“Great Accommodation as a home base to explore Scottsdale/Phoenix!”

Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Red Deer, AB
“Great Accommodation as a home base to explore Scottsdale/Phoenix!”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Our family party of four adults stayed at the Sheraton Desert Oasis for two weeks from February 19, 2012 to March 4, 2012 in a two bedroom lock-off, sleeps 8 unit, namely Units 1115 and 1116, which we were able to exchanged into utilizing Interval International. We found the North Eastern area of Scottsdale location of the Resort, to be in an excellent position to use as a home base to explore Scottsdale and the Phoenix environs. It is close to many attractions: Old Town Scottsdale, a number of casinos, the Talking Stick Baseball facility where spring training games were being played, the Jobbing.com arena where the Phoenix Coyotes call home, numerous shopping centres, Frys Food stores, Wallmart, Costco for gasoline, Taliesin West and many great restaurants. Being just off Highway 101, Exit 35, made it easy to access Highway 17 to head North to the Grand Canyon; South to Highway 10 to Tucson, or West to Highway 10 and on to Las Vegas.

The units that we were in had been recently refurbished, with new comfort beds and 3 flat screen plasma TVs. The bedrooms were large, each opening onto a patio. Both bathrooms were large and both had whirlpool tubs. The main kitchen had new appliances and was fully equipped to serve up to 8 guests. Although both units totalled 1,290 sq. ft., the design of the units seemed to sacrifice the space in the kitchen and living room for the extra large bedrooms. Having two people trying to prepare meals was tricky. Each facility had an apartment sized washer and dryer. Mid-week towels and bedding and a fresh-up of the units was provided.

We arrived at the Resort at 10:00pm. Registration was open and we were welcomed and taken care of by very friendly staff. Our units were ready and waiting for us. All of our interactions with staff were always cordial and friendly, be they front office, housekeeping and maintenance.

One thing that we really appreciated was the fact that we were NOT badgered by Sheraton personnel to partake in their “information” aka “sales pitch” sessions as has been the case in other timeshare resorts that we have stayed in. We also appreciated being asssigned tot he same units for two weks which meant that we did not have to pack up and move.

The Resort provided free Wi-Fi in the villa units. Free computers are available in the lobby but they seemed to be very slow. BBQ’s are provided in a number of common areas around the Resort rather than on each unit’s patio. This is a bit of an inconvenience, especially if your home unit it some distance from the communal BBQ’S. We would prefer to have had our own BBQ’s. We tend to take advantage of them in preparing our own meals when we stay in these types of Resorts. Parking near our unit seemed to be always available. The Resort is very compact and negotiating around it was easy.

The grounds are well maintained and groomed. Two pools exist. Towels are available at both pools. The large pool easily accommodated all those interested in taking advantage of the water and sunshine. The small, quiet pool probably would also be used to capacity during the hotter summer months. Although the Resort does not have a full restaurant on site, there is a “Splash Bar” which offers a variety of food services and drinks from 9:00am to 9:00pm. The wings are super. A good variety of beers, have the “Flat Tire” with your wings, smoothies and soft drinks are offered. A small convenience store does exist in the lobby offering a variety of food and personal items. Many activities are offered, both on and off site. We did not participate in any of these but we did notice that many other guests did. Good areas for long walks or jogging exist near the Resort. A small fitness center is available to Resort guests.

All-in-all a great place to stay and enjoy the Arizona Sun!

Room Tip: Avoid unit 1116. Adjacent to it is the laundry room which resulted in staff washing and drying at al...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank CanuckRedDeer_AB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My husband and I traded our Lake Tahoe Timeshare for a week at the Desert Oasis in Scottsdale. This is a very, very nice resort. Since we come for Spring Training baseball, we spend most of our time away from the resort but it seemed to have a lot of great activities, is in a wonderful area with lots of shopping and restaurants nearby and is, on the whole an outstanding resort. I was impressed with the nice landscaping, nice employees, very clean, rooms and grounds, pretty pool and lobby. Great BBQ areas. The response time by housekeeping staff when we needed coffee and toilet paper was lightning fast. The washer and dryer did a good job and were pretty quiet. Loved the little doggie on the bed and the TV's in both living room and bedroom. I had one of the smaller units and it was a little cramped in the kitchen area for 2 people as was the queen bed. The kitchen needs some more microwave containers with lids for cooking. The spa tub/shower in these units is very hard for us seniors to get in and out of. I would definately be sure to book a larger unit next time. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY APPRECIATE THAT WE WERE ALLOWED TO SMOKE ON THE PATIO. (Most places treat smokers like aliens from another planet). We were given a 3rd floor room and you have elevators which is great. I only had 3 problems. #1 - THE PARKING is really bad, especially if you come in late at night. You might have to park a block from your room. #2 I left my I phone charger plugged into the wall when I checked out of the room and although I called and tried to retrieve it, the cord was apparently never found because I didn't get a call back. #3 There is NO storage in the small unit. No place to put your luggage after it is empty or your food (all the kitchen cabinets have dishes in them) or your clothes (one drawer and a small area to hang up things). All in all - no one's perfect but I would stay here again. NICE RESORT - NICE LOCATION

Room Tip: Call ahead and request a 3rd floor room if you are a smoker. The larger, full kitchen units, are th...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JerrieLReese
Pismo Beach, California
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We were here for 6 nights the first week of March, for the Nascar race in Phoenix (Avondale) AZ, and Spring Training games at Scottsdale Stadium. The suite was fully furnished, full kitchen, washer/dryer, separate bedroom with 2 person jaccuzi tub, and large TV, and fireplace, big bathroom with double sinks. Cozy family room with large flat screen TV, dvd player, Bose stereo, fireplace, queen size sofa sleeper. Dining area, kitchen has all the emenities, including a bar height counter with stools. Private patio with chairs, kind of a small patio, but it faced right into the setting sun, and neighboring apartments, so we didn't really care to spend a lot of time out there. Not a view of anything (a little disappointing). There were lots of daily events that the resort had, unfortunately we were so busy with our own schedule, that we could not participate in any of their activities. Next time we will plan ahead so we can join in. The pool and spa area looked beautiful. Had lovely landscaping and waterfalls. The staff at the front desk was very helpful and friendly, and house keepers kept our room spotless and always stocked with whatever we had even touched. I think really the only downside for us was, not having a view other than of the parking lot and apartment complex next door. But since the property is also a Timeshare, those are probably held for owners first I would guess. We never could seem to get a parking spot close to our condo, it was quite full. It would have been nice if there were a restaurant on the property for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You had to drive a ways to go out to eat, nothing was within walking distance. Other than that, it was a beautiful property, and hope to be able to get as good of a deal as we got this time, so we can stay there again! Thank you to Manager, Ryan, and his staff for making our stay restful and enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank KerryLK
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed here for a week two years ago, and a week this year. We noticed a change in upkeep of the property, the rooms are sorely in need of new carpeting, beds, etc.
It was enjoayable, but less so than before.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Subielover
SDOGM, Front Office Supervisor at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We value any and all feedback we receive from our guests. On behalf of everyone here at the Sheraton Desert Oasis, I apologize that you did not find your most recent stay as enjoyable as the last. We strive to maintain a high level of quality for all of our guest rooms and we apologize if we did not live up to your expectations. We are pleased to announce that our property will undergo a total remodel and renovation next year. We look forward to hosting your vacation again in the future and hope you are able to enjoy everything our property has to offer. Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I found a good deal here and travelled with my wife and two kids under 5 years old. Upon check-in, I was told our villa wasn't ready, but they would call me on the phone when it was. I waited an hour and a half and came back to the resort to check again. The employee who was supposed to call me left for the day and my resort had been ready for some time...a little dissapointing after a long day of traveling. On a good note, they accomodated my request for a first floor villa close to the park.

Pros:

Resort is very well kept and feels very inviting. Staff was friendly and there appeared to be plenty of activities to keep us busy. I was very impressed with how often they took out the garbage and was also impressed with the little things, like how they kept the public grills so clean. The premium villa was good sized for a family of 4 but I'm not sure if the basic villa would have been. The shower was the kids' favorite because it has two shower heads with good water pressure. The kitchen was great which allowed us to save a lot of money because we ate a lot of meals there. The pool was great and my kids loved it becuase it doesn't get very deep. The appliances and televisions were in great shape and appeared brand new. Playground for the kids kept them busy for hours and was in good shape. Lastly, any time we needed paper towels or kleenex, we had it delivered within 10 mintues which was much appreciated.

Cons:

After reading other reviews, my kids were looking forward to the splash pad. I noticed it wasn't working so I asked the front desk employee when it would be working and he told me it should be working. I checked the next day...still not working. Again asked the front desk and he didn't know why. It didn't work the full 8 days we were there and I was finally told they were waiting for a part. Housekeeping came one day for a towel exchange. We were never told when they would be coming. As I stated earlier, we were never told to come back to the villa to check in when we arrived. My point is that there seems to be a big gap in communication between employees and this is an area of improvement for them.

The only other con, but not a huge deal, was the sound proofing. We could hear every single footstep in the villa above us. I understand these can't be sound proof, but unfortunately it kept us up late many of the nights (well past midnight).

Overall:

I would definately stay here again. It's in a great area of Scottsdale and it was a nice resort.

Room Tip: the upgrade to premimum villa seems to be well worth the $$$$
Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank dwills0777
SDOGM, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Greetings!

Thank you for taking some time to write such a detailed review!

We do our best to provide a flawless vacation for our guests and now we know that we have some areas of communication that need to be examined. Communication is everything in this industry as we cannot provide exceptional service without communication as it makes it difficult to anticipate our guests needs.

We have taken some action in the communication efforts and thanks to your feedback, hope it will prevent similar experiences to the one that you have shared.

We are pleased that is sounds like you were able to make the best of our other amenities and your family was able to play and relax throughout your stay. We do hope that you’ll return in the future and your kids will be able to enjoy a fully functional Splash Pad.

Thank you for your feedback and please know we take the need for improvement seriously, we couldn’t do so without your help.

Travel Safe and we hope to see you again soon!
Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My parents and I spent a week at the resort and had a wonderful time. The staff is very helpful and very polite. They had quite a few things going on each and every day within the resort. I found the resort was filled with mostly older people not many families. This might have been because of the time of the year we went?? Because of this we found it to be very quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Familyfunn2
We are so pleased that you were able to enjoy some peace and quiet. while you were with us! We do get a variety of guests that stay here, but you are absolutely correct that in January and February we don't get too many families as children are usually in school. We also have huge local events this time of year (eg: Phoenix Open Golf Tournament, Arabian Horse Show & Barrett Jackson Auction) that influences the type of guest that we cater to this time of year. We hope that you will visit us again soon and we look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for sharing!
California
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Most accommodating staff who assisted our special needs with elderly in wheelchair. Lovely grounds, nicely decorated, especially liked the separate 1 bedroom for family members. They need a restaurant and more choices for eating during the day. Pool was lovely. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Request near the pool. Request ground floor if handicapped. No elevators.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Forevermemories
Hello and thank you for posting about your experience! We do love to hear what our guests enjoy and where we need improvement. It sounds like you were able to relax and enjoy the beautiful oasis we try to provide each of our guests. We agree that it would be lovely to add a full service restaurant to add to our experience, but currently we do not possess the space to do so. Our Food and Beverage manager does a great job of changing menu items seasonally to add variety to guests choices. There are also a wide variety of choices in the surrounding area that can meet any particular craving a guest is looking to fill. We hope to see you and your family again soon. Thank you again for sharing!