“fabulous!! even better than the first time, years ago”

Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 8 September 2009

what an amazing resort. it is beautifully appointed in a gorgeous natural setting. the views are spectacular. the staff is very friendly and courteous. the food was wonderful. we had no complaints. great roomrate as it is off season, plus with a third night free, it was almost a bargain for the two rooms we rented.
this property reminds me of the four seasons on the big island of hawaii, except no ocean. very similar layout with low lying buildings.
my only complaint is the pool is not that huge for a resort this size, the pool area got quite crowded during the day.
great, great gym. hike pinnacle peak if you have a chance.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,073)

Reviewed 6 September 2009

We stayed here for one night in August 2009. Excellent stay and we had a beautiful 'garden view casita' overlooking the garden, very close to the pool.

Wonderful and spacious room and bathroom and private patio. We had a lovely dinner in the hotel restaurant, probably the best of our three week holidays.

Yes, the summer temperatures are high (40-45 'c) but excellent place to relax at the pool side and during the summer you get excellent rates which makes this 5* hotel superb value for money. Great and friendly pool bar service.

Highly recommended - we're considering making this part of a return trip to the US in 2010.

Reviewed 30 August 2009

The Four Seasons, Scottsdale is a beautifully appointed property set among the desert flora—complete with wildlife. It is an AAA Five-Diamond property. Since the temperatures are consistently 100 degrees plus in the summer months, a great value is to be had during the time I visited. My “casita”—the resort is not your traditional “high-rise” but in fact clusters of rooms akin to an apartment complex—was furnished with Southwestern décor. Normally I like a more simplistic/minimalistic design; however, it seems to be appropriate in this case to design something commensurate with the locale.

My casita is pretty spacious. I was situated on the 2nd floor. There is a furnished patio with two lounge chairs and table. The bathroom features a separate shower stall and bathtub and a separate enclosed WC (where the toilet is). The bathroom amenities are L’Occitane. There is an appropriate amount of lights one of which is a dimmer. The casita itself has sufficient lighting. There is a gas fireplace, a ceiling fan and the A/C lowest setting in 67 degrees F. Casita also features the very comfortable King bed, workstation, and a sofa (which doubles as a pull-out). The closet is roomy as well. There is a lot of space to unpack your belongings. The mini-bar looks to be automated so be careful not to touch (take it out and put it back) unless you have intentions of consuming it or you will have to talk to the Front Desk about removing the charges. Complimentary in-casita tea and coffee is provided (you make it yourself).

I was quoted it would cost $80 one-way to take a taxi to the hotel from the Phoenix airport. Instead I took SuperShuttle for $26 (after utilizing web-discounts) and found that more worthwhile. Because the resort is situated somewhat “far” from where I would consider all the action (shopping, dining, etc.) it is VERY advisable to rent a car or come to the resort with a car if you want to explore. Otherwise taxi fares will eat up a lot of your budget (that is to say if you have one, lol). Public transportation is practically non-existent. Valet parking is $27 (or around that amount per night). If you want to be near the “action” there are other hotels/resorts that are more centrally located; however, I think none are up to par when it comes to service. I really cannot stress how “remote” this resort seems without transportation—ideally your own/rental. Without your own car, it appears that you are somehow stuck at the resort—not a bad place to be stuck, but still…

You are advised to stop by a local shop (Walgreens or a gas station) and pick-up anything you feel you need for your vacation such as: medication, sun lotion, snacks and your choice of selected beverages—water (bottled and on the tap) are readily available throughout the resort—as the resort’s gift shop is expensive (to be expected). A shuttle is available on a first-come basis to take you to the local Walgreens (about 5 minute ride from resort) or anywhere else in a limited-mile radius. For the ultimate in convenience, your in-casita mini-bar is available. Personal-sized liquor is available for $7, beer for $6.75, Evian for $8, M&M’s for $4.

There are self-service laundry facilities scattered throughout the resort. Complimentary Tide, Bounce and selected stain removers are at your disposal. Laundry facilities are housed in the same room as the ice-machine dispenser. This is definitely a huge plus! The resort can also do your laundry as well—a shirt is $8.75 laundered, and $9.50 dry-cleaned. Daily wired or wireless internet access in your casita is $12 per 24-hour period. The hotel provides a business center for your use (for a fee, I imagine). There is a kiosk dedicated solely for the printing of boarding passes, which is off to the left of the Concierge desk (complimentary basis). There is an expansive two-tier pool (one solely for adults) and the complimentary cabanas are on a first-come, first-served basis. The Spa/Salon is merged together with the fitness facility.

Room service, as to be expected, is very expensive when all the additional fees are tabulated. Per each order, there is a 20% service charge, local Arizona Sales Tax, and a $5 administration fee. To put this in perspective, a $22 food order came to roughly $35 with all the fees. I was a bit underwhelmed by the taste of the food. The food was not bad per se, but it was not exceptional. I didn’t want to clean my plate and it is shame because the food is a bit pricey. My breakfast arrived promptly. In casita dining orders were generally made available 30 minutes after ordering—and arrived hot, not tepid like some other places. I found the poolside restaurant to taste the best and I strongly advise you to just place a to-go order there instead of ordering through in-casita dining to save on the fees. I did not care for the food served at their restaurant for dinner. I tried some of the accompaniments (potatoes, etc.) and I was not impressed.

Housekeeping did an excellent job servicing the room. My room almost always received turndown after 9 PM. If you call ahead and schedule a time, the resort is always happy to accommodate this. Housekeeping stocks “après soleil” (after sun) balm or lotion. I found this balm to be indispensible after a day out in the sun.

Overall, I was satisfied with the level of service provided by the resort.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank InstantNoodles
Reviewed 17 August 2009

My wife and I share a romantic long weekend at the Four Seasons in Scottsdale. From check-in to check-out we were taken care of in every way. We were celebrating our anniversary and since we let them know that ahead of time they not only upgraded our "casita", but they also gave us a bottle of champagne and chocolates. The rooms were spacious, well decorated, and had every amenity you could need. Our room overlooked the pool area and a spectacular view of Pinnacle Peak (the mountain by the hotel). It is a salt-water pool and the staff will set-up your lounge chairs for you with towels and chair cover. They will also bring you ice cold water pitchers not to mention fresh fruit, popsicles, etc all complimentary. The cabanas are first come first serve and are also complimentary. They have mist sprayers attached and they keep you cool even in the hot sun.
We played golf at Troon north. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle, made our reservations, and gave us a coupon for a discounted round. It couldn't have been easier and Troon is an amazing course. We played the Pinnacle course and loved it.
If you don't feel like driving to find a dinner spot or don't want to eat at the hotel...even though you should since the food is really good...the hotel has a shuttle to about 10 restaurants nearby. That way you can have an extra glass of wine or two without worrying about having to drive.
Make sure you take the hike up Pinnacle Peak. The trail starts from the Four Seasons Parking lot It's a beginner hike that doesn't take more thatn 2 hours start to finish and is well worth it. Beautiful views of Scottsdale and surrounding valley. If hiking is not your thing, check out the workout facility. Full service with free weights, elipiticals, spinning, etc and you can shower off there at the gym and take a steam too.I also would recommend taking a tubing/float trip in Mesa, AZ on the Salt River. Google Salt river tubing. Took about 45 min to get to from the hotel and it was an awesome 4 hour float. Bring a cooler with drinks and snacks and you can have a great time.
Awesome trip to AZ, and even better because we stayed at the Four Seasons. Can't say enough great things about the hotel and staff. Everyone was beyond helpful.

2  Thank Marvelous_Travelers
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My wife, teenage daughters (3 of them) and I just got back from a 5 night stay. What is probably the most amazing thing is that the people in my office said that I came back looking relaxed which is something very rare in deed for me.

Everything about this hotel was simply incredible - from the first greeting by the valets to the rooms we had (604 and 605) to the little extras like the personalized note from the manager to chips and salsa as a thank you for staying 5 nights.

We have been to several 5 star hotels in the last handful of years and I can tell you unequivocally that this was my favorite - not stuffy or opulent but relaxing, friendly and the scenary cannot be beat (although Hawaii was pretty awesome).

I really hope to be back in the near future.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank martin s
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My husband and I celebrated our 33 wedding anniversary at the Four Seasons, following a 3 week driving/photographing journey. It was truly 4 days in heaven. From the moment we checked in, ('Happy Anniversary' chanted by the staff at the front desk to the chocolate dipped strawberries and bottle of champagne waiting for us in our casita) til the moment we departed (late departure was not a problem), we had an unbelievable stay. We awoke every morning to a beautiful view of the Sonoran desert with a newspaper and coffee on the enclosed balcony. The staff was wonderfully accommodating and appeared thrilled to be working at the hotel. We ate at the restaurant and felt like we were the only people there...the service and ambiance were exceptional. Following dinner - a fabulous steak, (at which time the waiter served our champagne), we were served a delicious complimentary warm chocolate souffle and vase with chocolate flowers. Our evening continued as we stargazed from sofas in the Onyx lounge.
Our off season rate was also notable. We will definitely be staying next year upon our return from Hawaii during the 'complementary night' period.
We highly recommend the Four Seasons.

1  Thank travelingirl08
Reviewed 5 August 2009

We stopped for 5 nights, and the low season value is superb for a Four Seasons.

Unlike others we stopped in, Aviara, Las Vegas , Whistler etc... this is a complex of casitas, rather than a traditional hotel.

THe sonoran desert is part of the hotel, and its brutal ruggedness also.

The staff were all friendly and eager to serve, although low seasons means few staff around the pool areas (and they seem to finish around 4pm), but the pool is open til 7 or 8.

Well kept exteriors, and good breakfast dining in abundance.

The self park is an uphill walk to the main reception, and in the heat of the day can be quite tiring ( over 110).. still thats why the rates are good. Sometimes you can hitch a lift on a golf buggy if its passing :)

If you are travelling with younger kids, make them aware of the potential for scorpions and rattlesnakes... this is the real desert, not disneyland. We saw 1 scorpion and 1 rattlesnake in 5 days.

The rooms are appointed nicely, although for some reason in our rooms, our bare feet got dirty walking around the room. We tried putting a few towels on the floor and that fixed it, so the floor itself was engrained with dirt it seemed.

Still, really , really nice, and excellent value.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family