“Stay was fine, front desk service absolutely terrible”
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York City, New York
“Stay was fine, front desk service absolutely terrible”
Reviewed 6 November 2012 via mobile

The Saguaro looks like a converted apartment complex, done with white and neon colors throughout.

Check-in was somewhat difficult because they made this huge deal about the valet "finding your room" for you on a this printed map. The property is just not that big for anyone to have difficulty or need a map.

I went straight to the spa for a massage after check-in, and it was a very small, low-budget operation. The spa was freezing, and, according to my therapist, always this way. In fact, upon my arrival, my therapist was standing outside in the sun to warm up with her arms crossed, shivering. Obviously this is inappropriate for a spa. Why don't the spa employees just turn the air off? Upon my request, she did, and the temperature became more normal. Odd music was played during my treatment over the spa's system, and there was is no separate reception area/waiting room at the spa, so you can hear all of that during your treatment too. To top it off, I asked they charge my personal card for the treatment (was traveling for work), handed them the card, and signed the bill. When I got my hotel bill, it had been put on the room... Annoying. See more about billing, below.

The room was fine, but mine had a ton of street noise. If you're sensitive to that, request a room on the other side of the hotel, as all rooms seemed to have an exterior window.

I got room service from Distrito, and it was great. It took me 3 phone calls to in-room dining to get a hold of someone, but, still great food.

The gym was another highlight of my stay. It was large and clean with lots of modern equipment. It had floor to ceiling windows leading out to the pool, which provided a lot of light. Certainly one of the better hotel gyms I've been to lately...

The worst part of my experience was the front desk interaction, particularly regarding billing. I had to leave in a hurry for an event the morning I checked out, so I had to wait until I got home to review the bill thoroughly. It has taken 3 weeks and 4 calls, and 2 emails to them, and they still haven't gotten my bill right. I prepaid (in their terms "deposited") for the room, and the amount on the bill that they charged me was NOT the amount they originally quoted me, so check your bill!!! They have kids, not hotel professionals, manning the front desk who have no idea what they're doing and have no authority to change billing errors. They whole back and forth has been so frustrating that I would never stay there again. It was the worst billing/front desk interaction I've ever had at a hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank Worktravelgal
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear Worktravelgal,

Thanks for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Saguaro.

Please accept our apologies for a less than succesful interaction and billing process with our Front Desk team. I have reviewed your comments with the team and used them as a training scenario, so that future guests will not encounted the same challenges.

I hope you'll give us another try in the future, as I'm certain this interaction and your challenges will not be repeated.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Alan Klein

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Hotel is Ok but we were quoted $119 on the phone and they would give us a $50 credit to our credit card for gas. Seemed to be good to be true ...it was The problem was the $119 rate was the already credited rate. Even that would have been fine except they also charged us $50 in resort fees. Our cheap layover near the airport ended up to be $180+. Very misleading I would say dishonest.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank MissingCanada
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Dear MissingCanada,

We are so sorry to hear about the confusion with our Gas Credit promo offer. We are very careful to ensure that our team clearly explains all our offers as well as our nightly $19.00 Resort fee, and I was dissapointed that we didn't get it right in this instance.

Next time you are headed to Scottsdale, please let us know, we'll be sure to make it right!!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I've recently started coming to Scottsdale for business and I found this little gem of a hotel on my company's preferred travel list. From the initial reception at check-in thru my departure, I was impressed with this hotel. My only suggestion would be to ask for a room away from Camelback road as there were a few noisy buses passing by pretty early in the morning. The pool has underwater speakers which were a cool feature and the loaner bikes gave me an excuse to pedal around the old Scottsdale scene. Going to come back here for our spring training baseball trip.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank jjfernan
Dear JJfernan,

Thanks for the great review. We were so glad that you had a great experience with us, and that you were able to enjoy Old Town on our Saguaro bikes.

See you in March for some baseball!!

Reviewed 4 November 2012

The hotel was nice and very stylish but out suites that had a beautiful view of the pool were so loud with bass for the DJ we could not have a conversation in our room. The staff was not helpful and only told us we should have requested rooms at the calm pool. Not great when we were paying $250 a night. The hotel also hosted a private party on Friday of our stay and as guests we were not allowed access to the hot tub . 2nd night if the stay they give you smaller toiletries!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Travelwithkidd
Dear Travelwithkidd,

Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us. While we do have music at the Picante pool on a daily basis and a DJ on select weekends, I was dismayed to hear that the volume was not at our standard level. We have addressed this with our DJ as well as put controls in place to limit the sound - thank you for bringing this to our attention.

And, as you mentioned, for those who want little to no music, one of the great things about this property is that we have other rooms located around our second pool - the Calma Pool - that is much more serene. Please let us know next time you are headed our way, and we can block you for a suite in this area of the hotel.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

The Saguaro is located right in the old town, so you really can walk everywhere. The bar is fun, with good music. They don't mention the resort fee at all and, believe it it or not, it is more expensive on Hotwire than direct if they are running a deal. Distrito restaurant is very well rated and does their room service.

Gym is actually quite good, but the "valet" usually just shows you a map and you park yourself

• Stayed November 2012
Dear N1120A,

Thanks for your comments and feedback from your stay with us. It was great to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and great location. We do always encourage guests to book directly with us, as we do guarantee the best rates to be on our website.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you back here soon!

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Located right in Scottsdale so within 2 mins walking distance to all the nice bars and restaurants. The hotel setting is nice, rooms big and modernly decorated. However, our toilet blocked on the 1st night and wasn't rectified until the next morning, by which we had to move rooms as someone had shoved something down the toilet. Not the hotel's fault but we were given any alternative at the time until we asked so we had to go without the toilet overnight. WI-FI was also down for half the time we were there. Pool menu is rather pricey but to be expected. We got this place on a late deal (the night before) for $84 p/night for 3 nights so can't complain too much. Also, the bedroom doors are paper thin! Do not expect to sleep in!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear landyuk1,

Thanks for staying with us recently and sharing your comments. I want to apologize for the toilet and Wi-Fi issues that you had during your visit, certainly not the norm or what we expect for any of our guests. We are definitely a more fun hotel in the heart of Scottsdale, which does lead to a bit of noise on occasion, but have asked our security to be more vigilant in keeping the noise down in the hallways.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Saguaro! We hope to see you again soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I had the pleasure of staying one night at the Saguaro Hotel in Scottsdale recently. The hotel was immaculately clean, the staff friendly and helpful and the overall atmosphere of the property was warm, welcoming and enjoyable. The rooms are quirky and well-maintained. The location was quiet and peaceful. The staff went out of their way to ensure a pleasant experience. What I liked best was that the hotel was pet friendly and welcomed our four-legged friend. I would happily recommend Saguaro as a refreshing change of pace from the 'box' hotels and you can rest assured you'll be well taken care of.

Room Tip: Request the pool view rooms!