“Lovely grounds”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Lovely grounds”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I'm a fan of Kimpton properties and the Firesky is no exception. The lobby and grounds are lovely. The rooms are well appointed and the fixtures are very nice. Definitely book a pool/garden facing room. The rooms at on the back of the property face the parking lot...not disruptive to our stay, but not a nice view. Love, love, love the free wine happy hour and the fire pits in the evening. Just wonderful for relaxing in the evening. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The one downside of the Firesky are the thin walls. Luckily our neighbors were very quiet in the evenings, but we could definitely hear folks getting ready in the mornings.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thanks for the wonderful review! I am glad you had a fun time and enjoyed the smore's roasted on the open firepits. Please come back and see us soon!
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 24 March 2013

My family first stayed at FireSky in the Spring of 2012 and fell in love with the resort. The beautiful landscape, cool and cozy lobby, great staff... it was all wonderful! Travelled back this Spring and was sorely disappointed at the diminished quality of the hotel. From check-in to room cleanliness to poorly maintained exterior spaces, this experience was a 180 degree change from previous visit. Virtually every aspect of our stay was met with one challenge or another... room charges, mischarges, noisy neighbors, dirty ashtrays amongst firepits, burned breakfast, noisy group event at 7 am Saturday morning, unmanned bell stand, and an overall dingy feeling. Firesky seems to have lost it's attention to detail and standard of providing high quality service and guest experience.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
I am extremely disappointed we did not create another great memory for you. We do try our best to maintain our gorgeous property and service levels and I am deeply sorry we let you down. I will be sure to share your review with my team today, so we can adress the importance of the details.
Please accept my apology,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This review is a bit late, but I took a group of women business owners to the Firesky Resort and Spa in Phoenix in this past December.
From the time that I initiated the bid process through to the completion of our meeting, everything was so smooth. I have to rate the customer service as excellent. I was on crutches during our stay and every morning of the meeting, I had a pillow and a bag of ice waiting for me at my position. This is unheard of. The front desk folks were incredible, professional and attentive. The wait staff made sure that we were happy, every step of the way. The atmosphere was great, although we didn't have much time to spend in the pool area. After our meetings, we were able to enjoy the fire pits, where we were served smores. The bar had great music and atmosphere.
The beds were very comfortable, even though the rooms were slightly dated. It didn't matter. There was a goldfish in my room, I wish I knew that, I would have requested it not be there.
Stay here if you have the chance. Peaceful, professional and pretty.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My wife and had a conference at FireSky Resort for 3 days earlier this month; and we decided to spend an additional 3 days in spite of the very poor value for money, as we were busy with some other business as well and did not want the hassles of packing up and moving to another hotel for the last 3 days of our stay in Scottsdale.

Most of the individuals at the front desk were quite courteous, friendly and professional, as were the room service people and housekeeping.

When we first made the reservation a few months earlier, because both my wife and I are light sleepers, as we always do when we are on the road we specifically requested a QUIET room, and a room WITH TWO SEPARATE BEDS. Furthermore, the day before our flight into Phoenix, I took the trouble of following up with a PHONE CALL AS WELL to the front desk to make sure that we would be getting a quiet room, and with two beds. The person at the front desk said that she sees the request on our reservation and assured me that we’d have both requests.

Upon entering the room after we checked in, we immediately heard traffic noises outside our window, and discovered there was a driveway and parking just outside our room. We also noticed that it had one king bed instead of two smaller beds. I called front desk and the man there said he’d move us, and that someone would meet us in a few minutes with new keys and take us to our new room. And someone did.

The small grounds of the "resort" are pretty, especially the area around the pool, but has not much seating.

For the price, the condition of both rooms was well below par – very poor value. The bathroom doors were very water-stained, something that a periodic coat of paint or varnish would have improved. On some late evenings, only lukewarm water flowed, no hot water. Tho traffic noise was non-existent in the second room, often voices of those outside our door, in the hallway, could be heard inside our room.

The furniture was quite out-dated, as were the carpets.

The very first night, when retiring for the night I discovered the deadbolt would not turn. I called front desk and someone came and fixed it “temporarily,” and said that next day someone would fix it properly. Obviously none did, as I had recurring problems turning the dead bolt, though each night I finally was able to, after playing with it a few times. But on the last night it would not turn at all, and instead of being able to hit the sack after a long day, I had make another call to front desk, and wait for someone to come and fix it again.

More disturbing was what would seem like misleading, unethical marketing. Very subtle that few would even suspect it as a ploy. But I'll let others decide. While waiting in the first room for the bell boy to move us, we noticed two identical 1000 ml bottles of drinking water. One had a $5 sticker on top of the cap, but the other had no price on it. And I commented to my wife that, hey, it’s nice we'll get at least one complementary bottle of water. But as we were about to be moved, we did not open it.

When we entered our second quieter room with two beds, we noticed the exact same two 1000 ml bottles of water, one with the $5 sticker on the cap, and one with no price. That convinced us that it was not likely that one sticker, on one of the two bottles, in each of the two rooms, had fallen off. As we were thirsty with all the hassles of checking in and having to move from one room to another late in the evening, I opened the bottle of water that did not have a price. But guess what – they charged us for it!! I have to wonder how many countless numbers of their guests have been taken by that trick over time, but that they all kept quiet so as not to look foolish. $5 is not a big sum – but for any hotel, let alone one in an upscale place like Scottsdale, would resort to misleading their guests like that is pretty tacky. I wonder whether the DA would consider this “misleading.”

And there is another matter that made me wonder whether it was done on purpose. We could NEVER get a good reception from our room on our iPhone, hearing or being heard. This hotel was just a two-storey walk-up, not a high-rise built of steel and concrete that sometimes renders cell-phone use problematic. There was an important long distance call we had to make one day, and so we decided to use the room’s land line phone so as not to be interrupted with poor reception.

Our call may have lasted about 20 minutes. The final invoice showed that call as costing $68. I told the young lady at the front desk that, coming on the heels of that water bottle trick, I can’t help but wonder whether cell phone voice quality was deliberately sabotaged to force guests to use their land line – and at an astonishingly exorbitant cost at that!

She noted down our concerns and said the General Manager would contact us about these matters. We left our email address as well as our home phone number with the lady at the front desk. It’s been ten days after we checked out, and we are still waiting to hear from the GM.

Room Tip: Look for better value elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank bluemaxcda
Please accept my deepest and sincerest apology. I appear to have a training issue with some team members on resolving issues promptly and effectively communicating to me. It embarrasses me to admit this, but this is the first I had heard of your challenges. After asking around, my AGM shares that he had credited you back $34.09 on 3/24 to split the difference in your long distance call and sent you an email explaining. I would love to have the opportunity that was promised to you by my team to speak with you directly and make this right. You can call the hotel so we can discuss the questionable practices you experienced. I have not heard of cell phone reception being poor, but you never know when a problem can start. PLEASE know that this is NOT the service I expect and I am honestly upset that you left with a bad memory.
Cheryl Martin
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Easy walking distance to the mall and downtown Scottsdale area where all the restaurants and bars are. Of course, I wouldn't want to do that walk in the summer because you'd melt in about 10 feet... but in the Spring it's quite nice.

They offer a shuttle within like 3 miles of the property but ask how long the wait is... and on busy weekends I recommend making a reservation or planning on a little bit of a wait.

Great Service and Ambiance!
Free wine from 5p-6p... and it was pretty good wine too. Not 2 buck chuck.

The lobby bar was really nice and inviting. Cushy sofa chairs with stone and dark wood fixtures. The bartenders were helpful and attentive. The one bartender even went so far as to go get us more free wine.

The area between the lobby bar and the pool was a covered outdoor patio complete with fire pit. At least it looked like a fire pit, but I didn't see a fire in it at night. This was a nice place to relax if you didn't want to sit indoors and you didn't want to sit out in the sun.

It is a little on the pricey side... so it's not a cheap place to stay. I think our room was $400/nt... of course we were there on a weekend during Spring Training so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

The accommodations, grounds, and rooms are all very nice and well kept.

Don't let the odd colored hallways in the hotel building discourage you. The rooms inside are really nice and well-appointed with comfy beds and bathrooms where the shower/toilet is a separate are from the sink area. Oh! And they even provide 2 super soft, plush animal print robes. I was tempted to buy one but I have like 3 robes at home and I couldn't justify buying another one.

Our room was on the first floor and had its own little patio area so you could sit outside in what was like a little xeriscape oasis (except for the loud laughing and what not coming from the pool area a short distance away).

The pool area is really nice with loungers and day beds and cabanas and a little bar area. There are 2 pools (smallish by Vegas standards) and 1 Jacuzzi. The husband and I were able to cool off in a little section of the pool which was tucked on the other side of a little walking bridge so it was a bit quieter and away from the splashing kids.

The Bad:
The walls are super thin so you hear everything around you.
The ceiling is super thin so you hear everything above you.
To walk to your room from the lobby you must go through the pool area which I found odd... or you could walk all the way around the perimeter (of the property not the pool) to get to an outer entrance to your building if you didn't want to go through the pool area. Either way... found it odd that there wasn't an easy way around the pool.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Burlington, VT
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We only stayed 1 night. It was a first stop after flying into Phoenix. We had a large room with a very nice balcony overlooking the pools. Our room was off to one side so we didn't have any pool noise. The lobby had attractive seating areas and also a wine reception. If we weren't so tired we would have used the pool area or tried the restaurant. The hotel seemed nice and I was sorry that we didn't book 2 nights there before moving on.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We picked the FireSky because our first choice Resort was full -- and frankly the FireSky will stay as a good second choice for us. Yes, the service, the lobby, the free pre dinner glass of wine -- all good. But the rooms were pretty spartan, the restaurant had service gaps, the pool in the middle would have been good for a hotel, but does this place meet the threshold to legitimately call itself a resort?

• Stayed March 2013
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thanks for the review! Glad you enjoyed Manager hosted wine hour, it is always fun to relax with free wine! Hope you come back soon!