“Great Potential, easy fixes”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I usually only stay at Marriotts, but my niece was in a NAM pageant at this hotel so I stayed there for ease. I was surprised at the spacious, beautiful grounds this hotel had to offer. I didn't feel like I was in the desert at all. The hotel was obviously overrun by the pageant but seemed like the staff was making a great effort to run smoothly. The room was nice but I was shocked that there wasn't a minifridge or microwave in there. I don't know if this is common with the Doubletree brand but it seems outdated. We couldn't keep leftovers which was a shame since the portions were large and the food was excellent and we had all of our meals at the pools, restaurant and lounge since we didn't really have time to leave the hotel. The pool bartender from New Mexico was really great with the kids and very pleasant, even in the extreme heat. The restaurant staff seemed a bit overwhelmed but nice, the food was good and it was great to see the manager visibly helping out his staff. Our only issue was in the lounge during lunch. Our server, Josh, I remembered his name as it's my son's name kept disappearing for 20-30 minutes at a time and never checked up on us. However, once the young lady also working there heard our complaints, she came right over and took care of our check and straightened out our mixed up dessert (the brownie is to die for) and took great care of us and it seemed everyone else that was there. I thought maybe he had gone home but she told us he was probably checking on food. Well, we finally saw him, standing around with nothing in his hands, on our way out. He must have spent about 10 minutes up there during the hour and a half we were there while she was running around the entire time. Usually I don't complain and I know it was busy but everyone single person there seemed to be working so hard while he did nothing. I wish I remembered her name and the gentleman's name at the pool, they are both a credit to your hotel, if not for them our rating probably would have been a 2 based on his service alone. Front desk staff was also efficient in dealing with the large number of people checking in and out, they were quick but the gentleman still took time to ask us about our stay. The reason I always stay at Marriott hotels is the exceptional quality of service, so I was impressed that most of the staff here was so positive and upbeat during an obviously taxing weekend. With the simple addition of microwaves and mini refrigerators, this hotel could be top notch.

Room Tip: The hotel grounds are very spacious so if you don't want to walk a lot, especially in the heat...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for being with us for the North American Miss pageant and for this very complimentary review and high ratings on your stay at our resort. We greatly value this pageant each year, although it does maximize our entire property and take a full team effort. This, however, is the best test of what work ethic, attitude and levels of service that staff truly has. I apologize that there was one exception to your service experience and it has been addressed. We are glad that everything else went well. We are also in the process of replacing our minibar units in every guest rooms with refrigerators for guest use, as many have expressed similar views as you. We hope to see you back again, if not at our next pageant then on your own.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,046)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Overall a good property, good service. Handicap rooms are easily accessible. Good location and easy access to Scottsdale old town, and is close to Lincoln drive so easy access to the Biltmore and 24th/Camelback shopping. The only issue is in my room, I had no cell service. That is not acceptable at any hotel/resort.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Loren, thank you for being with us and for this very positive review and highest ratings on your stay at our resort. We appreciate the many compliments. At the same time, I apologize for the issues in phone service in some areas of our property and we are working on solutions to provide better coverage throughout. We do hope that despite this, you will return if and when your travels bring you back to Scottsdale.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Friendly staff, was extra charge on my room but representative found it and reversed the charge. Nice having a bar poolside along with service so you can relax by the pool.Great stay. Will stay again if in the area. Will recommend to friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Barbara, thank you for being with us and for this very positive review and highest ratings on your stay at our resort. We appreciate the compliments and look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

On this busy event weekend, I had to adjust my plans based on whether I wanted to leave the hotel and lose my parking space or simply pass on the errand. The valet parking was even full! I was surprised to find no vanity table under the mirror...very strange. The hotel provided a rickety table with a tablecloth to substitute. As always, we loved the cookies; although, one batch was over-done. Enjoyed the pools, and the cleanliness was decent.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you, Bob, for selecting our resort and for this feedback on your stay with us. I apologize for the parking issues you experienced during the past weekend. We had the National American Miss pagaent with us, which at times completely filled our parking lots and beyond. We do offer complimentary shuttle in a two mile radius of the resort which can get you around to errands without using your car or losing your parking spot. Such big events do impact other guests but parking demand of this nature does not happen very often. We will also look into the vanity issue in your room and see what better can be done. Since you live so close, we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to take care of you when we don't have such demand or issues.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel was beautiful, well kept and spread out. Unfortunately, a lot of ground means NO parking concept was built into the plans. The beds were definitely getting old. The pool was very comfortable

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
doubletree1, General Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Paradise Valley - Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Henry, thank you for selecting our resort for your stay in Scottsdale and for this postiive review and high ratings on your time at our resort. We appreciate the compliments but do apologize for this issues you experienced with parking and your bed. We have ample parking around the entire property but not enough up front when guests want to be close to the lobby or meeting spaces. We offer complimentary valet to guests for this purpose. From the looks of your ratings, we are glad that these issues did not ruin your stay and that you left on a positive note. We do hope that you will return to our resort if and when your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here for my daughter's National American Miss pageant. Even though the hotel was totally booked, everyone who served us was pleasant and helpful. We are coming back for another event shortly,and will be staying at the Doubletree again. Thanks for helping make this a very pleasant experience.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Greg, thank you, your family and the pageant for being with us and for this very positive review and high ratings on your stay at our resort. We appreciate your compliments and are very proud of having the National American Miss at our resort each year. We know we must earn it and look forward to having you all back next year.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Not pleased with the customer service we received from the restaurant and lounge staff during this visit. Front desk and housekeeping staff - very pleasant! Lounge staff - barely visible and when we ordered food and/or beverages, had to go over the restaurant ourselves when we needed something else. Server didn't return to see how everything was till we were done and then we were charged a 22% gratuity on a 2 person party. That would have been fine if we had received at least good service. Visited the actual restaurant for breakfast the next morning. Server was nice but barely visible. Went up to the hostess stand to get a menu for a to-go item and was told that I would have to get a menu from our server. Went back to my table and waited, and waited, and waited. Went back to the hostess stand and was told, "I told you you would have to go through your server." The following evening we attended a function in a hospitality suite. Our food did not come with serving utensil so went down to the restaurant to see if we could get some from them. The GM literally rolled his fingers in a motion of "hurry up." When we asked if he was in a hurry he said yes and what did we need. I realize the hotel was extremely busy but this is not the level of service that I expect from a Hilton, or any hotel or restaurant for that fact.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you Robin for being with us and for this feedback on your stay at our resort. I apologize for the issues you experienced in the restaurant and lounge during your time with us. This will be addressed with those team members involved. We must ensure that we provide a high level of friendliness, hospitality and service, especially when we are busiest. I am at a loss as to who was the GM you encountered, as it was not me, but I am inquiring. I am glad that the rest of your stay went well and I do hope that you will give us another future opportunity to show you these issues have been addressed and that we are better than this.