“Management Disregard for Customer Service and Staff Ineptitude”

Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town
Ranked #73 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I traveled to Phoenix, Sedona, Scottsdale, and San Diego for 2 weeks over the Xmas holidays, and this was, by far, the worst hotel we stayed in, mainly because of the lack of services and the ineptitude of the staff. The night we got in, I had to use my laptop for some personal business, which I could not do because the hotel network was not secured. We called the Front Desk who called the manger to find out what happened and to ask how I could access the "Free Wi-Fi" they advertise. She said she would call back; we waited over half-an-hour before we called her back. She said the manager said the techs who reset the password each month forgot to secure it and nothing could be done until morning. When we called the Front Desk the next morning, the guy said he knew nothing about Wi-Fi and could not help us.
Also, I did not get the wake-up call I scheduled before I went to bed. This was more than frustrating. No matter the cost, there's no bargain here when this kind of stuff happens.
When we returned home, our credit card company called to apprise us of an unauthorized charge made by Ex.Stay while we were already home. I called 9 or 10 times, and the phone just rang and rang---no one answered. When we finally got through, the gal said she would call us back to take care of the erroneous charge; thus far, she has not returned the call.
When one must spend this kind of time and energy to get basic services from the hotel, it is no longer worth the perceived monetary savings.
I bought this hotel accommodation through Priceline's "Express Deal". There is no way this is a 3-star hotel. So, I hold Priceline somewhat responsible for these SNAFUs because they are, obviously, not checking out the hotels they offer. I guess they can't afford to do that after paying huge advertising money to Schattner and, now, Cuoco.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nanci2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Nanci - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The lack of customer service, additional credit card charges and Wi-Fi difficulties you described are unacceptable. I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am meeting with the hotel manager and staff to review our billing procedures and Wi-Fi repair policy. As well, I am going to coach our entire team on how to provide better customer service to ensure an experience like yours does not happen again.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at elesus@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was a little bit skeptical after reading some of the reviews, but I got a killer rate and decided to give it a try. For the price I paid it was better than expected. Sometimes I am surprised when folks expect the Taj Mahal when paying peanuts. Though on the small side the room was clean and just fine. It was in much better shape than the lobby, which did not give a great first impression. Lobby desperately needs paint, a vacuum, and a new rug. The rug in the lobby was in such bad shape they would have been better off with no rug- awful. Despite that, for the price paid I was very satisfied, would stay there again in an instant, and would recommended it to anyone looking for a cheap stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fabkamob
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am happy to read your remarks about the cleanliness of your room; however, I am very sorry that the lobby did not meet your expectations. In response to your feedback, I am having our lobby area deep cleaned, including the carpet.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at elesus@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We got to the hotel about 9:30 or 10 and were told that there were no non smoking rooms available which was what I had booked. Not happy but the room was paid for so it was either this or nothing. She gave us a key to get in and told us where the room was. We parked and walked up with our bags and repeatedly tried to get into the room with the key she had given us. The key was working but the room was locked from inside, which I believe means that we repeatedly tried to gain access to an occupied room. I was glad no one came to the door. I finally gave up and went back to tell her the key was working but the door was locked. She gave me the room next door. We got in and found the room didn't smell too bad considering it was not a non smoking room. It was clean and had more stuff like a kitchen, than we needed. There was no shampoo but there was soap for the morning shower. The breakfast was very limited. I hope I am able to say that since for me the breakfast is a very important part of my stay. I think they call it a to go breakfast. coffee fruit and instant oatmeal basically. I just got my credit card bill today and I was charged "mistakenly" it was a hassle getting the charge removed. They didn't call back to tell me it was removed so I had to call twice. Not cool. The second gal told me that the charge had been removed since it was in error. Do I now have to go to my credit card website to verify? I should. So more hassle. It was an okay place to stay for one night. But a few of these items should be tightened up on. Oh and for some reason the upstairs walk way looks like it has stuff all over it. The mats have been torn away and it looks like gum or something has been removed from the walkway. The lower level didn't look that way. I noticed there was a laundrymat at this hotel so if you were road tripping and needed to do laundry this would be a good place to stay to get the two in one. sleep and clean clothes.

Room Tip: 1st floor is easier. I didn't see a elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HOTWIRELOVER
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. The situation you described regarding being able to gain entry into the correct room, and credit card billing is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team is going to be retrained on proper check in operations/billing, as well as coached on giving the best customer service and consistent follow through to ensure we not only we do things correctly but ensure that once we correct an issue we call our guests back every time.
The upstairs walk ways will be cleaned promptly and door mats are in the process of being replaced.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at elesus@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Review of room 131- extended stay motels
Upon arrival (we were staying because of my husbands surgery at Scottsdale Osborn hosp) 'Jackie" at the front desk started our check in then said "let me go check your room to make sure its clean" left us at the counter for more than 20 minutes waiting, finally some other lady came and finished checking us in--another 15 minutes, never saw 'Jackie' again. we get into the room its filthy, dirt and garbage on the floor, bathroom is dirty with pee on the seat (I took plenty of pictures) phone did not work, bed had dirt and dog hair in it. this is just the top things on a list of many --so I cleaned the room and changed the bedding all the way to the mattresses--thats when we found the huge yellow stain on the mattress , I had to walk down to the office for all the supplies to clean with and bedding because the phone in the room did not work (I asked many times for the staff to clean... no one came to clean or fix phone or heater by 8 pm) we were very angry about the staff ignoring us the way they did and being from out of town, did not know where any other motels were & my husband had to be at the hospital by 8 am the next day. we stayed in room 131. my daughter came to be with me and would not stay in the room she chose to sleep in her car in the parking lot! she said it was cleaner and warmer!! I have NEVER been so disgusted in my life. not to mention appalled by the sheer laziness and lack of concern of all the staff there...I will never stay there or at any of your properties ever again and I will post this review on every site I can find along with pictures. I would like to prevent others from making this same mistake. my opinion of this property is that it is run/owned by a slum lord....

Room Tip: go to a different motel. please.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Lia y

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The situation you described regarding the lack of customer service and cleanliness is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I will personally share these comments with all the staff members and address each of your concerns, including the lack of customer service. I will personally inspect hotel rooms at this location; retrain our housekeeping and front office staff to ensure this never happens again and that this location upholds to high cleanliness and customer service standards that Extended Stay America strives for.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I hope that you will contact me directly, at elesus@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I normally find the ESA chain to be a clean, functional option for extended stays.

This one falls far short of the normal standards for the chain. No one was available to check me in when I arrived exhausted and tired at 3 pm, the line at the front desk was three people deep with no one staffing the front desk, and the front desk staff unavailability was a consistent problem throughout my stay. (They put out a sign that says use the phone to call, but there is no phone. I used my cell to call, but the phone just rang the unattended front desk, so it was circular problem. I had to call my husband to ask him to look up other numbers to get someone to show up.)

Once I checked it at long last, I asked if my room was on the north or south side of the building. (It's one of those where you park in front of your room.) The front desk clerk shrugged and said she didn't know and dismissed me. (She did not offer to look it up.) Another guest behind me, also waiting in line, was able to chime in to answer the question. Nice of him, but I also didn't necessarily want a strange man behind me to know my room location since I was staying there as a single young woman alone.

Overall, this particular location has a seedy feel. I would describe the overall impression as unclean and in disrepair. Cigarette butts everywhere. Further, there were blood drips dried onto the wall of the bathroom when I checked in. As another example, the pool only has about 4 chairs, and one of them had the fabric all ripped out and dangling and no one has removed it or fixed it. As a third example, the pool gate was broken (locking people in or out), and I reported this twice but it wasn't really fixed, just sort of managed and then I was told to leave it open. So you have to take care to leave it propped open or else face the consequences. I have reported this problem to staff numerous time, and they seemed nonchalant about it and said, "Oh, ya, that happens all the time."

In addition, it's the kind of place where shirtless men loiter on the second floor balconies smoking cigarettes, talking on their cell phones, and ogling you from above (if you are a single woman) as you come and go from your car or room. Not a very safe feeling.

The front desk staff is never there, and I have frequently had to call the national number to complain to get someone to show up at the front desk during the day time.

My card keys get deactivated all the time, so I'm constantly locked out of my room. Staff blamed me, saying I must have stored the keys near a cell phone or pennies, but I've never had this problem at any other ESA or other hotel, and I travel several times a month on average.

In general, the front desk staff don't care, the maintenance staff doesn't care, and it appears that management doesn't care either. So I don't care to stay here again. It's a no-tell motel all the way.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Momo2828
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed two nights, and the location was fantastic for visiting Scottsdale, approximately 5 minute walk from Old Town restaurants and shops. Room was average. Aged, but clean and tidy. I HATE when hotels use the bright white flourescent compacts and this place was no exception. PLEASE, management, if you read this, purchase the WARM WHITE flourescent bulbs from now on. Same price, but offer a much warmer, comfortable environment.

Breakfast was the same as most ESA locations, minus only offering plain oatmeal. Who the hell wants to eat plain outmeal? Most other locations offer flavored oatmeal.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Dirty_A_1123
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am so glad that you liked our hotel's location and your clean room. Still, I am sorry that the lights did not meet your expectations and that we did not have any flavored oatmeal available. In response to your feedback, I am meeting with our maintenance team and our staff to correct these issues.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at sct@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was my first extended stay visit and overall it was fine. I wasn't expecting the rooms to be so small but I did expect it be cleaner. The kitchen cabinets needed a good surface cleaning. The edges of the cabinets had dust and crumbs in them, almost as if they hadn't been wiped down in months. The kitchen table looked dirty but when I wiped it down I realized that it was stained and it was chipped. There also was food left in the refrigerator and a glass with liquid left in the microwave. The hotel is in a great location, close to all sorts of shopping and dining options. I am not sure if I would stay here again but the price of the stay was reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie W
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Stephanie - Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I sincerely apologize that your room was unclean and certain items were in need of repair. To prevent this from happening again, my team is working to improve our cleaning procedures and will be making repairs as needed.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at sct@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Howard Johnson Scottsdale Old Town
3 Palms Hotel
3 Palms Hotel
#35 of 75 in Scottsdale
Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town? Share your experiences!