“Best desert tour I've been on”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Desert Storm Hummer Tours
Ranked #40 of 51 Tours in Scottsdale
Tampa
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Best desert tour I've been on”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I've been on a number of desert tours over the past 15 years and this was the best ever. Our guide, Steve, was extremely knowledgeable and provided an extensive narrative throughout the trip. The best part was the Hummer. They have it set up with tiered rows of comfortable seats. As a result, everyone had a great view and while you do get bounced around on the trails, the seats cushioned almost all the bounces. The Hummer was definitely better than a Jeep or pickup truck, both of which I've done before.

Visited May 2013
5 Thank wrmjh

Alexandria, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“night tour a unique experience”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

My husband and I plus our teenage son really enjoyed our night tour. It lasted 4.5 hours and even though it was expensive we thought it was worth it. We were the only three on our tour and it was personal and informative. We used the night scopes plus shared the thermal vision goggles. We hiked around the desert in the dark and saw and learned many interesting things. Our guide caught a scorpion and taught us all about about mult types, etc. We learned about other wildlife, desert plant, stars and the hummer. We saw scorpions, tarantulas. other various spiders, a farrel cat and a catus wren. It was a very unique experience.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank 213suzanneA
Bend
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Being from Oregon we are aware of wildlife and have some desert being from Bend. We went in with high expectations after spending $125 a person. From the point of pick up we knew we were doomed when asked what wildlife we would see our guide said "uh you won't be seeing much" Red flag number one. As we started driving he began to explain "this is more of an information tour" we continued on and finally got to the desert. Our guide then pulled out " night vision goggles" which is just a one eyed scope. We spent the next 3 hours learning all about Cactus or Saguarros as the guide put it. Let's just say I don't want to see or hear the word Saguarros again in my lifetime. This guide missed his callin at the Botanical Gardens, I should have gone there then paid for a "desert night tour"

Visited March 2012
8 Thank Tumanator
California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Not much Bang for the Buck”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Several adults and a "tween" took this tour and were amused only by one another. The drive to and from the desert is long and tedious, and we were disappointed to only find the same wildlife we'd see in California - one rabbit, a small scorpion, a small bobcat, but no ratltesnakes, bear, cougars, or other animals -- despite a VERY long ride through the desert at night. So yes, being in the Sonoran Desert with night vision glasses is kind of cool, but our guide went on like a rather dull 9th grade science teacher and we were (can I admit it) all bored. Hate to be harsh, but this trip is very costly. Only a dedicated botanist would find it exciting, or perhaps someone who's never been outside Manhattan.

Visited August 2011
6 Thank dheads
Emeryville, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best part of our trip to Phoenix!!”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My husband and I came into town for a wedding and we wanted something fun to do at night. We signed up for the Desert Storm nighttime tour and it was absolutely incredible. It was a four hour tour of the Sonoran Desert from 7pm to 11pm. For the first half of the tour, we drove through the desert wearing night vision goggles and looked for wildlife. We had two opportunities to get out of the hummer and walk around the desert at night in the pitch black. On one of our walks, we did a scorpion hunt and located many scorpions with backlights and also used thermal goggles to search for heat images of wildlife. The second half of the tour was without night vision goggles in order to give our eyes a rest. Instead, the hummer turned on these massive lights that lit the whole desert up like daytime. We spotted several different types of wildlife, but unfortunately no snakes. Our tour leader was a biology and natural environment major who had been giving the tour for 14 years, and he just knew everything about the desert wildlife and plant life, from which scorpion bites are poisonous and how to remove cactus needles to snake bites and identifying all of the different plants we passed. He even cut the leaves off some of the plants so we could hold gem and see them using a flashlight. I would highly recommend this for anyone who wants to see the desert. Seeing at night is truly an amazing experience and is super peaceful and relaxing!

Visited August 2011