“Mistake”
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #47 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Usually I am very vigilant in heeding the advice of fellow tripadvisor members. This time I failed myself by ignoring the negative reviews. Although this place has an interesting vibe, I would never stay here again. It is basically a motel. We had a particularly bad experience because we had the most obnoxiously loud neighbours, which really isn't the hotel's fault. However, the washrooms are tiny and run down looking. The sheets were not at all comfortable. The TV is quite large and nice, but really that can't save the room. We went for breakfast at the restaurant, substandard. In sum, I tried to save a few bucks booking this room for 1 night at the end of our trip. Now I know why I got such a good deal. It's just not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank vancity9

Reviewed 5 January 2013

This is an old hotel/motel that has been redone with fun colors, trendy furnishings. It has a great location, as it is right in old Scottsdale. However, they missed a lot of the details.....the bathrooms were not redone, and the shower head and shower controls are extremely dated and rusted out. Furthermore, we NEVER had hot water, lukewarm at best. We were traveling with other people, and we checked with them as well, and same situation (no hot water, rusted out faucets from the 70's). Also, we were here for the BCS bowl game. When we returned from the game, NOTHING was open - not their bar, not room service, etc. They had hoardes of people in the lobby and only one staff member. The next day, at the pool, I counted over 25 people at the pool, and the bar was not open. You had to walk Across a parking lot to get a drink. When what we saw was a waiter, we asked him if we could order a coke for my son, he told him he really wasn't serving and he needed to follow him across the street to get it. Again, they know based on occupancy rates how many people will be at the hotel - they need to staff appropriately. Could be great if they could get the important details worked out.

Room Tip: Ask for hot water!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank susan_b_healy
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

I am actually here now, been here since this past Wed night. I had two rooms booked by my company in error. Called to cancel one of the two and was advised to take pool facing room with patio not the suite. Took that advice. For an 8 night stay on business I find the room small. It also has a very musty almost mold like order. I keep opening the slider in hope of getting the smell out. Service at check in from Mike was excellent! Front desk too. As a frequent business traveler I ALWAYS tip the housekeeper 2 per day yet had to ask for extra hangers 3 times. Only got them when I ran into the turndown crew, who were great. Dirty pillowcase which looked to have been used as a rag or something was left in my room. Coffee, shampoo and other essentials not replaced daily. Garbage was not emptied first day of housekeeping. Ice bucket not emptied either. Room service hours and menu sorely lacking. 7am for a business person during the week is too late and 10pm too early. When ordered ro service tonight after incredibly long workday was asking for vegetables which are not on the room service menu. Had a great server, listed what was on the "regular" dinner menu and brought it to me. I didn't have noise issue with my heater but the noise of one of my neighbors units is keeping me up right now! As a Joy of Life member I really expect better. It's not that any one thing is horrible, it's just that when I travel I expect my needs to be anticipated and the room execution for daily service to be flawless. Love the flat screen, tv channel options and close parking but honestly that's about all I can say to recommend. And the gym. It's pretty good and open 24 hours. I am planning on a spa treatment while here. We'll see how that goes. There goes my neighbors air conditioner/heater again....guess I won't be sleeping tonight at all. Sorry Saguaro I really wanted to love this place!

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank slgiberson
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Unique, fun, and trendy are the words that come to mind for this. The pictures are true to the space, little thoughtful touches like fireplaces at the pool and other random locations meant the hotel was playfully romantic and hip. The staff were all extremely friendly and accommodating, from the cleaning maids and lawn keepers to the front desk and bartenders. I had requested a 2nd floor not knowing that the patios are only on the ground floor, called the front desk and got switched to one with a patio. One of the beds was a bit squeaky and if there were more party people around I imagine it sounds good be heard across the hall but, all in all a great friends or young couple get-away! Next time I would definitely want to spend more time on hotel property, since we only had time for the hot tub and bar once. We came because of a buy 2 get one night free deal and that made it totally worth it.

Room Tip: Calma pool is apparently quieter, 2nd floor doesn't have a patio
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2013

Dear LAinDC2012,

Thanks for your great feedback during your most recent visit to Scottsdale, It was great to hear how you enjoyed our property and outstanding guest service - I'll be sure to pass on your comments to our team! Also, I noted how you had a squeaky bed, and have asked our maintenance team to ensure that this is corrected immediately.

Again, thanks for staying with us, and we hope to see you back again soon!!

Regards,

Reviewed 24 December 2012 via mobile

The beds are extremely loud and squeaky, the walls are so thin that you can hear every single thing the people staying next door are saying (and given that its located near the nightlife, the people next door were very loud and had their tv on full blast at 1:30am onwards). Also the rooms are dark, the washroom door doesn't close all the way, and you can definitely hear plenty of traffic noise. If you're looking to get some sleep, good luck!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Vancouverite21
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2012

Dear Vancouverite 21,

I was so dissapointed to hear your comments from your recent visit with us. While it is true that we are located close to the nightlife in Old Town Scottsdale (one of the many great things about our location) it was upsetting to learn how this might have impacted your stay with us. We do employ evening and overnight security to assist us with any noise issues, and I apologize if we were unable to keep the noise at a low enough level during your visit with us.

We have many different room locations to choose from on property, and hope that you will give us another chance (where we can place you in a more quiet location) during your next trip to Scottsdale.

Thanks again for sharing your comments,

Best,

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Phoenix it's not exactly on my normal route when in USA.
But in several trips I never attended a sport event, and appreciating football I realized Phoenix and the Cardinals would have been the best choice for me.
I've been lucky enough to catch a 72 hour offer, something like "back at school sale", so I've been able to book a 1 bdrm suite at 150$ or so.
The hotel is nice, bright colours, what seemed to me resembling a mexican style.
Finding the hotel has been fairly easy, and the location is without any doubt very interesting, a few steps away old Scottsdale.
Staff is courteous and attemptive, and the room was really nice, well appointed and large.
2 flat tv's, large bathroom, safe, minibar, nice decor.
I'd love to give a 5 star, but some issues prevent me from that:

- property is divided in different blocks, so finding your room is not so easy. This could not be an issue, but elevators are soooo far from my room that I ended using the stairs up and down (with bags, too) to avoid a long walk.

- a couple of days after check-out I found another charge for a water from minibar (in the 6-8$ range). Obviously, I've never used the minibar (that price for a small bottle of water is what I call outrageous). I'm not used to involve myself in a phone fight for some bucks and I didn't, but maybe they should forfait a similar charge more than charging someone who never took anything from the minibar

- most important, a/c unit was really old style, a single monster unit below windows so noisy you're condemned not to sleep. Your only choice is between don't doing it due to airplane like noise or due to drowning in your sweat in the Phoenix 100 degrees.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank fabry73

Dear Fabry73,

Thanks for the feedback from your recent visit with us. I was dissapointed to learn that we did not provide an outstanding visit and that you had a few issues from your stay with us.
I offer my sincere apologies for these challenges during your recent visit, but hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Thanks again for sharing your comments, and we hope you'll be back again soon.

Best,

Reviewed 29 November 2012

This is a very colorful hotel, and a site for sore eyes. The grounds are beautiful, and the restaurant and bar are top notch. The rooms are OK, as the beds are very squeeky, noisy, and the nights are sleepless. The noise level at night is outrageous, as people are slamming doors all night, arguing and talking in the hallways. The walls are paper thin as this is an older hotel/motel that has been renovated. Other than the "sleepless" nights, the hotel is great, but if you value your sleep, then try somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Elpsc

Dear Elptuc,

Thanks for the great feedback from your recent visit with us. It was great to hear how you liked our colorful property and our grounds and restaurants. I was however, dissapointed to hear about your squeaky bed and that you had other noise issues during your stay. I have asked our Engineering team to look at and repair the noisy bed frame and have discussed with our Security team the need to stay on top of our "louder" guests. We strive to provide a great guest experience and am sorry that we missed the mark on this stay with us.

Again, my apologies for your challenges during your recent visit, but hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Thanks again for sharing your comments.

Best Regards,