“Great energy and fun”

Ranked #47 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Tucson, Arizona
“Great energy and fun”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

What a perfect location for a "girls" weekend. Everything from the front drive, lobby, pools, restaurants and staff says "fun" The energy was contagious from every staff member, even the housekeepers made eye contact, smiled and gave some kind of greeting. The Fitness Center was described by one of the girls as "the best hotel workout room" she has seen. We were all amazed at the pleasant temperature around the entire hotel. Misters and lots of mature growth create a microclimate that must be 10 degrees cooler than the rest of Scottsdale. A mermaid in the pool and a synchronized swimmer added fun entertainment for the late afternoon & happy hour. We enjoyed a private Cabana at poolside for our second day, Tennis and Soccer on the TV, a comfy couch, and misters surrounding the bright yellow shade cloth made for a perfect poolside venue. The Cabana is the way to go for sure. Music was a little loud at the pool, but we were not there to nap, so it worked. We didn't use the bicycles or golf cart tour/taxis but they are both on our list for our next getaway. We'll be back
PS: Bathroom amenites were very nice. Lavender lotion was heavenly

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Patricia H
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Dear Patricia H,

It was so great to read about your recent stay with us, and how you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel. The pool is certainly a great place to relax and unwind, and keep cool with the misters and cabanas. It was also nice to hear that you were able to have some fun and enjoy our restaurants and cuisine while you were here - Chef Garces food is fantastic!

Thanks again for your comments, and make sure to tell all your friends about the Saguaro.

Come back soon...

Alan Klein

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Earlier this year I stayed at the Saguaro Hotel for a business/leisure trip. I had stayed at the property before the new mangement company came in and was dissapointed so I was curious to see how the hotel had changed. Upon check in I was charmed by the valet staff as well as the front desk who were very friendly. While checking in the front desk asked if I ahd anything special I wanted to do while in town and I mentioned being interested in a yoga class. By the time I made it to my room I received a call from the Asst Mgr with recommendations for nearby yoga studios! I was really impressed by the extra attention shown by the staff. I was delighted to see that there is COLOR in the lobby, on the building in the rooms. The new design is thoughtful and fun. The mini bar offered different water types, there was a bulleting board posting fun local events, and there was an ipad docking station - thank you Saguaro from saving me after I forgot my charger! The gym was great, parking was easy, location couldn't be beat, and the bar/restaurant was fantastic. I would absolutely reccomend the Saguaro for someone looking for a fun place to stay in downtown Scottsdale.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CAWeekender29
Dear CAWeekender29,

Thanks for giving us a try after your last visit, and I was pleased to read how you enjoyed all that we had to offer on this recent trip. Joie de Vivre and our owners have really worked hard to create a special place here in Scottsdale, and it sounds as if you truly enjoyed our vision on this stay with us.

We hope you'll pass on these great comments to other friends and families, and share your great experience about the Saguaro.

Come back again soon!

Irvine, California
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I have been frequenting this hotel since it was a Mondrian. Things fell apart at the end there, but I still had love for this property. It was such a pleasant surprise to check into the newly renovated, Joie de Vivre version this week. They brought in some Mexican heritage and brightened up the stark white from the Mondrian days with festive, fun and bright colors. This property definitely had the right "bones" to improve upon and The Saguaro has hit the mark. The beds are so comfortable, I was sad that this was a business trip because I would have enjoyed sleeping in a bit longer. The staff is extremely friendly and I like the new features like free wifi and breakfast from Distrito, headed up by Iron Chef Jose Garces. I will keep coming back!

Room Tip: Make sure you stop by the pools, they are gorgeous. Take a walk over to Old Town for some unique sho...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Courtney C
Dear Courtney C,

Thanks for coming back to see us. It was great to hear how much you enjoyed our bright colors and great beds on your recent stay with us. We would love for you to stay with us on a little R&R next time so that you can give our Saguaro Spa or pools a try.

Thanks again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

From the valet welcome when I first arrived I knew that this property was going to work out just fine - the check-in experience was informative - the sleeping room was modern, fresh, trendy, and just comfortable. enjoyed two Iron Chef restaurants during my stay. I'd Recommended this property to the leisure, business, and group traveler…from hello to goodbye - first class and worth the money!

Room Tip: King pool side was awesome!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Hotelville
Dear Hotelville,

Thanks for your great recommendation and feedback from your stay with us. It was great to hear how you had positive interactions with our team as well as fantastic meals from Iron Chef Jose Garces - his food is an amazing treat!

We're so glad you stayed with us, and we hope you can come back again soon.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Saguaro this week and I must say it was a different experience but fantastic. The hotel is very retro and the rooms seem dated (especially the bathroom) but with charm and purpose. The beds are incredible and the rooms have all the amenities you need including bar fridge, safe, large HD TV, etc, etc. The bathroom sort of reminded me of one of my first apartments in the 80's but that was the point. Very clean and very comfortable.

The best feature of this hotel is the pool(s) area. Just great and well decorated with the large main pool being perfect for laps (or nursing a leg injury in my case). The desert landscaping with the palm trees is so well done. There is a walk up bar open all day with the pool servers doing the rounds and the prices are very reasonable.

The hotel includes a very tasty buffet breakfast that was just perfect. The service and demeanor of the hotel staff was outstanding. You can tell that the staff really do enjoy working there. There is a free golf cart shuttle to anywhere you want to go in the Old Town area and they will come and pick you up too. This service apparently runs to 4am nightly and the drivers work for tips. The hotel is right in the middle of the action in Scottsdale so the location is perfect.

We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: See if you can request a room facing inward to the pool courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David J
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Dear David J,

Thanks for your great review about the Saguaro. Sounds like you were able to enjoy almost every aspect of the hotel, including the surrounding areas in Old Town Scottsdale - we definitely have the best location!

We thank you for your comments, and hope that you'll come back and see us again very soon.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This hotel was everything it said it was and more. The decor was adorable, funky, and fun. The staff were friendly, interesting, and helpful. The food was perfect and the pool was the best pool I have ever been to. The hotel is even better looking in person! We loved the atmosphere at the hotel so much that we struggled to even go out on the town. We lounged by the pool day and night. The cabanas were so romantic, and the fire pits really made the atmosphere perfect. I loved this hotel!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms have little out door areas for your pets.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary W
Dear Mary W,

It was so great to read how much you enjoyed our hotel. The cabanas are also one of my favorite places on the property - great to just hang out and chill. We're so glad you had a great stay!

We appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you again soon.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel; I had my dog with me and we got a first floor room with and enclosed outdoor area. VERY friendly staff, great food, bright and cheery. . . a pool, a spa and a fabulous location, what more can you want? Great restaurant options, and again, the location is awesome!

Room Tip: If you have a pet, ask for first floor!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank sscavender
Dear sscavender,

Thanks for your great feedback on our Dog Friendly hotel! Our team takes great pride in making sure that our four legged friends also have a great time when staying with us. It was also great to hear that you had great interactions with our team - I'll be sure to pass on your comments to them!

Again, thanks for staying with us, and we hope to see you back again soon!