“For a cheap and short stay, for anything else go elsewhere” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town

Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town
Ranked #73 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
“For a cheap and short stay, for anything else go elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel when I came to Scottsdale for work, in room 129. As a hint, after the first week I already hated it. Since it was paid by my company, I was stuck there for two full months from January to March.
The room is small, smelly, rug and walls are dirty and the furniture is cheap looking. The bed had a bad mattress, too soft for me, so I woke up in the mornings with a sore neck. The shower was broken so half the water spilled out before getting to me.
This is not a long stay hotel, it has two old stoves, a small microwave, a coffee maker in poor condition and no oven whatsoever.
Service was poor to plain awful. Most of the staff is polite, never had a problem with anyone, but they all appear to, either, be very dumb or they just don't care. Every time I needed something I had to ask for it at least three times in different instances to see it done. As an example, rooms are supposed to be cleaned once a week, although I had issues with it every single week, which ended in repeated visits to front desk asking for it. As a result, I had my room cleaned once a week and a half if I was lucky.
As for hotel amenities: Awful, simply awful.
The pool is pitiful, dirty and small.
Complementary breakfast is close to non existing, a coffee and a bagged muffin, half the times either one was missing. They also went two full weeks without coffee lids, so I ended up spilling my coffee in my car more than once.
Wifi is another thing that will give you nightmares. Slow, incredibly slow. I had it tested once, only to see a remarkable 0,8 mbps at 8 pm.
In conclusion, I would never recommend this hotel, to anyone.

Room Tip: If you plan on staying here for long, don't. There are lovely apartments for monthly rents for t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Bruno W
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Bruno - Thank you for sharing your experience. It upset me to learn that our level of customer service and cleanliness did not meet our normal standards. Please know, I will meet with our entire staff to review our customer service policies and cleaning procedures to ensure that your experience is not repeated. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly at sct@extendestay.com.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

My experience at the hotel was good. The main problem that I encountered is that during my stay I had to be hospitalized for a week. I was the only person staying in my room and have had jewellery and clothing stolen that I know I wore during my stay there. Have emailed a employee about the incident and still have not received a response. My next step is to contact the manager and corporate headquarters...

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank march71
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you had items go missing during your stay. Please reach out to me, at sct@extendedstay.com, so we can discuss this issue further. Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in the area.
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

The room was small but packed with what we wanted: queen bed, full sized frig, even had a 2 burner stove as a full kitchenette including microwave, coffee maker and a 2 person dining table. Bottom line-it is not new, but it was clean. A bit of room odor, only when we arrived, so we just opened the door and windows and in 10 minutes the room smelled fine. This location is awesome, about a mile from amazing and quaint shopping, dining area. We even popped into the farmers market there on Saturday morning and had a blast with buying all kinds of food while wondering around. You will easily pay twice this price anywhere else in the area, save some $, do spend it on nice meals. We even went on walks right out of our room as there were neighborhoods with sidewalks and lovely landscaping nearby. WE WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Danno D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your clean room and fully equipped kitchen. As well, I am glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location. Still, I apologize that you experienced an unpleasant odor upon entering your room. I will be sure to meet with our housekeeping staff to ensure that this problem does not happen in the future. We would love to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

My husband and I traveled to Phoenix, Sedona, Scottsdale, and San Diego for 2 weeks over the Xmas holidays, and this was, by far, the worst hotel we stayed in, mainly because of the lack of services and the ineptitude of the staff. The night we got in, I had to use my laptop for some personal business, which I could not do because the hotel network was not secured. We called the Front Desk who called the manger to find out what happened and to ask how I could access the "Free Wi-Fi" they advertise. She said she would call back; we waited over half-an-hour before we called her back. She said the manager said the techs who reset the password each month forgot to secure it and nothing could be done until morning. When we called the Front Desk the next morning, the guy said he knew nothing about Wi-Fi and could not help us.
Also, I did not get the wake-up call I scheduled before I went to bed. This was more than frustrating. No matter the cost, there's no bargain here when this kind of stuff happens.
When we returned home, our credit card company called to apprise us of an unauthorized charge made by Ex.Stay while we were already home. I called 9 or 10 times, and the phone just rang and rang---no one answered. When we finally got through, the gal said she would call us back to take care of the erroneous charge; thus far, she has not returned the call.
When one must spend this kind of time and energy to get basic services from the hotel, it is no longer worth the perceived monetary savings.
I bought this hotel accommodation through Priceline's "Express Deal". There is no way this is a 3-star hotel. So, I hold Priceline somewhat responsible for these SNAFUs because they are, obviously, not checking out the hotels they offer. I guess they can't afford to do that after paying huge advertising money to Schattner and, now, Cuoco.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nanci2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Nanci - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The lack of customer service, additional credit card charges and Wi-Fi difficulties you described are unacceptable. I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am meeting with the hotel manager and staff to review our billing procedures and Wi-Fi repair policy. As well, I am going to coach our entire team on how to provide better customer service to ensure an experience like yours does not happen again.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at elesus@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in town.

Travellers are raving about these Scottsdale hotels

Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was a little bit skeptical after reading some of the reviews, but I got a killer rate and decided to give it a try. For the price I paid it was better than expected. Sometimes I am surprised when folks expect the Taj Mahal when paying peanuts. Though on the small side the room was clean and just fine. It was in much better shape than the lobby, which did not give a great first impression. Lobby desperately needs paint, a vacuum, and a new rug. The rug in the lobby was in such bad shape they would have been better off with no rug- awful. Despite that, for the price paid I was very satisfied, would stay there again in an instant, and would recommended it to anyone looking for a cheap stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Fabkamob
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am happy to read your remarks about the cleanliness of your room; however, I am very sorry that the lobby did not meet your expectations. In response to your feedback, I am having our lobby area deep cleaned, including the carpet.

Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at elesus@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
LYNNWOOD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

We got to the hotel about 9:30 or 10 and were told that there were no non smoking rooms available which was what I had booked. Not happy but the room was paid for so it was either this or nothing. She gave us a key to get in and told us where the room was. We parked and walked up with our bags and repeatedly tried to get into the room with the key she had given us. The key was working but the room was locked from inside, which I believe means that we repeatedly tried to gain access to an occupied room. I was glad no one came to the door. I finally gave up and went back to tell her the key was working but the door was locked. She gave me the room next door. We got in and found the room didn't smell too bad considering it was not a non smoking room. It was clean and had more stuff like a kitchen, than we needed. There was no shampoo but there was soap for the morning shower. The breakfast was very limited. I hope I am able to say that since for me the breakfast is a very important part of my stay. I think they call it a to go breakfast. coffee fruit and instant oatmeal basically. I just got my credit card bill today and I was charged "mistakenly" it was a hassle getting the charge removed. They didn't call back to tell me it was removed so I had to call twice. Not cool. The second gal told me that the charge had been removed since it was in error. Do I now have to go to my credit card website to verify? I should. So more hassle. It was an okay place to stay for one night. But a few of these items should be tightened up on. Oh and for some reason the upstairs walk way looks like it has stuff all over it. The mats have been torn away and it looks like gum or something has been removed from the walkway. The lower level didn't look that way. I noticed there was a laundrymat at this hotel so if you were road tripping and needed to do laundry this would be a good place to stay to get the two in one. sleep and clean clothes.

Room Tip: 1st floor is easier. I didn't see a elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HOTWIRELOVER
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Phoenix - Scottsdale - Old Town, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. The situation you described regarding being able to gain entry into the correct room, and credit card billing is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. To prevent this from happening again, my team is going to be retrained on proper check in operations/billing, as well as coached on giving the best customer service and consistent follow through to ensure we not only we do things correctly but ensure that once we correct an issue we call our guests back every time.
The upstairs walk ways will be cleaned promptly and door mats are in the process of being replaced.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at elesus@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
Sedona, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Review of room 131- extended stay motels
Upon arrival (we were staying because of my husbands surgery at Scottsdale Osborn hosp) 'Jackie" at the front desk started our check in then said "let me go check your room to make sure its clean" left us at the counter for more than 20 minutes waiting, finally some other lady came and finished checking us in--another 15 minutes, never saw 'Jackie' again. we get into the room its filthy, dirt and garbage on the floor, bathroom is dirty with pee on the seat (I took plenty of pictures) phone did not work, bed had dirt and dog hair in it. this is just the top things on a list of many --so I cleaned the room and changed the bedding all the way to the mattresses--thats when we found the huge yellow stain on the mattress , I had to walk down to the office for all the supplies to clean with and bedding because the phone in the room did not work (I asked many times for the staff to clean... no one came to clean or fix phone or heater by 8 pm) we were very angry about the staff ignoring us the way they did and being from out of town, did not know where any other motels were & my husband had to be at the hospital by 8 am the next day. we stayed in room 131. my daughter came to be with me and would not stay in the room she chose to sleep in her car in the parking lot! she said it was cleaner and warmer!! I have NEVER been so disgusted in my life. not to mention appalled by the sheer laziness and lack of concern of all the staff there...I will never stay there or at any of your properties ever again and I will post this review on every site I can find along with pictures. I would like to prevent others from making this same mistake. my opinion of this property is that it is run/owned by a slum lord....

Room Tip: go to a different motel. please.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Lia y
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. The situation you described regarding the lack of customer service and cleanliness is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I will personally share these comments with all the staff members and address each of your concerns, including the lack of customer service. I will personally inspect hotel rooms at this location; retrain our housekeeping and front office staff to ensure this never happens again and that this location upholds to high cleanliness and customer service standards that Extended Stay America strives for.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I hope that you will contact me directly, at elesus@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.