“Mold in the AC unit”

Scottsdale Plaza Resort
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 15 March 2007

I have stayed at this hotel several times -- an annual convention. So I am disappointed to learn after a years' reprise we're going back.

I'm writing this review to alert you and management that the air conditioning units, the kind that are stuck into the window are old and generate what smells like mold spores.

After my first night in November I had an allergic reaction and severe asthma which caused me to take high dose of antihistamine. My conference goals were diminished as I needed medication to breathe which also put me to sleep.

Most of the rooms, and I have seen several, are of motel quality. With the exception of the pricey villas which are pretty nice but far from four or five star high end deluxe, had this musty smell which seemed to be coming from these air conditioner units. Even if you turn off the unit, the smell is pervasive as it seems to cling to the bedspread and drapes.

I got lucky the last time and was moved to a king bed room with bar. But the towels were just as thin. The bathroom had a fiberglass tub with ciggarette stain. It seemed to have a new bedspread, but I couldn't escape the mold spores.

I was also incensed that there was a mini-bar in every room which was fully packed with their stuff to sell. I couldn't store any of my own personal items. However they did accommodate me and emptied the thing but only after I explained I had to keep my medication there.

Yes the room card keys do expire even as I had requested an hour later check out time. I had to revisit the front desk after I found myself locked out of my room. I had to interrupt my meeting to attend to this.

The place is big and the rooms farthest away from the front desk are the worst as they seem to be the most moldy smelling especially those east facing. The upper rooms are better as they get more light where spores aren't as able to reproduce.

What's more, the room rate for our convention was set much higher than the rack rate advertised online. Since it was a packaged deal, it seemed to be insulting. One would think that a annually recurring event would get a better than rack rate.

This is a convention oriented establishment. If you are attending a function and must stay there I'd advise to be aggressive with the management as they do finally respond. But overall, if I had a choice I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank V M

Reviewed 14 March 2007

We just spent 12 days at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort. We really enjoyed our stay. We were mainly there for Spring Training baseball and the hotel was in fairly good proximity to the ball parks. We had a GPS with our rental car and that helped us get around. The first several nights we stayed in a bi-level suite which was quite roomy, had a nice balcony on the second floor and a patio off the living room on the first floor, also a nice gas fireplace and two bathrooms. Unfortunately we didn't reserve that suite long enough, so were moved to a one bedroom suite (a villa suite). That was nice too, but a little smaller. We had a poolside room, which was really convenient.

The resort is beautifully maintained. The grounds are impeccable, the pools (5 of them) are great and the food is great. My complaints are that there are no kitchens in the suite (not even a microwave -- they claim for "security reasons"), and the whole mini-bar thing other people have mentioned is a pain. We removed items from the mini-bar so we could use the fridge and we DID NOT get charged anything (as a previous reviewer did). Anytime I had to deal with front desk or security or anyone, we had a pleasant experience. All staff was great. The exercise room is really terrific -- lots of machines, plus a racquetball court. The putting green is beautiful and the tennis courts are nice. We didn't use the spa at all. I didn't like the resort fee ($15 per day or the $9.95 for internet use) but you just calculate it into your rate and it compares to other places. I would prefer they include that and quote just one rate.

One thing that is a little unfortunate is the room decor. It is bland and bordering on ugly. The design of the rooms is okay but the furniture and accessories isn't. I like staying in beautiful surroundings. It was beautiful outside but not inside. They should put as much care into the room decor as they do to the grounds.

We will definitely return!!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 March 2007

Oh dear, where to begin? This place is something else! The rooms reminded me of a renovated Best Western or Motel 6. You know, the rooms with those air conditioners underneath the windows and the sink outside as you walk in the room? Yeah, it's that bad.

Our room was really musty smelling (I see that previous reviewers had that problem) and just felt like a roadside motel. I don't mind roadside motels, but not when I am paying for a "resort" at over $150 per night!

To add insult to injury, the hotel adds on a $15 per day "resort fee." RIDICULOUS!

It is INEXCUSABLE that this hotel calls itself a "resort." I would not recommend booking this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank moviegal226
Reviewed 7 March 2007

This is a resort hotel in Scottsdale which is about 30 minutes from downtown Phoenix. The hotel is close to Camelback Mountain. There were a lot of restaurants to choose from close to the hotel. We came here for a last minute weekend getaway.

The hotel grounds are very nice. There were fountains throughout and different types of trees and cactus. We could hear birds chirping from our balcony. And while we were laying out by the pool we saw a rabbit or two hop by us.

There are three different pools. I went to the main pool the first day. It was very big and the hot tub could easily seat about 20-30. The downside (for us) is that the hot tub was so popular with little kids that it was basically a "kiddie pool". Kids would jump in or scream and splash each other. Not relaxing. And although it was warmer than the pool it wasn't as hot as a hot tub should be. So the next day we went to a smaller pool area in a different part of the complex. Much better. Quiet, peaceful and the hot tub was actually hot. We never tried the third pool area.

The rooms are nice and up to date. The downside of the hotel is that the walls are thin. We heard the people in the next room having sex.....twice. Not fun. Fortunately they left the next day. So bring earplugs if noise is an issue.

We had one minor problem and that was on our last day. We came back to our room at 4:30 and the maid had not come by. When we called housekeeping they said they would get to it but refused to give a time estimate. I had to ask for clean towels so I could take a quick shower. At 5:30 they still had not come so I talked to the front desk before I left for dinner. They apologized and waived the resort fee for that day and assured us that it would be ready when we came back from dinner and it was. The manager was great about letting us know that our satisfaction was important.

One other thing that bugged me about this hotel is that you feel like they nickel and dime you. They have this enormous tray of snacks and drinks on the desk in your room that of course cost double what they would in a store. And I just don't like being tempted by junk food in front of me. So I put the tray in the armoir on the top shelf. Also, they offer free coffee but next to the coffee pot there is a card stating that Starbucks coffee is available for an extra charge. Things like that.

Despite that I would definately recommend this hotel. I wanted a relaxing weekend getaway and that's what I got.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2007

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DO NOT CHECK INTO THIS DUMP UNTIL YOU INSPECT THE ROOM IN ADVANCE!

This dump is run by a bunch of crooks!

We booked the room on the internet and checked in shortly thereafter. We went immediately to our "assigned" room to find it dank and musty.

An immediate election was made to retrun home several days early, rather than stay in such a nastry room! We went to the front desk and explained to the "Manager on Duty" that the room was not satisfactory and that we would not be staying there.

The "Manager on Duty" responded "Don't worry, I will take care of this and you will not be charged for the room"! Not true, once I received my bill from my credit card, I found that I had been billed for a room that we were only in for minutes.

I have tried working this out with "Hotel Management" and met with lies about the condition of the room, lies about their no-refund disclaimer, and lies about the maid service to the unoccupied room.

Despite the fact that I offered to provide proof that I turned in my rental car less than an hour after I checked in, and proof that we subsequently returned to Dallas that night on American Airlines - these crooks refuse to credit the amount billed to my credit card.

As a frequent visiter to the Phoenix / Scottsdale area - there are too many nice hotels that are run by honest and reputable management - don't wast your time or money on this nasty mess!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeather253
Reviewed 16 February 2007

My husband and I spent five nights at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort and enjoyed it so much we are already planning our next trip to Scottsdale.

We loved having our own one-bedroom suite with its own parking place. No need to bother with valet parking, and no elevators. Our suite was extremely clean, modern, and comfortable. We enjoyed the robes that were provided, the complimentary coffee, the comfortable beds, the immaculate grounds, and our own little patio area.

There was a small stain on the sectional sofa, however, it didn't detract from our overall satisfaction with the suite. Our biggest concern was a lack of sound proofing between our suite and an adjoining suite. When people moved in next door, we could hear muffled voices at times. For this reason, we did not give the resort a rating of excellent.

The Scottsdale Plaza Resort is very convenient to some wonderful shopping, however, a car is highly recommended if you are there for more than a few days. It is difficult to hail a cab in Scottsdale, in fact, we rarely saw one. Also, the resort itself is spread out over 40 acres. We were situated in the back of the resort, and it took about ten minutes just to walk to the lobby.

We loved Remingtons, a restaurant and bar next to the resort. We didn't eat there so we can't comment on the food, but it has a fabulous jazz bar featuring great, local talent! The decor is absolutely beautiful and the atmosphere is very relaxed. A great way to end an evening!

The Seville is a lovely little shopping plaza across the street with about 30 shops including boutiques, restaurants, a wine bar, and a coffee shop. We highly recommend Roys for dinner, an upscale restaurant with a great selection of seafood, beef, and chicken dishes. They will also prepare vegetarian dishes to your specifications, upon request. If you walk there, keep in mind that Scottsdale Road is a very busy street with multiple lanes. You have to be prepared to move fast when the light changes.

If you like to shop, be sure to visit the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall (with over 225 shops), the 5th Avenue Shops, and Old Town Scottsdale. All are only a ten-minute drive from the resort. If you don't have a car, there is a free-trolley that can pick you up at the resort, but it only comes every two hours.

If you like the big city scene, Phoenix is right next to Scottsdale. But be prepared for a lot of traffic, especially during rush hour, as the two cities are very spread out. They are very different from cities such as Boston or New York, but they are beautiful in their own way. And the desert landscape is lovely, even in February.

We will definately go back to Scottsdale, and plan to stay at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort.

Stayed: February 2007
Reviewed 13 February 2007

We went to Scottsdale for a golf school. John Jacobs golf packaged this hotel for our trip. The hotel room was seedy on the edges. Cracked floor tile and moldy tile in the bath. It wasn't awful. Just not vacation memorable. The bar staff was slow, Remington's restaurant was even slower. There were several pool areas. No real gardens or views. The golf school was fantastic. Loved the golf school staff there. Camelback golf course was close by and a real nice course. I wonder if we didn't just get a subgrade room as part of the "package."

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends