“relaxing”

Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 November 2013

through our RCI timeshare we stayed 5 nights here and enjoyed it.The units were recently renovated and were very, very nice. There was no restaurant on the premise and you had to drive a distance to the closest one. The pool was lovely and the staff were very accommodating.

Room Tip: recommended
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank o4fun
SDOManager, Manager at Sheraton Desert Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear o4fun,

Thank you for your nice comments in regards to your recent stay with us! They are much appreciated! We hope the fact that besides our poolside grille, we do not have a restaurant on property did not inconvenience you too badly.

Please come see us again sometime!

The Sheraton Desert Oasis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,016)

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Let me start out by saying this is a really nice place. But based on the reviews I read here prior to booking my trip, it fell flat.

Have any of you people ever been to a hotel before? Or are all the reviews fake?

I mean, it's a nice hotel and all but it's no five star resort and I certainly did not experience any service that was above and beyond.

That being said, it was a really enjoyable stay and overall a great experience. I had the pleasure of staying in one of the newly renovated rooms and they did a nice job with it. The room (1 bedroom villa) was very spacious and clean. The jacuzzi in the bedroom was a real pleasant surprise. The only complaint I have with the room is the shower. Not sure why they picked the shower floor they put in, but it already seemed dated and showed the dirt in certain areas.

For those complaining about being harassed about the time-share - I did not experience this at all. Yes, they left a message about a "free gift" awaiting me at the front desk. But that was really it. No phone calls, no one mentioned anything to me in person. Nothing else.

The grounds are nice and will be stunning once completed, but it is still under construction. I LOVED that the hotel gave me a warning about this before I booked my room and they were very detailed about when and where the construction would be. That was much appreciated and a class move.

I will say that the signage on the property should be updated. It's not even clear where to register because the first building you see is the "clubhouse." That is where you check in but there are no signs saying registration or anything like that. And when you get to the parking lot near your rooms, there are very few signs telling you where and how to get to your room. I had to walk all the way around and ask someone by the pool to help me. (she did, graciously).

Another minor complaint is the television. While they are new and modern, the time it takes to change the channel is ridiculous (meaning while channel surfing. It takes a few seconds each time you change the channel for the picture to show up). Not sure how to fix this really, other than replacing the t.v.'s.

So overall, a very pleasant trip, with standard service. Nice hotel? Yes. Unbelievable, amazing, unexpected? Sorry, but no.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room BEFORE you arrive.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank greyat15

Dear greyat15,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such extensive feedback on your recent stay with us. We always appreciate input from our guests.
We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, even if there were a few things (e.g. better signage) that could have improved your stay.

We do hope you will visit us again sometime!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I knew it was a nice resort because I researched it but it was more than I expected. The grounds, bridges, fountains, landscape, pools, waterfalls, hot tub, covered playground, aquarium, lobby, gas BBQ with large picnic table, the staff and our newly remodeled one bedroom Villa with king bed, beautiful linens, living room with nice comfortable furniture, sleeper sofa, dining area and modern kitchen with all supplies, great lighing and balcony exceeded my expectations! Our oldest Grandson was able to sleep overnight and the little ones had a great time at the pools, hot tub and playground. The family had a BBQ party on the picnic table, the hotel had a pool party for the guests that the kids loved. We all had a great time and I highly reccomend it for adults and children. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: We liked being a couple of doors from the elevator. They have a full size fridge so we bought food a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Worldventurer13

Dear Worldventurer13,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us- and such a glowing one at that! We couldn't be happier that you and the grandkids had such a great time here! We especially loved hearing how much you enjoyed the pool party as we try to make this an event the whole family can enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing you again sometime!

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

My third or fourth visit at the SDO over the past 8 years or so. I purchased a unit a couple years ago and it has been fantastic! This was a boys golf and sports trip (Cards v Seahawks and Coyotes v Sens) Stayed in freshly Reno' d 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom lock off with 2 kitchens a hot tub, 2 patios, 4 flat screens, two laundry rooms, fully equipped in new top quality furnishings and equipment. Cabinets, bathrooms, kitchens all beautifully remodelled in high quality materials including granite. Carpets in great shape too. 3 or 4 fireplaces, in the unit as well and good quality BBQs right outside our unit which we made good use of. These units are immaculate in everyway and very clean. Beds and linens are as good as it gets. Pools are fantastic as is the grotto hot tub. Poolside snack shack has great food and margaritas at reasonable prices and very friendly and efficient staff. Shrimp Tacos were fantastic. Staff at front desk and concierge were excellent! Kudos to Jacqueline who set us up with some great tee times at some great golf courses! Love this place and already looking forward to returning in March for spring training with the family.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear morninwood,

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback on your recent stay with us.
We loved reading all your great comments about our property and staff, and we are happy that you and the rest of the guys enjoyed your time here!

We look forward to seeing you back in the spring!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is an every year, solo Birthday Vacation for me. My first time staying at this Sheraton location. It's very important to me to feel safe and for my environment to be clean and maintained. I WILL BE BACK!! I give this hotel an overall Excellent review. From the moment I walked into the lobby until I checked out. The entire staff was wonderful. They were kind and attentive. Which gives the feeling of not being alone. My Villa was absolutely AMAZING!! From the full equipped kitchen to the extra large Bed Room with a King sized bed and an extra Large Hot Tub right beside it. What more could I ask for?? Not to mention the two beautiful Fire places, one in the Living Room and the other one in the Bed room. I had the pleasure of sitting on my comfortable balcony and watching the sunrise every morning. And it over looked the pool. This trip was extra special, because, I plan on moving to AZ next year, when I retire. I am especially grateful to Ms. Sarah Jackson who works at the front desk. She provided me with so much information and knowledge through her experience of living there for so many years. And shared her spare time to show me the Valley. She truly was a Blessing.

I Sincerely thank the entire Management and Staff of, The Sheraton Dessert Oasis, for helping me have another Wonderful Birthday Vacation, and providing me with an AMAZING WAY TO STAY!!

Nina Wilson

Room Tip: I stayed on the top level facing the sun rise. SPECTACULAR!! I can't think of a better way to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nina W

Dear Nina W.,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review about our property. We couldn't have said it any better ourselves :) All kidding aside, we are truly happy you chose to stay with us to celebrate your birthday and were able to forge a deeper connection with our front office associate, Sarah, who is a wonderful assett to the the team with her genuine care for our guests.

We hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We did a 3 night stay end of September in one of the newly renovated rooms which we found very comfortable.We were surprised that it had a full kitchen so we took a quick trip to Trader Joes and got a few things! The staff was very friendly and accomodating and the grounds are very nice and the pool was just perfect! The waterfall, music and a glass of wine....wonderful!
I actually was truly amazed that a place so nice was that reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Maureen W.,

What a lovely review! Thank you so much for you kind words about our property and staff! We were happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us to the fullest.

Please come see us again sometime soon!

Michelle

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Sheraton Desert Oasis and it was basically exactly what we were expecting, nothing outstanding, nothing terrible. I read a few reviews before we left and saw that they were under renovations, unfortunately we weren't able to stay in a newer room. When we checked in we asked if there were any newer units available and the response was "no, sorry, those are for our preferred guests." Talk about being made to feel unwelcome right off the bat, especially since this was a trip for our anniversary! Oh well, we're pretty easygoing people so that was easy enough to shrug off.

Check in was quick easy but the one thing we noticed was that we didn't get any help offered for our luggage so we ending up having to bring everything up ourselves. There was an elevator, thank goodness, but not sign posted well at all so we almost didn't see it. I would have been more upset if we had to lug 4 suitcases up 2 flights of stairs! We ended up in rm 3077, sort of away from everything, but the resort is easy to get around so it wasn't a huge deal for us. The room itself was fine, decor was pretty dated but nothing to really complain about. Ours came with what was referred to as a partial kitchen, which I'm assuming just means that it's smaller than the full kitchen suites because we had absolutely everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - that we needed in there, it was basically like being at home.

As well with reading the reviews, we didn't bother with the welcome package they wanted to 'treat' us to. We already own a timeshare and this was an exchange vacation for us so we were definitely not looking to purchase another one. They only called our room once the day after we arrived to ask us when we wanted to come and pick it up, I told them that we weren't interested and that was the last we heard about it.

The pool was fine, we only visited it once, mostly because we weren't crazy about the no snacks or outside beverages allowed rule. I'm really not sure why that rule is in place... If it has do with people inconsiderately leaving garbage lying around, I'm sure that if someone was rude enough to do that to begin with that they're going to do the same thing whether or not they purchase their things poolside or not.

All in all, the stay was fine, again nothing spectacular but exactly what we had expected. We would most likely return, but will probably wait until the entire place has undergone it's renovation so as not to be singled out from the "preferred" guests and be able to enjoy one of the updated suites.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dsm09

Dear dsm09,

Thank you for your detailed feedback on your recent stay with us. We always apprecite hearing from our guests.
As a property that prides itself on striving to make each and every single guest feel special, we were truly sorry to hear that this was not the case in your case, especially celebrating a special occasion like yours (happy belated anniversary by the way!). It is true that as long as we don't have all units remodeled we try to accomodate the people that own a timeshare at this property first, but this certainly could and should have been communicated in a way that wouldn't have made you guys feel like "second class guests". Please know that we absolutely value every guest!

We do hope that you will visit us again sometime in the future, and we look forward to the opportunity to exceed your expecations next time around.