“golf trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #36 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Houston
“golf trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

I have been to Phoenix many times and to the old "tent city" that was the casino in years past. I spent three nights at the "Stick" last year and wanted to drop a note as I have just booked another stay. One of the bartenders in the cigar bar was an old friend and that was great to see someone that knew my name after many years! I was on my own for the weekend so I took in the spa. Do yourself the pleasure of taking an open air shower from the top floor of the hotel right before sunset. It was absolutely awesome. The service as great. I followed that up with a fine meal and made friends with many others on the road like me. The golf was great-I did hole out for a birdie on a blind bunker shot! I had played both courses before but so much better now knowing your room is 5 minutes from the 19th hole. The rooms are great, bathrooms clean and well appointed. There really is no where else to stay in the area now that there is TSR.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank 88buffs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

I love Vegas. We all know Phoenix is not Vegas. Don't get me wrong. I like Phoenix. I would just rather be in Vegas!

Recently I had to go to Phoenix on business, and since I would rather have been going to Vegas, I decided to try the Talking Stick Resort to get a little taste of the casino atmosphere. I have been to quite a few indian casinos that were real dumps, so I had pretty low expectations. However, I was very pleasantly surprised. Walking around the lobby/casino of the Talking Stick Resort felt a lot like a Vegas casino. Admittedly, it didn't have all the fancy outside attractions like an Eiffel Tower or errupting volcano. But the casino itself was definitely Vegas quality (although obviously smaller). I can honestly say that the gambling experience was excellent.

The room was also very nice. I got an Executive Club room which was furnished beautifully, and it had a very impressive bathroom and shower. I was truly impressed. Later I heard that the regular rooms weren't much different than the Club rooms, so in hindsight I might have been able to save some money and just gotten a regular room. That is something to investigate before you book a room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Jim_and_Barbie
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

New, clean hotel/casino which excelled in service. Buffet was excellent, compares to top Las Vegas buffets. Security person on duty 24/7, only one entrance, They asked to see a room card from everyone. We had a problem with the room, everything was fixed in less than an hour. New remote, new coffemaker. Golf course next to hotel was very good. We stayed on a 3-day plan. The hotel is about a mile from the freeway. It sits by itself on open range (wild horses roaming on a vast acreage, the hotel property is fenced in). Very quiet but easy to go shopping or to a restaurant. Casino was fairly large. Too may people smoking for me. The wife enjoyed playing the slots. Free internet, wired and wireless.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I was so looking forward to my stay at this hotel and a poker tournament. The room was dark when we got there, so I went over to open the blinds. On the way back my ankle was ripped open by nails sticking out of the end of the bed. The bottom footboard was off and not repaired. My husband called for help, they send up mainanance and he took one look at me and called the house emt. He was nice and bandaged up my bleeding ankle. Needless to say I couldn't do anything as my ankle was throbbing all night. I was told management would call and compensate me for their neglegance. The next morning no call.....so I called the hotel manager the next morning and he said sorry, we don't do anything for YOUR accident-- like it was my fault. He was very rude and we checked out immediatly even thought we had booked another night. We will never go back to this place. They should take responsibilty for their poor maintenance.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Surfin1212
Chandler, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed at Talking Sticks for 4th of July weekend. Even during this busy weekend we experienced excellent customer service. If you're looking for a quiet vacation, I would not recommend going during busy holiday weekends. We did not mind crowds. Hotel pool is very busy but there is a small one, just left of the main pool, more private and relaxing. Our room was beautiful; all of requests to housekeeping were answered in timely manner. This is going to be, most likely, the only time in our lifetimes when we were able to watch spectacular Scottsdale fireworks from out hotel room bed! That was an unexpected treat and we are definitely going back next year for 4th of July! We loved the interiors and enjoyed comfortable sitting areas provided throughout the hotel. Coffee Garden cafe was great, we loved dueling pianos on Friday and Saturday nights! These guys were so much fun! Wandering Horse Buffett was great for Sunday brunch, delicious and fresh food. Casino is busy but we noticed that it wasn't as smoky as other Arizona Casinos. The employees at the resort were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Deluxe King room on 8th floor was great.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Talking Stick on the surface appears nice but looks can be deceiving. The hotel operation at Talking Stick is rough compared to Fort McDowell. The Talking Stick casino is nice and compared to other Arizona casinos easier to breath because it is newer and the A/C designed to better circulate the air. However the games selection is only fair, doesn't stand a candle to Fort McDowell. The hotel at Fort McDowell, the Radisson at Fort McDowell is far and away a better place to enjoy yourself and the casino, while an older property, is a better overall experience. I would recomend Fort McDowell over Talking Stick any time. oldaztraveler

Room Tip: Radisson at Fort McDowell
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank oldaztravelers
Charlotte, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

Great room, well-appointed, nice amenities. I would never stay at this hotel again due to the simple fact that walking through the smoky casino is disgusting. After a quick walk, I felt like I needed an immediate shower due to the stench of smoke in my hair and on my clothing. There are so many options in Scottsdale that are smoke-free that I would choose from any number of other places to stay on subsequent trips.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business