“Good, not great”
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #44 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I stayed 4 nights April 1 through 5, 2013. I go to Phoenix/Scottsdale at least once a year from California looking for sunshine, warmth, and a good pool to read a book by. There are two excellent pools at The Saguaro, one with poolside service (where I spent most of my time) and another smaller pool with a waterfall, so you can choose your poolside environment. The hotel is adjacent to Old Scottsdale, so if you like to shop, The Saguaro is the place to stay. An added benefit to the location is all the restaurants within walking distance. The Distrito Restaurant at the hotel has a nice atmosphere, but I would have liked to see a broader Happy Hour menu. The rooms were the only disappointing feature of the hotel. The rooms are small and not really comfortable enough to spend any time in. I stay in a lot of hotels with no problems, but my mattress, after one night, caused on the second night a 3 AM trip to the emergency room, IV pain meds, a $50 cab ride, prescription pain killers and a $9,000 hospital bill. The clerk who called me a cab was nice enough to refund me 2 nights of resort fees. Overall, it's a nice hotel with good service, great pools and great location, but you won't want to spend time in your room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pool. If you anticipate problems carrying luggage or walking, ask for a r...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear Ottbian,

Thanks for taking the time to review us after your recent stay.

I was troubled by your comment of having to go to the hospital while you were here and hope that you are feeling better.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed both of our pools while you were here, and that you liked the atmosphere of Distrito. I'm sorry that we didn't fit the bill with the Happy Hour menu, but have passed your comments on to the Chef to see if we can come up with a larger selection.

Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

We were not sure what to expect when we drove up but we were quickly reassured with the friendly desk staff.The rooms were spacious and very clean. Modern interesting decor and very comfortable beds.The bathrooms were spotless.We asked for a restaurant recommendation and were told about the hotel restaurant.I'm usually reticent to go to hotel restaurants but we were tired so to our great luck we went there . Amazing food ,great staff ,not rushed ...it was so good that on our way home we stayed and ate there again. The only downer was Old Town...but you cant have it all!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ISRAEL K

Dear Israel K,

Thanks for the Top Notch review about our hotel. It was great to hear how you liked our decor and that your room was clean and spacious. So glad that you gave Distrito a try, not once but twice....so many things to choose from and from an Iron Chef no less!

Next time we hope you'll have a bit more time to spend with us and in Old Town. So come visit us again - soon!

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I wanted to surprise my wife for our Anniversary with a staycation in Old Town Scottsdale. From the first phone call to Kelsi in reservations the customer service was outstanding! She helped me to find the best room options and location and really cared to help make things perfect! Josh at the spa went over and above to help make my wifes 2 60 minute massages a wonderful experiance! When we arrived Devin at the front desk was great and was very friendly! When we got to our room we discovered rose pedals at our front door and once we went inside they had a path leading to a rose pedal covered bed. There was also a dozen roses and a bottle of wine there all for our anniversary!! This blew my wife and I away and later I found out that Devin & Johnny were the ones responsible for this wondeful surprise. During the day we relaxed at the pool and met Junior the bartender who was awesome. He made sure that our drinks were always full and that we were having fun! The room was very clean, nice and very comfortable. The grounds were very well kept and the pool area was awesome! Some of the negative reviews seem like they stayed in a different hotel so don't let them mislead you this hotel is wonderful!! We have stayed in many Scottsdale hotels through the years for our anniversary but will now stay at the Saguaro only!! This Hotel has the best customer service and friendlist staff I have ever encountered!! Thank you for a great stay & Anniversary!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew T

Dear Matthew T,

First let me start by thanking you for staying with us during your special day. We really try to make things special when we know someone is celebrating an occasion, and I'm glad Devin and Johnny were able to make it just right.

We hope you will celebrate many more happy years together, and that the Saguaro will continue to play just a little part in your lives.

Thanks for sharing with us....come back soon!

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Two night stay April 24 & 25, 2013. Overall poor rating because some unusual issues impacted a pleasant appearing facility. Most surprised to find unadvertised, unexpected and unconventional charges of $10:00 for porters and $3.00 daily for housekeeper gratuity.
Second, the third floor room was difficult to find and the lack of convenient elevator locations led to unnecessary use of the stairs for access.
Third, the room had inconveniences. The work area was hampered with a very small desk, basically a narrow counter. The bathroom was tiny and the A/C was noisy.
Fourth, the Distrito restaurant was expensive and the food (in my case some simple nachos & cheese) was partially burned and unnecessarily dressed up to look trendy. A simple room service order of chips and salsa was $10. Bottled water in the room was $5.
A continental breakfast served to conference members was also unnecessarily trendy, and lacked juice.
Finally, housekeeping was prompt and well done, and the staff was overall polite and cooperative.

Room Tip: Best for seniors to ask for a lower floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank RG J

Dear RG J,

Thanks for your feedback from your recent visit with us during your conference. We appreciate you taking the time to share with us that the room had some inconveniences, as we strive to ensure that guests have a clean and confortable environment during their stay. I'm sorry that during your stay, that was not the case.

I also wanted to apologize if you were not made aware of the charges in advance for porterage and houskeeping, as those charges were pre-negotiated as part of your group's contract to host your meeting at our facility. I apprecaite your feedback regarding these fees and will stress to all of our groups that we and they make these costs more clear during the registration process.

Finally, thanks for the kind words about the staff, I will be sure to pass on to them your praise for their prompt and polite service.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us. We hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I have been staying at the Saguaro for the past year for business. I almost hate writing a review about the Saguaro, because it is such a great place, and when people finally stay there, they will go back again and again as I have. The employees at the Saguaro are professional yet friendly. The property opens up in to Old Town Scottsdale, so a car isn't even needed once you have landed at the Hotel. The Hotel itself is clean, has the true Old Town Scottsdale warmth and decor. The colors are amazing as is some of the art. Though in Old Town Scottsdale, it is quiet, safe and extremely secure. From this location you can do anything, and what you can't do outside of the Hotel, you can do inside. Amazing pools, exercise facilities, bikes, spa. You name it, they provide it. The Restaurant is excellent, as is the choices of Tequila. And again, the bartenders are fun, professional and seem to really like their jobs. I can't rave enough about The Saguaro. It really is my favorite place to stay in all of Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable. An inside room allows you to over look the pool or...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Keirene,

We are so glad that you have chosen us repeatedly on your trips to Scottsdale, and that you decided to share what a great and unique place we have here in Old Town.

We continue to tell people that this is the place you want to stay while here - the location can't be beat. Add to that great food with Iron Chef Jose Garces and an amazing staff, we clearly know why you have chosen to call us your home away from home - and we thank you for that.

Thanks for sharing and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

This is our kind of place! Great location, helpful and courteous staff (especially Devin at the front desk and Barney out front) also the maintenance plumber who needed to de-clog the drains was great.
We were in on a Saturday – out for a night and back for 3 nights. It was supposed to be 2 nights but due to American Airlines computer issues, it became 3.
We enjoyed the Calma pool and the grapefruit which fell for us from the tree. The restaurant Distrito was really good food- my wife would have the quail every night if she could. Service was great and it’s a happening place.
Housekeeping needed lots of checking - forgetting tissue etc. The carpet out of the room door needs some help.
If you enjoy European type hotels- boutique hotels with personal service- go and stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear SankandFrandy,

Thanks for taking some time to review us after your recent visit. I'll be sure to pass on your great comments to the staff on how much you enjoyed their service. I did also note and pass on to housekeeping to be more attentive of the details in the guestrooms and cleanliness of the hallway carpeting - my apologies for us missing this during your visit.

Thanks for staying with us...we hope to have you visit again soon.

Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

One cannot find a better experience for a visit to Scottsdale. Best location for all things Old Town. The rooms are everything you need. The vibe is cool, but a 50-something couple (that'd be me and my sweetie) didn't not feel out of place. I'd explain further, but won't. Just stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013
AKleinGM, General Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear Troy B,

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience at our property. I was glad to hear that you liked our vibe and that the room had everything you needed!

Please spread the word about our great location in Old Town Scottsdale and we hope to see you back here soon!