbucks coffee is available for an extra charge. Things like that.

Despite that I would definately recommend this hotel. I wanted a relaxing weekend getaway and that's what I got.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2007

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT CHECK INTO THIS DUMP UNTIL YOU INSPECT THE ROOM IN ADVANCE!

This dump is run by a bunch of crooks!

We booked the room on the internet and checked in shortly thereafter. We went immediately to our "assigned" room to find it dank and musty.

An immediate election was made to retrun home several days early, rather than stay in such a nastry room! We went to the front desk and explained to the "Manager on Duty" that the room was not satisfactory and that we would not be staying there.

The "Manager on Duty" responded "Don't worry, I will take care of this and you will not be charged for the room"! Not true, once I received my bill from my credit card, I found that I had been billed for a room that we were only in for minutes.

I have tried working this out with "Hotel Management" and met with lies about the condition of the room, lies about their no-refund disclaimer, and lies about the maid service to the unoccupied room.

Despite the fact that I offered to provide proof that I turned in my rental car less than an hour after I checked in, and proof that we subsequently returned to Dallas that night on American Airlines - these crooks refuse to credit the amount billed to my credit card.

As a frequent visiter to the Phoenix / Scottsdale area - there are too many nice hotels that are run by honest and reputable management - don't wast your time or money on this nasty mess!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jeather253
Reviewed 16 February 2007

My husband and I spent five nights at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort and enjoyed it so much we are already planning our next trip to Scottsdale.

We loved having our own one-bedroom suite with its own parking place. No need to bother with valet parking, and no elevators. Our suite was extremely clean, modern, and comfortable. We enjoyed the robes that were provided, the complimentary coffee, the comfortable beds, the immaculate grounds, and our own little patio area.

There was a small stain on the sectional sofa, however, it didn't detract from our overall satisfaction with the suite. Our biggest concern was a lack of sound proofing between our suite and an adjoining suite. When people moved in next door, we could hear muffled voices at times. For this reason, we did not give the resort a rating of excellent.

The Scottsdale Plaza Resort is very convenient to some wonderful shopping, however, a car is highly recommended if you are there for more than a few days. It is difficult to hail a cab in Scottsdale, in fact, we rarely saw one. Also, the resort itself is spread out over 40 acres. We were situated in the back of the resort, and it took about ten minutes just to walk to the lobby.

We loved Remingtons, a restaurant and bar next to the resort. We didn't eat there so we can't comment on the food, but it has a fabulous jazz bar featuring great, local talent! The decor is absolutely beautiful and the atmosphere is very relaxed. A great way to end an evening!

The Seville is a lovely little shopping plaza across the street with about 30 shops including boutiques, restaurants, a wine bar, and a coffee shop. We highly recommend Roys for dinner, an upscale restaurant with a great selection of seafood, beef, and chicken dishes. They will also prepare vegetarian dishes to your specifications, upon request. If you walk there, keep in mind that Scottsdale Road is a very busy street with multiple lanes. You have to be prepared to move fast when the light changes.

If you like to shop, be sure to visit the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall (with over 225 shops), the 5th Avenue Shops, and Old Town Scottsdale. All are only a ten-minute drive from the resort. If you don't have a car, there is a free-trolley that can pick you up at the resort, but it only comes every two hours.

If you like the big city scene, Phoenix is right next to Scottsdale. But be prepared for a lot of traffic, especially during rush hour, as the two cities are very spread out. They are very different from cities such as Boston or New York, but they are beautiful in their own way. And the desert landscape is lovely, even in February.

We will definately go back to Scottsdale, and plan to stay at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort.

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed 13 February 2007

We went to Scottsdale for a golf school. John Jacobs golf packaged this hotel for our trip. The hotel room was seedy on the edges. Cracked floor tile and moldy tile in the bath. It wasn't awful. Just not vacation memorable. The bar staff was slow, Remington's restaurant was even slower. There were several pool areas. No real gardens or views. The golf school was fantastic. Loved the golf school staff there. Camelback golf course was close by and a real nice course. I wonder if we didn't just get a subgrade room as part of the "package."

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2007

On a super busy sellout weekend, I had no choice but to stay at the Plaza. I was pleasantly surprised by my stay I've always driven by it on the way to the swankier hotels like Westin, Phoenician etc. While it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the big brand name hotels have, I did love the fact the I could drive right up to my room instead of valeting my car, then taking the elevator up and walking through the long corridors to my room. The rooms are dated but large and clean. I found the staff to be courteous, helpful and friendly. I didnt' get a chance to try any of the dining so I can't say anything about that but do give the Scottsdale Plaza a try and you may be surprised too.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2006

This hotel should be renamed the "Nickle & Dime Hotel". I felt that everytime you turned around, they were going to charge you for something. I travel extensively for work and have never seen a hotel charge for some many things. I did a quick list in my room of the items with prices on them: newspaper, internet service, internet cable, robe, sunscreen kit, mini bar items, snack center items, water, telephone, movies, Nintendo use and the use of the safe. Oh, and if you remove the items from the refridgerator, that's a $25 fee as well.

Too many charges for a resort hotel. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2006