“Cute hotel, great service, some issues”
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I stayed here for a night on a fantastic low rate that included breakfast. I was a solo leisure traveler, just wanted a night of R&R and pooltime after a hiking trip in northern AZ.

The bad - My room was not in great shape or very clean when I checked in. The bed linens were quite dirty, the shower dripped, the bathroom sink drain was slow, there were hairs from a prior guest on the bathroom floor and on the bedsheets (ew) and the doorjam was warped so that I had to shove my way into the room, each time.

The good - I only complained about the bedsheets and the front desk was highly apologetic and sent a housekeeper right away (late at night) to change all of the sheets, and they asked me again the next day if everything was okay.

I also asked for a late checkout and they happily gave me a generously late checkout time.

I took advantage of their SUPERCHEAP spa special - it was a 60 mins massage for $60, and my masseuse (Micky?) was very very very very good. She was excellent. Firm, knowledgeable, I felt amazing afterward - like, floating in air - and this was really a great deal, especially for a hotel spa.

The pool area is wonderful. I was a little nervous when they gave me a wristband at check-in -- meaning, the pool is open to the public on the weekends, they charge a cover, etc -- I didn't want to deal with a big loud douchey over-the-top pool party scene. But the vibe here on Sunday was actually quite perfect. The dj was very good, the volume was perfect, not too loud, the crowd was well-behaved, also not too loud, just a very relaxed atmosphere, I enjoyed it very much.

The breakfast is pretty basic, not a ton of choices, not the most gourmet buffet around, but a decent solid meal to start the day.

The color scheme, the whole look of the property, is very stylish. It's a very nice place. I probably could have been moved to a different room to solve the housekeeping issues but I just didn't feel like gathering all of my stuff and shlepping it, and so I didn't even mention most of the issues until I checked out. I'm still very satisfied with my stay.

I made these same comments in the hotel's own guest-follow-up survey and the manager wrote me back personally to apologize about the housekeeping issues, which I also appreciated.

This is really a great, cute, quirky boutique spot. I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank ilovestayinginhotels
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Dear Ilovestayinginhotels,

First of all....we LOVE your display name! How cool, as we love having you stay in our hotel!!

We were very upset to learn that we had sub-par sheets on your bed, and some other items in the bath and guestroom, but was glad that our staff acted quickly to rectify your situation. We also took the opportunity to do some further training of our staff, based on what happened with your guestroom.

It was great to hear about how we took a potentially bad situation and turned it around, so that you could have a great stay that you would recommend to others.

Thanks again for your honest feedback, and for allowing us to improve.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,

Reviewed 13 July 2012

JOY! Is the word my daughter used when we stayed at The Saguaro in Scottsdale—we affectionately nicknamed it the "rainbow hotel" since every gorgeous color of the rainbow splashes the walls and rooms of the hotel with a brilliance to bring a smile:) Their tag name "a Joie de Vivre Hotel" is perfect! (Sofia did not know that at the time she chose the word JOY.) I have never experienced such delightful and personalized customer service in any hotel in the world. They did bring JOY to our lives! Before we even arrived for our first stay, they went out at lunch and bought a special saint bracelet for my daughter's special occasion. I was stunned! I had no idea how they knew—I must have mentioned it at reservations and they took note and followed up with this personalized surprise and a handmade note by Adrianna at the front desk. Everyone knew us by name before we left and on my next visit I was greeted in the room by Carlos, Margarita, and rest of the lovely housekeeping staff who were making the cutest animals out of the towels to surprise me—an elephant and dog! They also checked that the room was the color PINK to go along with our little business. Amy at reservations made a point to tell me she would personally help us with any future reservation needs and Clint is always there with a cheery smile to look after our car which he remembered from before. I just love the place and feel so at home. We will certainly always stay there when we go to Phoenix. It will always be our first choice. Pam's smile was as bright as her shirt as she gave me a ticket for the wonderful breakfast brunch where I was graciously served by the nice man behind the bar. I can't wait to go visit in the winter to sit by their pink fireplace and light sparklers just as it shows on the magazine cover in the lobby! Everyone can always use a bit more JOY in their lives and this is certainly the place to find and enjoy it. Wish we could just move right in:) Thank you Saguaro and to all the staff I may not have mentioned... you really make it seem like finding gold at the end of the rainbow by adding your personal touch and warmth! (P.S. Great location around all the cool things that Scottsdale has to offer. We were just enjoying the hotel so much that we never got out to see them this trip. But they do have the cutest colorful bikes to ride for free for guests! Next time....)

Room Tip: Ask for your favorite color and you will be surrounded with that and a wonderful accent. I can't...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Relaxrefresh,

Thank you for spreading your "Joy" story about your recent visit with us. It's wonderful to hear when our guests truly enjoy every moment of their stay.

Thanks for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you on our bikes during your next visit with us!! Come back soon!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We got a great military deal for $80 duing the week, and our stay as better than expected. The entire staff was extremely helpful, friendly, and professional duing our stay. I expected the employees to be a little stuck up because it was a trendy hotel, but not the case. The pool was really nice, with plenty of chairs and an outdoor bar. Although we didn't use the gym, it had new equipment and was pretty large compared to other hotels. The room's decor was impressive and a good size overall. The hotel had a golf cart and driver who took us to any restaurant/bar we wanted, and we just had to tip him. The free breakfast was awesome! The eggs and homemade sausage were delicious, and they also had some fresh fruit available. Overall this was a great stay, and I'll definitely be spending more nights and days there.

Room Tip: I wouldn't spend the extra money for the pool-view rooms. The patios are surrounded by a fence...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jen G

Dear Jen G,

So glad you had a great visit with us, and enjoyed our down to earth and friendly staff. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed our pool area (with great DJ's) as well as the great food in Distrito and Old Town Whiskey.

Thanks for the great feedback, and we hope you'll come back soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Saguaro hotel is in a very convenient part of Scottsdale right next to Old Town. Easy to walk to restaurants and shopping. The pool is very lively with DJs playing music and a bar on site. The fitness room was smaller than I expected, but did the job nonetheless. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for some fun and in a great location.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear SantaBarbara2011,

Thanks for staying with us recently, and sharing your comments. It was great to read how you enjoyed our convenient location in the heart of Old Town....it does makes it quite easy to get around.

We'll definately share your great feedback with our team, and we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Great Location, walking distance to Old Town. Very nice valet guys. It is a older hotel and you can see it, even thought they did try qwirky add ons. If you want to see the action at the pool make sure you request to be in building #4 higher up, not in front bushes. This will allow for good people watching. lol. Pool view in building #3 will give you a view of the kiddie pool or where the large people lay. ( sorry its true ) I can say the AC did work very well which is a plus in 110 weather. Beds very comfy too !

Room Tip: Request building #4 pool view if you wanna see the action at the pool !
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Wayne M,

Thanks for the great review, and for the great tips for people watching!! We are a fun spot in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale, so we were glad to hear that you took advantage of our location to enhance your stay.

Come back again soon...we've got the AC cranking for you!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I live in Scottsdale so I really can't speak too much on the hotel itself, except to say it is beautiful, the staff fantastic and perfectly located in Old Town Scottsdale. What I want to review today is the Saguaro Spa. Living in Scottsdale I have enjoyed many of the spas in some of our most beautiful hotels and sometimes I find them intimidating. You may know what I mean, the front desk personnel look at you like a bug, they make you fill out a questionnaire that any FBI background checker would think is excessive, and during the entire procedure your visit is punctuated by sales, sales, sales. I can gladly report the Saguaro Spa has NONE of that! If your appointment is at 12:30, then that is when you show up. There is no request to come 20 minutes early to fill anything out. The spa lobby is a small intimate space that makes you feel welcome right when you walk in the door. The therapist will ask you a couple of questions pertaining any areas you have problems with and then you are left to undress at your leisure and get down to business. I had a 60 minute Swedish massage which lasted more like 80 minutes (and I was charged only the special rate which on that day was $60 for 60 minutes.) The room was clean, and pleasantly dark..there are no bright lights and there is pleasant music playing but not that Zen pinging music that I find so annoying. I cannot spell the young lady's name who took such good care of me and I don't want to offend her by misspelling, but she was fabulous! She took great care to ask me if I was comfortable and if the pressure she was using was alright. When it was over, I was left to dress, and she was waiting outside with a glass of cool water. Checking out was quick and to my great relief there was no sales pitch regarding any of the products used during my session!! I will be back and recommend highly to all my friends and family who come to visit!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Christine F
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I was there in town for a wedding. The location is very nice and the pool is quite nice. It is a very stylish cool place. The decor is quite interesting as well. It is an old hotel and you can tell they work hard to keep it in good shape which is not easy.

Housekeeping forgot us one day. Also the breakfast is a very good value and tasted good, BUT the replenishment was poor and it was not clean. Ran out of coffee, bread, eggs, messy buffet area, attitude from the staff when told about it.

Otherwise it was good.. Price is reasonable as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TropicalTraveler78

Dear TropicalTraveler78,

Thanks for your candid feedback on your recent stay with us. We were happy to hear how you enjoyed our hotel while you were in town for a special occasion. However, it was troublesome to hear that we skipped cleaning your room one day and that breakfast was a bit "understocked".

We appreciate you letting us know where we have fallen short, and have utilized this information to help train our team so that others do not have these same challenges.

Thanks again for staying with us, as well as giving us critical and valuable feedback.

We hope to see you again.