“Relaxing Stay at Sheraton Desert Oasis”

Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ranked #7 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Edmonton, Canada
“Relaxing Stay at Sheraton Desert Oasis”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We were really impressed with this resort! We stayed in a one bedroom unit with a full kitchen and had plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 children. The bedroom was enormous, as was the washroom. The kitchen was fully stocked with dishes, pots, pans and cutlery. We were provided with dishwasher and laundry detergent which was very helpful. We had requested a room in a quiet location and it was lovely to sit out on our balcony in the mornings and evenings enjoying the heat in peace.
Our whole family loved the pool area. The temperatures were around 105 to 110 during our stay so the unheated/cool pool was delightful. It would not be so delightful during cooler times of the year but not sure if they heat the pool in the winter. There were plenty of loungers by the pool even though the resort was quite busy. We never had trouble finding a place to sit and the pool is very large so my kids found their own section and jumped in and swam for hours at a time. Bring your own floating toys (though they are also for sale in the gift shop). We enjoyed the "dive-in" movie on Saturday night with popcorn for sale. We had lunch at the pool bar one day and the food was very good. One thing that was a surprise was the large playground area available - one extra plus for families.
This is a timeshare resort which we had booked as a hotel. There were a couple of requests for us to meet with a consierge about the timeshare options. They did not pressure us so that was fine.
There were plenty of grocery stores and restaurants nearby - it was convenient to many services. You will need a car in this city.
We will definitely stay here again on our next visit to Phoenix. The service and amenities were excellent.

Room Tip: I would recommend going for a full kitchen unit - lots of room!
2 Thank CanadianFamily480
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Wow, we are blushing. What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your gift of feedback. We enjoy knowing when our guests have had the opportunity to take full advantage of the villa’s amenities. To better accommodate our guests whatever their reason for staying with us we are happy to provide a replenishing of villa supplies complimentary at 24 hours a day.

Your experience on the patio sounds very relaxing and it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your villa location. Having our pool centrally located with a variety of desert landscaping throughout the property provides our guests with views to fully experience the beauty of Arizona. We do actually keep the temperature of our pools regulated at 83-84 degrees Celsius so our guests can feel refreshed all year long. It is wonderful to hear that you were able to attend the Dive-In movie which one of our most popular events on the activity calendar, especially when the weather has been so nice.

It is so terrific that you and your family were able to enjoy so many areas of the property during your stay. We look forward to having you all back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We did a timeshare exchange into the Sheraton Desert Oasis and enjoyed it very much. The resort is very convenient to all areas of Scottsdale and the loop roads. The unit we enjoyed was a one bedroom with full kitchen, including a washer and dryer. It was on the second floor of a building with an elevator. Make sure you ask for an elevator building if you don't want to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs.

The staff was very accomodating and helpful. They had lots of suggestions for places to visit and sights to see. The clubhouse is very well laid out and next to the pool.

The unit was well equipped and maintained. We do enjoy having kitchen facilities to prepare a simple breakfast or buy something from the grocery store and have it in our unit.

We would recommend the Desert Oasis for travelers who want to explore central Arizona.

Room Tip: Ask for an unit in a building with an elevator.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerFromPenn
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, 17 September 2011
Hello!

Thank you so much for sharing your story!

The Sheraton Desert Oasis is thrilled you enjoyed your location, your unit size, and the amenities within.

Scottsdale, along with Arizona, has so many options available when it comes to lodging and we surely do appreciate your loyalty.

We thrive to ensure exceptional guest experiences and look forward to welcoming you back again in the not-too-distant future!

Have a splendid fall season!
Cave Creek, AZ
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My wife & I have stayed here 3 times now, trading a timeshare week each time. The location is great, lots of restaurants nearby, and the freeway with access to everything else is just 1/4 mile away (far enough away not to hear it).

If you're into in-room cooking then get a room with a full kitchen, the partial kitchen is good for microwaving and delivery pizza but that's it. Note there is no on-site restaurant (but Pizza Hut delivers!)

Service (whether front desk, concierge, housecleaning, or maintenance) has always been prompt whenever we had any little thing wrong or needed something extra.

The pool is the main attraction, there is always a good crowd and plenty of activities going on around it. There is also a quiet, adults-only pool where you can hide and read or take a nap in the shade.

Among the activities I enjoy are the wine tasting, the sunday sundae buffet, and the putting for marguaritas. Good places to eat nearby are Temple Sports Bar, Odonoghue's Pub (happy hour), 92nd Street Cafe, and Jasper's Peak Bistro (happy hour), Tilted Kilt. Also Fry's foods nearby for groceries.

Only possible complaint is that the rooms might be a little tight on space for a family; however, the single with full kitchen was fine for two. Oh, and free wifi too!

Room Tip: Ground floor is good, stairs only for 2nd story. Go for the full kitchen if you want to do any cooki...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for being a frequent guest of ours! We love welcoming back familiar faces. Your review is so kind and much appreciated, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I’m so pleased to hear that our whole team from Front Desk to Housekeeping was very helpful and friendly. We certainly strive for perfection! We’re looking forward to welcoming you back for a 4th visit. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if we can assist with location preferences or anything at all. We’ll take good care of you.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We had a one bedroom, one bathroom deluxe room on the ground floor. The room was very nice and comfortable with a huge jacuzzi in the master bedroom. There are two pools. One is huge and meant for family and friends and kids. The second one is the "Grotto Pool". Smaller, but surrounded by beautiful trees and is much quieter for people who would prefer the atmosphere of sitting around in the warm weather in their swimsuits, but need to get out of the direct sun. The staff were so pleasant. Well groomed, smiling, eager to help. No maid service during the week, but if you need anything, or your dirty towels taken away, the housekeeping staff appeared within five minutes with a smile on their face. I would come back again!

Room Tip: There are no elevators and no one offered to help with luggage. I saw a lot of people struggling wi...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank LightTraveler33
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, 10 September 2011
Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It sounds like you had an enjoyable time in Scottsdale. The quiet pool is very peaceful and relaxing, I can see why you enjoyed it so much! We appreciate the compliments on our staff, I agree and truly believe we have the best team around. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Houston
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We very much enjoyed our stay at the resort. We had a large one-bedroom condo through our RCI timeshare ownership. It was extremely comfortable - from the well-equipped kitchen to the quality of the bed. Really enjoyed the large walk-in shower with two shower heads, too! We requested an upstairs unit to avoid the potential of having a family with small children constantly running over our heads. They were happy to accommodate us.

While the resort is certainly not at the top end of the spa and resort luxury experience that can be found elsewhere in the Scottsdale area, it is quite nice and thoroughly enjoyable. The location is also great with easy access to major highways.

Now for the two negatives: Do not fall for the $100 gift card offered through the concierge desk. It's so not worth it. We had to suffer through well over 90 minutes of a timeshare hard sell with 'Janie' who would not take no for an answer. Never again! Also - the advertised internet wireless service simply did not work in our condo - and we were quite close to the office. Neither my laptop or my husband's I-pad could connect. Multiple calls eventually resulted in being ignored by the staff.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for posting your comments about Sheraton Desert Oasis on Tripadvisor. Of all the great properties to stay at in Scottsdale, we’re happy you chose to spend your vacation with us! We’re pleased you found our location and ‘home-like’ feel accommodating. I’m also happy we were able to meet your request for a top floor villa. We strive to meet all requests in hopes of providing our guests with the best possible stay. I’m saddened to hear about the lack of internet connection in your villa and apologize that we weren’t able to correct that for you during your stay. Please know it is always our intention to correct issues brought to our attention and I’m so sorry we fell short in this case. Thank you for providing such valuable feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the desert oasis in the future.
New York
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We just returned from the Sheraton Desert Oasis, we stayed there from 8/19 through 8/26 and we really enjoyed our stay. I want to start by saying that we arrived early around 12:30pm and I was told by the front desk that our room was ready and that we could check in and go to the room. That was a nice surprise since we had an early start from NY and the kids really wanted to go in the pool. Since I was travelling with 2 childen, one boy age 10 (my son) and one girl age 12 (who are not related, just friends) I asked if I could upgrade just to give us a little more room. I was told that they were full and that we would not be able to upgrade. As I was disappointed I did understand that upgrading was based on availablility and so I did understand. After receiving the key to our unit we went to the room so the kids could change into their bathing suits for the pool. As soon as we walked into the room I noticed the one bedroom is somewhat small for the three of us but I was sure we could make due. Once inside the room my son complained of the smell of cigarettes and I smelled it as well. Immediately I knew I had to change the room as the smell of cigarette might trigger his ashma, so I returned to the front desk and explained my problem. A manager was on duty and overheard my problem. She informed me that it would not be a problem to change rooms, I also mentioned that the room was rather small for the three of us and would like to possible upgrade, if a bigger room becomes available. She advised me to go and have lunch and give her some time to see what she could do. I left my cell number with her. About 30 minutes later she called and told me she had an upgrade for us and that the room was ready as well. The upgrade was well worth the 30 extra dollars as we did the need the extra room. The manager was extremely helpful.

The 1 bedroom with full kitchen is large and and clean. The room is well maintained and decorated nicely. The king bed was extemely comfortable and the full kitchen was a plus as I was able to cook breakfast and make lunch on the days we were not sightseeing. The bathroom was clean. The shower had two shower heads which was a nice touch. Although I did not use the jacuzzi it was nice as well.

The pool is large and clean as well. The kids and I had a great time enjoying the pool especially since the weather was so hot. We always found lounge chairs and umbrellas no matter what time of the day we went. The quiet pool was just outside our unit balcony, which was an added pleasure for me. I enjoyed sitting out there in the morning reading while while the kids were still asleep. I watched every morning someone taking care of the pool, cleaning and making sure clean towels were out. The free wi-fi was definately a plus as well as the computers and printers in the main lobby. The kids enjoyed some of the activities the Sheraton did offer to them, they especially like the ice sodas and sundaes..Great touch!

The resort is not so large that it is difficult or an inconveniece to get around, but just the right size. There are a few supermarkets close by. There are also pleanty of restaurants and fast food places to eat. My only compaint about the resort is that there are no restaurant on site and the pool grill closes early, but as I mentioned there are enough places within minutes of the resort to get something to eat.

All in all the Sheraton Desert Oasis is a wonderful place to stay while visiting Scottdale. I would definately stay there again as well as recommending it to others.

Room Tip: As for the room upgrade if you are travelling with more than one child
1 Thank alt1my
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, 3 September 2011
First and foremost, thank you for a wonderful review and 5 star rating of our resort! Your review is very informative and paints a great picture of what we strive for here at Sheraton Desert Oasis. I’m so pleased our Manager on Duty was able to provide a more comfortable villa for you and your family to enjoy for the week. The full kitchen and the extra space make all the difference sometimes. You’ll have to visit us again soon so you can take advantage of the jetted Jacuzzi tub-very relaxing after a day on the town. Our Director of fun will love to hear that you enjoyed our onsite activities. During the summer months, the ice cream social and root beer floats are our guest’s favorites, as well as water volleyball at the main pool. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to provide you with another wonderful stay in the future!
San Jose, California
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We thought this is a nice resort but it all went tumbling down when we woke up on our third night of our supposed to be 7night stay with the fire alarm sounding like crazy. Checking all our rooms to make sure that nothing is on fire. Pulling out plugs thinking the rooms is overheating. Turning on the vent in full blast thinking it will help but still could not sleep finally called the front desk informing us that its alarm failure. But having it three times from 1 to 3am is just unbelievable. Finally morning comes told them that we are checking out because of this and was told that just to leave the keys and call the front desk when we leave. Finally when we are all pack ready to move to JW Marriotts Villas which was newer and bigger when front desk informed us that they could move us to nearby Westin. Its just too late we made all the arrangement and the 3 hours of packing and a last minute thing offer and the nightmare of fire alarm that never stop is not my thing.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Cecille22
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the experience you incurred during your stay with us. We are deeply concerned and understand that while the stay began on a positive note, the interruption form the fire alarm resulted in us falling short of a great and memorable vacation experience.

Arizona’s dust storms, some of the largest we’ve had in years, were unexpected and unpredictable which presented new challenges for us as a resort. Unfortunately this storm damaged the fire panel in your building causing the alarm to sound sporadically throughout the evening causing stress to you and your guests. It is a priority here at the Sheraton Desert Oasis to ensure our guests are not only safe but also feel comfortable during their stay. We assure you we take our guests’ satisfaction very seriously and would appreciate the opportunity to reconnect with you. Again, our sincerest apologies for this incident. We look forward to making this right and winning you back as a valued owner.