“Great Central Location”

HYATT house Scottsdale/Old Town
Ranked #23 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 February 2012

This location is great for walking to other areas. Old Scottsdale is better to walk around than drive a few blocks, try to find a parking spot, etc. Free breakfast has nice variety each day, with some staples as well. Only issue there is food while not 'cold' was only lukewarm, if they can remedy keeping food hotter, it would have been better. Staff is excellent, facility is like having an apartment. Bed was great, though there was a 'musty' smell which I couldn't pinpoint. Biggest regret is the 'drunks', especially our last night (before we had to catch a flight the next morning). That's rude on the patrons' part to be loudly talking at 330 am outside. I was going to call to the desk, but about that time they went in and SLAMMED their door. Don't really fault the hotel for this, though I do think they could put some more effort towards security walking about, especially on weekends. All in all a pleasant 5 days. We were there Feb1-5, didn't know about the Phoenix open but it wasn't a problem. Wish we'd have waited until following week for Arabian Show and 100th anniv. of AZ.

Room Tip: If you go (and if you're in the area you should), you may ask for a suite more toward the back...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dave M, General Manager at HYATT house Scottsdale/Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

Thank you for taking your time to post your comments about your stay. We're pleased that you enjoyed your visit as well as your room. We recently renovated our property and are very proud of our new look and amenities. I have passed on your comments about the temperature of the breakfast to our manager that is in charge of breakfast. We are sorry to hear about your last night with us. I have passed those comments along to security as well because we strive to make your stay as peaceful as possible. Thank you for staying and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

There are newer reviews for HYATT house Scottsdale/Old Town

Reviewed 4 February 2012

stayed on the weekend which is cheaper and it was excellent. had 2 separate bedrooms with a kitchenette and very comfortable sleeping arrangements. the breakfast was fair and not always hot but overall an excellent choice.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Great location. Suites are newly remodeled. Great beds but pillows too soft.
Free breakfast was nice every morning. A little loud on the weekends with party crowd but really a great place to stay.
I would recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2012

On the positive side:
We stayed here four nights while attending a conference. It’s a nice place that we definitely recommend. Summerfield Suites is within easy walking distance of the older part of downtown Scottsdale and the Scottsdale Civic Center. Buildings are two storeys, with rooms that open out onto exterior walkways, and all rooms open onto landscaped interior spaces rather than onto the surrounding parking areas. New room designs and furnishings from a recent upgrade to the property are very attractive, with angled walls and counters, granite counter tops in the kitchen and contemporary furnishings and light fixtures. The shower is great--a large stone-tiled walk-in with sliding glass doors and a shower nozzle over six feet high, much appreciated by us tall people. Too bad there aren’t two shower heads, because the shower is more than big enough for two. The living room with a computer work area measured 12 x 16 ft., and the bedroom with king bed had plenty of room at 11 x 14 ft. Large windows in the living room that extend almost to the floor allow plenty of natural light. Full-size appliances in the kitchen were brand new. Internet connectivity was easy, strong and reliable, and the cost of wi-fi is included in the room rate. Service at the front desk was friendly and competent. The breakfast buffet was good and included a variety of hot and cold dishes, including nutritional options. We swam in the pool, which is a decent size. The pool is well kept and located in an attractively landscaped interior courtyard area. The fitness center has a few exercise machines and a set of free weights and was adequate for a decent workout.

On the negative side:
While traffic in the area is normally not heavy, on Friday and Saturday nights there is increased activity around the hotel, apparently due to the proximity of popular night clubs. On those two nights Summerfield Suites hires a uniformed security person to control access to the hotel’s parking areas. It is necessary to stop at the entrance to the hotel driveway and give the security attendant your room number before being allowed to enter and park. I suppose this is to keep the parking lot from being filled up by nightclub guests. We did not find this to be a significant bother, but we were a little surprised on the third day of our stay to find a security vehicle blocking the driveway one evening. Also, we noticed that on Friday and Saturday there was increased foot traffic through the hotel complex. We noticed several small groups of people wandering past our first-floor room who seemed to be just passing through the complex as pedestrians, presumably on their way to the nightclubs. I suppose the security guard at the front entrance is only able to control vehicular traffic. Fortunately the passers-through were not rowdy, and overall this posed little inconvenience.

One minor annoyance has to do with the toiletries that are provided, in particular the “white ginger” shampoo. We both found it to have a distinctly unpleasant odor. In fact it was bad enough that I went out and bought a bottle of shampoo at a drug store so we wouldn’t have to use what the hotel provided.

Notes on the area: There is a Fry’s Supermarket less than a mile from the hotel, which is handy for stocking up the kitchen, and it has a decent selection of beer s and wines. We walked through nearby Old Town Scottsdale on a weekday looking for a place to have lunch. It’s charming in its own way and worth a visit, but there were surprisingly few people there. In fact the place was more or less dead. The recession appears to have hit the Phoenix area hard. Numerous businesses have closed. However, there are some interesting boutiques and specialty shops that make it worth a stroll. The restaurants we ran across in the area were not great. In fact, the lunch we finally settled on was very disappointing, and after that we drove elsewhere in Phoenix to eat out.

Room Tip: Second storey rooms may provide more privacy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Stayed at this Hyatt before it was remodeled and was not impressed. Stayed this weekend and was impressed with the work that was done. It is located in downtown Scottsdale, so it can get loud but I like the location because it is walking distance to a good variety of clubs, bars, and restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed here when I had to make a reservation on short notice and my first choice for an Old Town business hotel was booked. Next time I'll know to go somewhere else if my first choice is booked up, even if it involves a bit of a drive to Old Town.

It's more of a motel than a hotel - all external pathways and staircases, no elevators. There are no safes in any of the rooms. The rooms I had were 2br/2ba - a decent amount of space, but divided into a lot of small rooms with impossible-to-find light switches. The good news was that they had been very recently renovated. The bad news was that there was a very strong new carpet smell. There was no hairdryer, but housekeeping delivered one after several minutes. The bed was decently comfortable, and the shower was fine.

Now, about that nightclub. Apparently Scottsdale has a thriving nightlife scene. I was blissfully unaware of this, having previously stayed midweek for work at a different hotel just two short blocks away. On this trip, I was here on a Tuesday night. When I got back to my room after dinner, I could hear music. And it just got worse. We're not talking about an occasional bass thump - we're talking about sing-along-in-your-room-with-Kesha. At about 11:45 (1:45 a.m. my time), jetlagged and exhausted, I called the front desk to see what was going on. The very nice front desk clerk said that there was a club close by, and that the music normally quieted down by midnight. At about 12:25 a.m., (the club was playing some 80s/90's techno remixes) I called the front desk again. The front desk rep said that he had to deal with this every night, that the hotel has taken the club to court about the problem, that they're supposed to work with the club about it, and that he would call the club again. I asked if I should just call the police with a noise complaint, and he said he would do so. At about 12:50 a.m., when the club had moved on to blasting Britney Spears - keep in mind that this is on a Tuesday - I finally called the non-emergency Scottsdale police line. Within 10 minutes the noise was at a reasonable level.

The reason this is a 2 star instead of a 1 star review is I stayed here for two nights and the front desk staff was able to move me to a room at the other side of the property. It was much quieter. The front desk offered that the next time I stayed there, I should "ask for a quiet room" and they would see what they could do to put me on the quiet side. Thanks, but I don't think there will be a next time.

Room Tip: The Scottsdale non-emergency police line to report a noise complaint is 480-312-5000.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank awdub
Reviewed 19 January 2012

A 2 bedroom/3bed/2 bathrooms for $90 including breakfast. I did not dream and maybe you will not get such a great deal. nearly walking distance from downtown restaurants. We were there to visit Taliesin West. probably not so good if you practice golf, but at that price, not much more to ask,

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family