All reviewscamelback mountainthe main hotelgolf courseprivate poolhalf bathmoment you arrivejg steakhouseone bedroom suitepool attendantspecial shoutlarge balconyeach morningturn down serviceresort experiencepool serviceservice was top notchfashion square
Reviewed 2 November 2017

My wife and I stayed at the Canyon Suites at the Phoenician last month and enjoyed our stay for the most part. We have stayed at the Phoenician a few times over the past 20 years and always enjoyed the property, its features and the good service we received. We decided to try out the Canyon Suites this time.

We were impressed by the check-in process conducted at the “ambassadors” desk, rather than at a counter. We have received this service at several other hotels and think it is a nice touch. We found the ambassadors to be extremely well trained, cordial, friendly and helpful for any and all of our needs. We think they went several steps above to provide a personal touch and meet our needs.

Our room was spacious, although it was a very far walk down the hall. The Canyon Suites is its own mini hotel with a separate entrance and although it is small, the rooms are along a single very long corridor meaning some guests have a short walk and others, like us, a long walk to and from their room. The pool is excellent with plenty of chaise lounges and attendants ready and willing to serve guests. Although the hotel was full, there were never more than a handful of guests at the pool. A breakfast buffet is served each morning that includes fruit, breads, coffee, smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs and another egg dish, oatmeal and other breakfast items. While a nice touch, we found items were not replenished timely and there was only one day that the fruit tray actually had any quantity of fruit. This also went for the smoked salmon and egg items.

Now for the not so good…

1. Although the bath towels were large, they were anything but fluffy and absorbent. I get it that hotel towels get washed often, but I have had better towels at a Sheraton than these towels. At $600 to $1000 a night, I expect towels that are at least as good as what are used at a Hampton Inn.
2. We had the misfortune of being placed next to a suite with a family with young children. We were awakened at 4:30 a.m. with an hour of non-stop crying that kept us up. The walls turned out to be paper thin as we heard the kids playing and parent talking the next day as if they were right there with us in our room. I give the hotel credit for agreeing to move us to another room, which was quiet.
3. Our first room was warm when we checked in shortly after noon. By 4:00 p.m. our room was hot despite the fact the thermostat was set on 69 degrees when we arrived. At 6:00, when the room had still not cooled down, we called engineering to check the air conditioning. The engineer spent some time in the ceiling working on the unit and then told us it was working as well as it could and that the rooms facing the direction our room faced did not cool as well as other rooms. He was able to read the actual temperature and it was 74 degrees, despite the fact it was set much lower the entire day. He suggested we keep the drapes totally closed during the day and it might keep the room cool. Granted, we are talking about Arizona, but we are not talking about July or August, we are talking October when the temperatures only reach the mid-90s. Dread the thought of how hot it is in the rooms when it is 110-115 outside as it gets in Arizona in the summer. Our new room was on the other side and cooled fine.
4. We were told to call ahead for our car from the included valet service. We did so and after taking the long walk that took more than 5 minutes, our car was not in front. We told the parking attendant and he got our car within 2 minutes. He said no one told him to get our car, which meant calling ahead was a wasted effort.
5. When we checked in we were asked what daily newspaper we wanted. We opted for USA today. While a nice gesture that is common in nicer hotels, the difference at the Canyon Suites is that no newspaper was ever delivered in the 4 weekdays we were there.
6. It has been nearly a month since we checked out of the hotel and unlike most hotel stays, we have never received a questionnaire or survey from the hotel asking about our stay. I am hoping it is not because they really don’t care, but I must say it tends to come off that way.
7. And the most annoying issue we had was with housekeeping. Or should I say lack of housekeeping. On two of the three days we should have had housekeeping (not including checkout day) we returned to our room around 4:00 p.m. and it had not been touched. Our privacy sign was not on the door. We had to request housekeeping and leave the room while they made it up. I have not stayed in a Motel 6 since college, but back then even that lower tier hotel provided daily housekeeping without having to request it.

On whole, we enjoyed our stay in Scottsdale at the Canyon Suites. There were more things right than wrong, despite the list above. But next time we will avoid the upcharge of the Canyon Suites and either stay at the Phoenician, or perhaps, since we are big fans of Four Seasons hotels, give the Troon North location a try.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rickgans
Reviewed 30 September 2017

Our stay has been execptional. We travel frequently and have enjoyed many lovely hotels but this is a step above. The room is beautiful and comfortable with a large terrace to watch the sunrise. The pool, lobby and bar are also gorgeous but what sets this hotel apart is the staff, all of whom have made this stay truly relaxing and effortlessly elegant.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Margaret G
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Absolutely adored our stay here. The staff was amazing, the setting--perfection...could not have asked for a better vacation.

I had left my rings in the golf bag and realized it after the shop closed--the staff did not stop until they got in--and retrieved my rings. And then the amazing woman helping me--sent me a fruit basket! I couldn't believe it.

if you want a luxurious stay--stay here!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2017

This resort within a resort is the epitome of excellent service. Even though the Phoenician's public areas and amenities are closed for renovation, you will not miss anything when you stay here. We had two beautiful and spacious suites for six days where we were absolutely spoiled. I stayed at amazing properties around the world and I have to say that there are few that come close to this one in terms of personalized service. Every person we encountered went above and beyond what is reasonable to treat us in a very special and unexpected way. Service is a 10 on a 1 to 5 scale.
The facility is very nice and the position at the bottom of the mountain is amazing. The grounds are perfectly kept and so inviting that you will never want to leave.
The breakfast is very exquisite and every detail is perfect.
While I stayed many times at the Phoenician, this was first time at the Canyon. It was an experience in discovery. This is probably the best resort in Scottsdale.

Room Tip: "Ask & you shall receive"
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2017

My family and I (wife, 2 kids of 14 and 10) stayed here at the end of August as a stop-off travelling back to the Mid-West from our Californian vacation. We were initially unsure about the reservation as we received an email saying the main resort (Phoenician) was being remodelled, and services were impacted - but this did not impact us at all in the adjacent Canyon Suites.
The tone was set by our warm and professional greeting upon arrival. Our host not only checked us in quickly and efficiently, but then walked us to our room, and then drove us to the on-site restaurant in one of the golf carts to avoid a delay - first class service.
The room was one of the best I have ever stayed in (and Ive stayed in some nice places);
- Large suite with fabulous bathroom and guest bathroom, understated but high quality fixtures and fittings but mostly TONS OF SPACE including multiple walk in closets
- big thumbs up from my wife, who can be very fussy about hotel rooms and especially bathrooms - she loved the bathroom dual basins and cleanliness
- Nespresso machine with multiple pods (big tick from this Nespresso fan)
- Large flat screen smart TVs in main sitting area and bedroom (with great App to allow us to stream our own content easily)
- Large balcony with fabulous views of Scottsdale in distance
- We used the sofa-bedand a roll out bed too, and the staff couldn't have been nicer/faster with the service

First night we went to on-site (above golf shop) Burger restaurant. Overall high quality food and great setting, but let down by staff seating us at table with broken glass from previous guests which hadn't been cleared.
We had the guests upstairs partying hard late at night, but hotel security delay with it quickly and efficiently.
Pool area is just fabulous, but temperatures at north of 105 degrees just a little too toasty for this Brit family!

Overall, a fabulous experience, and I'll certainly be recommending to friends and family who may get the chance to go.

Room Tip: rear side rooms have view of camelback mountain and pool, our front facing room overlooked Scottsdale in the distance
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family