“great stay-they really take care of you”

Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We are locals who took advantage of summer rates. Stayed in the Sonoran Casita with great desert views. The pool area was great-nice bar with good food. Beautiful pool with great service. They really help you find shade! Great drinks-a bit pricey, but hey, it's the Four Seasons! The rooms were of good size with nice amenities. Very comfortable bed, large sized bathroom, fireplaces (too hot for us in August!). One of our party used the spa service and loved it. We didn't eat in the restaurants - Rozati's Pizza down the street will eliver right to your room! There is a trail to famous Pinnacle Peak hiking right from the resort. Great views all around. The best thing about this resort is the atmosphere. Very upscale southwest. This place is very well run and it shows. Very good staff-pleasant and hard working. We will be back and will try the restaurant. I highly recomend this resort!!!!

Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Saguaroflower

Reviewed 2 August 2009

If you check the forum for Scottsdale you will find that I am one of the Destination Experts. If you read even just a few of the posts you will find very quickly that though I am honest and fair in my comments, Four Seasons will almost always be my first recommendation on where to stay. I know that every traveler has expectations, some like big, some small, some in the middle of activity, some want remote, etc. what it comes down to is knowing what a property has to offer, and deciding if that's what you want before you arrive.
Four Seasons Scottsdale is listed in Travel & Leisure's Top 500 Hotels of the world. (Of those 500, 188 are in the US and FS Scottsdale is #38, and the highest ranking hotel in Arizona)
It is also listed on the Conde Nast Gold List (for the last five years) and again is the highest ranking in AZ.
Zagat Survery lists it as one of the top 50 resorts in the world, and #1 in AZ.
So, in addition to it rarely losing it's #1 position here at TA (battling with Gainey Suites recently), it has scores of other very lofty kudos.
That being said, you have to know what this particular FS is about. It is NOT in the middle of town, it is not large, it is not austentatious. It IS 1000' above the valley floor with an amazing view in a quiet/serene/relaxed setting among multi-million dollar homes. (It is about 25-30 minutes to downtown Scottsdale, but there are restaurants/ shops 5-10 minutes away, and major shopping/retail about 20 min). It IS 210 casitas/suites with a 2 to 1 staff to room ratio. It IS luxurious, newly renovated, well kept, immaculately manicured, and the service is absolutely world class.
If your looking for "Hotel" this isn't it, the resort is set up in mutlitple territorial style casitas, consequently you hear NOTHING from outside your room (no talking, no plumbing, no televisions, nothing) If you like being within walking distance from restaurants or shopping this isn't it. Instead of the traffic and noise that close proximity gets you, you have a gentle breeze, amazing views (especially at night), and total tranquility.
This was our fifth year in a row staying here during late June/early July taking advantage of the amazing summer rates that allow you to experience more at this 5 star resort than you might normally choose to. A partial view casita runs $195 during the summer (with specials like mid-week rates of $149 and stay two nights get the third free). During high season these same rooms can go for $525. Suites like the Oasis (which we stayed in last year) have a summer rack rate of $625 and go up to $1800. If you are willing to wait until check-in, depending on occupancy rates, they are extremely generous with upgrades. We ended up getting the Oasis for $325 (half the rate). This year we had decided to book a Desert Garden Casita (which is their lowest priced room) and spend our money on spa and dining. Before even arriving I had email conversations with the General Manager who had left several hand written notes in years past and had asked for his recommendation on room location etc. and he was extremely open and helpful. Upon arrival we found that they had already upgraded us to a Premier Casita with the highest view in the resort. We tossed around the option of upgrading to a suite because we had friends coming to stay at the resort also, but we chose not to. But the offers were incredible, they offered us the Pinnacle suite (their Presidential suite, 3 bedrooms and 3000 sq ft) which lists at $3000/night right now and goes up to $5500, for an additional $250/night (a total of $445) it was very tempting and both families could have shared the suite, but we opted to keep our separate rooms for privacy. I know of no other resort in town of this caliber that is anywhere near this gracious on reducing room rates.
As far as service and our satisfaction with it, over the last five years we have stayed a total of 45 nights and have never had a single issue that wasn't resolved immediately. And even those issues were minor, but if they are aware of it they don't want you to even have a minor issue. An example this year, in returning to our room one day from the pool, my key wouldn't open the door. So I walked down to the lobby, they called security to drive me back to my room and resolve this. By the time we arrived the maid had already called maintenance who was there working on it. That night when we came back from dinner there was a plate of handmade truffles with a note from the Manager hoping that we had not been too troubled. (That's the kind of service that brings me back)
So as far as what to actually expect here:
Check-in- The valet will get your name and walk you to the front desk and introduce you, this will probably the last time you have to give anyone your name. (Amazingly as we were approaching the front desk, Julie, the Assistant Resort Manager, recognized me and called me by name (after a year away). Check-in is quick, and your bags will already be on one of their carts ready to whisk you off to your room. (At this point I want to mention that you will not encounter anyone with their hand out here, tipping is completely at your discretion and allows you to relax even more.)
There is fruit and Prickley Pear Iced Tea at the front desk, and there is always bottled water for you everywhere.
Tip: Very generous with upgrades, don't be afraid to ask.
Rooms: Not gigantic, but larger than average, newly renovated and lots of amenities. Extremely comfortable bed, high count linens, plush robes & towels, L'Occitane toiletries, large plasma TVs, MP3 dock, wireless internet, large soaking tub with separate marble shower, coffee maker with full coffee/tea service restocked twice daily, etc. There is a turn down service that will leave a star chart on your bed and your radio set with peaceful music. They are also very good about respecting that Do Not Disturb sign (which we had out a lot).
Tip: First floor rooms have a covered patio that is great for room service at sunset or early in the morning. All casitas are basically the same size, the only real difference is the view (keep in mind that the rooms with the better views are less private)
Pool: There are three pools. The main lagoon style family pool, the adult only and the toddler pool. All have cabanas and lots of umbrellas (the adult cabanas have misters). The pool staff will set you up with a terry chaise cover and towel and bring you a pitcher of iced water with lemon. The chaises are teak with comfy cushions, not those plastic strap things. While you lounge, you will be pampered...the pool staff come by on a regular basis with smoothies, frozen grapes, fruit skewers, iced minted face towels, Evian spritzer, etc. along with being available to bring you your favorite drinks. They also serve food poolside. (The quacamole is made to order and is the best.) The pool staff consistently gives some of the best service you will ever experience. And you have to wander up to the Saguaro Blossom poolside and spend some time with Sean.
Tip: The serving sizes are large enough to share.
Spa/Fitness Center: Fully equipped, very clean, well staffed
Restaurants: Talavera, newly remodeled (formerly the Acacia) Top end, pricey, but well worth it, especially with the view.
Crescent Moon, breakfast, lunch, dinner. Same quality food and same view, just not quite as elaborate.
Saguaro Blossom. poolside, excellent food, relaxed
Onyx Bar, lobby bar that serves great food also.
Tip: Sit out on the Onyx bar patio at sunset and order drinks and "small plates" and share.
Activities: Tennis, courts have been resurfaced with a great artificial turf. There is no charge for tennis here, and that includes racquets, balls, and a tote with chilled water & towels. There is also a ball machine on the courts available for you to use, no charge.
Margarita/Salsa Demonstration- Always one of our highlights. Sean will set up freshly made salsa and chips and then show you how he mixes a few of the signature margaritas. Everyone gets very generous samples and Sean's routine will make you laugh until you cry.
Meet the Pastry Chef- More samples, this time from the head Pastry Chef along with a tour of the kitchen. lots of fun.
Also: Stargazing, Tequila Tasting, Wine Tasting, and TONS of kids activities)
Tip: Lots of other activities on site, take advantage of them and don't worry about driving into town.
Staff: Short and sweet.....some of the best, if not the best you will ever experience....valet, front desk, concierge, room service, pool staff, maintenance, everyone you walk by will smile and say hi and will do everything possible to make your stay perfect. This last visit we had friends come stay for 3 nights (we stay 9 every year) and what they commented the most was how friendly, helpful, and genuine everyone at FS was (oh and the beds)
We have a 18 year old son who has been here all five years also and is already looking forward to next year.
We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
9  Thank stuckintraffic
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Stayed for three nights at the Four Seasons in North Scottsdale in the Sonoran desert. It was VERY hot but also strikingly beautiful. The intensity couldn't have been more perfect: Having had too much residual stress built up in my body, the overwhelming heat kind of melted it... It's as though the desert said, "You. Stop. Stay right where you are." You really have no choice but to chill out!

I stayed the first night by myself, which was awesome. It was sunset when I arrived to an amazing setting of 100 year old Saguaro and other cactus, skittering lizards, rabbits, and birds, and a super attentive but mellow staff... right when I walked in they handed me a tall glass of delicious and refreshing Prickly Pear Iced Tea Lemonade! Then I slowly walked the grounds and enjoyed the sauna-like breezy air, the pool, the quiet! Oh - the 520 square foot room they upgraded me to was gorgeous but really low-key, with a private little deck dropping you off right at the edge of the wild desert...all for only $130/night! I had taken advantage of the "third night free" which brought my average rate down to this price for a standard room, then I got the upgrade which would maybe be common at this time of year. They practically give these rooms away when it's their low-season, too hot for most people. I am always cold, so even though it was crazy hot, I was enjoying it and, you know, just kind of marveling at it.

My 5-month pregnant sis joined me on the second night. It's so rare for her to get away, so that was great, and of course she is already plotting her return. We had worked out in the spa/fitness center and took advantage of the spa facilities which were excellent- and no extra charge- steam, fruit, relaxing lounge, luxurious showers. Everyone on the staff was so mellow and nice. There are pitchers of icy water everywhere, and they change the flavors daily; mint and orange, lemon slices, cucumber basil... very refreshing. The poolside staff is great and although you can't help but feel sorry for them running around in the scorching heat, they totally seem fine with it! The poolside cafe serves great lunch and cocktails... delicious ceviche and rich cobb salads, vegetarian options and sweet potato fries! They also have delicious non-alcoholic blended drinks like pina coloadas and berry chillers, and great kid menu options. The pools are nicely split into family pool, adult pool, and baby pool. OH! And the cabanas are free! Lots of hotels charge for "renting' a cabana, and this was what actually caused us to choose this hotel. During the really hot season it's very important to have this shaded real estate!

At night we spent hours at the outdoor wine bar having different wines and amazing little tapas... the food was great. The wine selection is great and their tequila list is even better. Plus they have really delicious and inventive cocktails like honeydew mojito and simple, very straight margaritas without a lot of mixers/junk/sugar... just quality tequila, fresh lime juice, and cointreau make up the basic, and additions to this mixture are fresh, creative, and understated. The last afternoon I spent at the resort there had been a mini monsoon and the temperature had dropped a LOT- so the whole rest of the night was an absolutely perfect 85 degrees and we watched in incredible lightening storm! There had actually been lightening storms each night, far away yet really striking- at times bolts seemed to span the entire sky- but no crack and no thunder, just the flash!

It was SO great and I can't wait to go back!

I highly recommend it - for a solo trip it's great, or with a friend or your partner! I'm sure it's great year round, and worth paying higher prices for milder weather, but this low season thing felt kind of too good to be true.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank LuxeBaby
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Scottsdale itself is a fantastic destination and I continue to return to the area for vacation. While I have stayed at some excellent resorts in Scottsdale, I will say that my week at The Four Seasons Troon (July 14-20) was incredible. I had not stayed at the resort previously as I had concerns about being so far away from the main sites of Scottsdale. However, for R&R, this resort is spectacular. Set into the mountains, you are instantly plunked into the desert landscape without having to leave your patio. There are many areas to walk or hike, and lots of vantage points to appreciate the scenery. The resort itself is discretely and impeccably maintained, rooms are serviced twice a day and overall, the staff no matter their position are friendly and willing to do anything to make your stay more comfortable. I was very impressed with the food at all times and I did not leave the resort at any point. While food and drinks can get pricey, the quality is top notch and worth the investment. There are plenty of options to keep the budget in mind. The spa experience was excellent - however, I would agree that the waiting area in the spa is quite dark and has no windows. Also, the spa music is just plain weird at times which I found out was because they use satellite radio as opposed to custom cd's. The pool was fantastic - and salt water - so no ruined bathing suits to contend with. Also - the cabanas were plentiful and wonderful. The resort stays true to its environment as all of its buildings are neatly tucked into its surroundings. This is so appealing as it provides you with an instant connection to the desert itself. In all, while no hotel offers perfection, this hotel met and exceeded so many of my expectations. I am so glad I decided to stay at The Four Seasons and I am looking so forward to bringing my spouse on my next visit to the resort!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank well4seasoned
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We stayed Troon North in June which means we were off season so got an incredible rate for our room. While driving there from the airport I was a little disappointed by how far out the resort was from the rest of Scottsdale but I guess that's what you trade for a nice relaxing "in the middle of no where" feeling. Almost any restaurant you would want to go to is about 20 minutes away (with the exception of the hotel restaurants of course). Anyway we went for our anniversary and upon arriving the check-in was quick and we were upgraded to a better room which was great. Our room was very nice with beautiful views of the desert. They had champagne and truffles delivered to our room immediately for our anniversary which was nice. The resort itself had a lot of daily activities available which was helpful since you are a drive away from most things. We stopped into the "margarita making" demonstration by the pool, which was a lot of fun. The bartenders Tim and Matt put on a great show and made sure everyone was enjoying themselves. The fitness center was great as well. Throughout our stay the service was impeccable with the exception of one woman who worked in the women's locker room. Other than that the staff tried hard to please and the stay was relaxing and enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2009

From the first call to reservations the feeling of welcome was overwhelming. The staff are totally proffesional , helpfull and courteous in a way that anyone in Customer Svc. industry should learn to be. Our standard room was amazing and I recomend the second floor rooms as the deck in the back are a treat to hang out on at night. The pools are salt water and a welcome environement to swim in after years of chlorine abuse in other hotels. The cabanas are great but it is once again the pool staff that will bring us back time and time again. I travelled here with my 17 year old daughter and her 2 friends. Truelly 17 year olds are rarely enthralled by gardening but here the grounds are so perfectly mixed with cacti and other plants indigenous to the desert that even they stopped and appreciated the hard work.

Only negative is our addiction to air conditioning, The room has a tendency to be warmer then we liked it at night.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank takinyyz
Reviewed 6 July 2009

This was my third visit to the Four Seasons, and once again, this hotel proved a serene refuge from the hustle of real life. I stayed during their great one night free offer---with the price averaging at an approximate $135 per night. With approximately 500 square feet, my casita was spacious and brilliantly decorated with southwestern designs. My patio provided wonderful views of the desert--right at my feet.

I loved the large bathroom, and it's wonderful tub. The staff is attentive and friendly, and the spa is luxurious. If you don't opt for a spa treatment, at least check out the large gym and the complimentary spa facilities.

On the food front, the Cresent Moon Cafe features a delicious Huevos Rancheros dish. The staff is happy to make it vegetarian style. Room service is pricey, but worth the splurge.

• Stayed: July 2009