“Great small resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Great small resort”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

This place surpassed my expectations. Grounds are lovely. Large fire pits at night. Complimentary coffee, wine and smores. I will go back. Rooms are big. Lobby is very modern. Restaurant was expensive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaliforniaHappy11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
Silverdale, Washington
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for an extended weekend. The resort was easy to find and in a happening area of Scottsdale, just a very short drive to Old Town and the Scottsdale Riverfront area.

My first impression was that the lobby was beautiful. It was decorated well and included a large stone fireplace and lots of seating. We were informed during check-in that they provide a daily wine hour from 5:00 to 6:00. We took them up on the complimentary wine and sangria a couple of times during our stay. It was relaxing and the staff were very friendly.

After check-in, we headed to our room, which was on the second floor. There are no elevators on the property, so if you have trouble with stairs, you'll have to request a ground-level room. The room was very clean and quite spacious. I especially liked that outside of the bathroom there was a separate vanity opposite the sink area. I used this area to get ready each day and to store all of our toiletries. It was a nice touch. Another positive was that the mini-bar fridge was not the kind that charges you if you move anything or put anything extra in. We needed to use some of the room to refrigerate our own water bottles for a hike we did, and so this was perfect. Other notes on the room - the bed was comfy and the balcony was roomy and had nice adirondack chairs. We didn't get to enjoy the balcony, however, as it was far too hot for that sort of thing.

The pool area was nice, though we only got to use it once. The second time we thought about going for a swim, we noticed that it was pretty much completely full of children, so we opted to relax in the room instead.

This would have been a 5 star review had it not been for a couple issues. One of the pools (the one with a sandy beach area) was closed during our visit. I think would have liked to relax there instead of at the other pool. The second issue was with the bartender in the lobby. My husband and I each ordered a drink one afternoon. We were the only people at the bar at the time. I had looked at a menu sitting on the bar, which said they serve classic cocktails. One listed was a daiquiri made with fresh lime juice, rum and simple syrup. I'm a fan of these, so I ordered one. My husband ordered a rum and coke with a lime. His drink came back with a lemon, and mine came back a frozen daiquiri made with margarita mix (and seemingly no rum). Gross. I was not asked if I wanted it frozen or on the rocks. I assumed since it ordered it off their own menu that was sitting at the bar, that I would get what I was hoping for. I will not make that mistake again if I return. Not only that, but the disgusting weak frozen margarita mix cocktail set me back $10. Ridiculous.

That said, none of the above really ruined my stay, and I would consider staying at the Firesky again if I make it back to Scottsdale.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GoChicaGo5
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thanks for the wonderful feedback. My apology for the sand beach pool but we had broken tiles and I really needed to get them all replaced so no one would get hurt. Good news, it is all done for your next visit! I will certainly look into your concerns with the bar. Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and will return.
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Enjoyed 1 night staycation. Pool was fantastic with a lively crowd and live music. Room was very comfortable and clean. Check in was a breeze. Dinner at Taggia was excellent. Complimentary wine tasting happy hour from 5 - 6 was a very nice touch. Staff was very engaged and friendly. All in all it is a wonderful little gem in Scottsdale. We can't wait to return. Thanks very much. We are big fans of the Kimpton brand.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Big thank you for the great review! Cheryl
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My husband and I visited Scottsdale over the July 4th weekend. We chose Kimpton based on our other Kimpton experiences and wanted a resort a bit more personal than the large hotels. The FireSky had everything I believe Kimpton's have to offer from the wonderful happy hour each night to the free wi-fi to a very pleasant staff.

The pool area was beautiful and the lights at night made for a special evening by the fire pits.

Overall this is a nice resort however just note that it is pet friendly hotel. During our stay pet owners allowed their pets to sit on the furniture in the lobby as well as brought them to dinner.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room overlooking the pool and request 2nd floor (unless you have a pet you may want 1st...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the nice review! Pet owners should not be allowing their "kids" to be on our furniture and I have already re addressed this with my team as a reminder to provide a pet blanket if needed. We need to watch it closer and we will. Plan another trip back soon! Cheryl
Winchester Center, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I just spent two nights at Fire and Sky and as a single female traveler I was very disappointed in the hotel. I had requested a quiet room and was given a second floor room over looking an extremely busy main road, Chapparel, with lots of car noise. After returning to the front desk they told me that if I wanted a different room I would have to. I was fine with that, got a new room and then when I was leaving to go out to dinner I closed the room door, tried the handle and it would not lock. I finally had to call the front desk and they sent someone down about 15 mins later to "fix" the lock. The lock worked but you had to make sure the door closed just right. Today was my last day, and I thought I would get a little pool time in after breakfast but again my door would not lock. I called the front desk and after two calls and twenty minutes later, a maintenance man came and said my door would not lock and that he would have to replace the whole mechanism and it would take awhile. Since I had to leave by 9:30, and I had already wasted 30 mins waiting for someone to come to my room, I did not have time for breakfast or to have a quick swim in th pool. I could not leave my room because there was no lock on the door. In today's world, security should be at the forefront of any good hotel. Needless to say, I will never stay at this hotel again and will not recommend it to any friends. This is too bad because in general it is a nice hotel but I question it's commitment to guest security.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JAW06098
Ouch that hurt! Please accept my humble apology for my team totally dropping the ball. I too, believe security is of the utmost importance and we need to be focused on the safety of our guests at all times. If you would give us another chance, you are welcome to contact me directly at the resort and I will promise a better experience next time. I will certainly address this immediately.
Cheryl, GM
toronto
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights at end of July. I highly recommend this hotel. The pool areas are beautiful and the ground are so nice. We loved that the cabana was no extra charge. We had no problems getting one. We also took advantage of saying "summer of karma" which is secret words this summer and it got us 25 dollars of food by the pool. The food was yummy. I loved the coffee in the morning because it was first time I ever saw ice coffee in the morning. Drinking ice coffee with either vanilla or Carmel reading the various paper options made my mornings relaxing. I would highly recommend if your looking for some peace and quiet.'

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank francine_16
We added the Iced Coffee with flavored syrups for the summer months for a cool twist on the mornings. Happy to hear you enjoyed our special touch to complimentary coffee daily. Cheryl
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel in Scottsdale is part of the same network of hotels that I stayed with my family in Sedona. It is from Kimpton Hotels, which have good, attentive service and stylish decoration.

This one called FireSky Resort is really big, with a huge number of rooms, occupying a whole block and, yet, it is cozy. The rooms are spacious and have the essentials: comfortable bed and good shower. The decoration is special, with some modern furniture and who did decorated the hotel, played well with colors and nice objects.

They have a big nice swimming pool with areas partly under tall trees and another swimming pool for kids with sand around it.

The breakfast was all a la carte, but the waitress that was serving us the couple of days that we stayed, was very fondly and effectively fast.

Room Tip: Room with view to the swimming pool are nicer than overlooking the parking.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
clm037, General Manager at The Scott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thanks for the review and I am happy you enjoyed the resort.
Cheryl