“Poor Communication”
Review of Sundial

Sundial
Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed for three nights. The first day, I was officing out of our room. I initially had the "do not disturb" sign up. However, when I left at just before 3:00 p.m., I took it down. I was running errands, and ran back to the hotel at 4:20. When I arrived there was a note on my door time at 4:00, saying to due to the "do not disturb" sign they didn't do the room. Having additional errands to run, I called the front desk, via cell. I explained to them, when I took down the sign, and when the note was timed. The person answering the phone got pretty huffy with me, telling me housekeeping was already gone. Then saying "do you want me to go make your bed for you?" I explained to him, it was obviously a communication problem, he did not need to make my bed, and we would come to the lobby to get additional towels. The next day housekeeping came and asked when they could come, and I told them I'd be leaving at 9:30. I went out and ran errands, and when we arrived back at 1:00, the room still hadn't been done. Housekeeping showed up at 3:00 - so we left the room, so they could do the service. Poor communication.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Jude N, General Manager at Sundial, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Hello mjbeam,

I apologize for not meeting your expectations. We make every attempt to offer house keeping when it is most convenient for our guests and allow privacy when the Do not disturb sign is hanging on the door. Should you choose to return please take note of the door hanger provided in the room that you may use to tell us when you would like your room serviced. Our house keepers do an outstanding job and we are here for you and all of our hotel guests.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Stayed for 5 nights through New Years. Haven't stayed here before so it was a roll of the dice. Wound up being a great stay. Rooms (and hotel in general) are very clean and the showers are full power and not skimpy on the hot water. Those two qualities were enough to sell me right there. The front desk personnel are personable and the cleaning crew is extremely attentive and does an outstanding job. I don't get people who whine about hotel breakfasts...its a hotel breakfast! And this one is as good as any by industry standards (and if you are too lazy to walk 3 blocks to experience the bliss that is The Breakfast Club you deserve what you get). It is on the pricey side, but I'd rather pay a little extra for clean and friendly over dirty,noisy and rude..It was also surprisingly quiet considering its location and the fact it was New Years. I didn't notice any loud, obnoxious riff-raff around the hotel; I think the hotel does a good job of exiting trouble makers.I'll be back during Spring Training...and probably next New Years also!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Hello Michael M,

Thank you for your stay. Your words are music to our ears, I will share your comments with our exceptional house-keeping and guest services staff. When you return ask about our 3 night special for additional savings.

At your service,

Jude

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We were 12 guys from London, staying here after landing in PHX, as the first night of a lads' trip. We chose it based partly on price and partly it's glowing reviews.

Overall, if you are staying briefly in Scottsdale and want to do it cheaply (as opposed to staying in one of the fancy resort hotels), then this will fit the bill. But the reviews here that suggest this is some sort of awesome hotel are well off the mark.

Upsides:
- rooms are clean and didn't seem aged. Reasonably comfortable for this price bracket.
- price.
- there is a pool.

Downsides:
- Location is poor. On a main road with little around: some eyesores like empty lots. All the restaurants and bars are a taxi ride away - not walkable.
- breakfast was very basic: just fix yourself some filter coffee and a not very nice bagel. More like a gas station breakfast. Although it was included in the rate at least.

If you're doing something more than just passing through and wanting an acceptable room at reasonable price, then you'll need to shell out more for one of the better Scottsdale hotels.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Jude N, General Manager at Sundial, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

To TheGreatRonando,
Thank you for staying with us for the first night of your Lads Trip. I apologize we did not meet your expectations. The numerous restaurants, shops, night clubs and activities of downtown Scottsdale are the main event here. Should you choose to stay with us the night before you depart to the UK please contact me directly and I will help you get pointed in the right direction to take advantage of our superior location and amenities. Also you might want to try one of our home made breakfast burritos, fresh cut fruit and Starbucks Coffee, served daily at breakfast.

All the best to you and your lads in 2014

Reviewed 16 December 2013

The rooms are amazing one of a kind. Attention to detail was used when designing rooms. The staff is wonderful. Jude the manager makes you feel at home. From the time I checked into the hotel to the moment I left I received nothing but the best customer service. This hotel is A+.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Melissa F, It was our great pleasure to have you stay with us at the Sundial. From all of us may the New Year bring you success and a little extra play-time.

We hope to see you again,

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Excellent Hotel, very clean and enjoyable staff. Conveniently located, close to restaurants and clubs. Breakfast is good and plentiful. Price is in relation with location and quality, I would definitively go back. Great overall experience

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hello Michele R, From all of us who work breakfast, housekeeping, maintenance, and front desk, Thank you for the recognition. We are fortunate to have such great guests.

At your service,

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was in Scottsdale for business but still wanted to be close to Old Town area. I found this hotel fit the bill quite well because of its proximity to nightlife, Old Town, and shopping. The hotel is very clean, appears updated and the staff went way above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable. The breakfast bar was good and fresh. I travel frequently and haven't had such a good experience in some time. I will stay again the next time I come back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hello Chris L, It makes us so proud to earn such a review. I will share your review with everyone, especially our house keepers. From the entire team here at the Sundial, thank you for choosing to stay with us and best wishes for the New Year.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I spent 4 days with my wife and my son and his wife. The hotel was very clean the service is GREAT! I loved the fresh breakfast bar in the morning. I lived in Scottsdale for 27 years and I could have stayed anywhere for free. I chose this hotel based from my daughters past stay 2 years ago. I'm glad I did.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Vince O, your words are music to our ears. Thank you to your family for staying and sending you our way. Merry Christmas to you and Mrs. O. We hope to see you again soon.