“Comfortable, friendly, hip”

Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Gilbert, Arizona
“Comfortable, friendly, hip”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I stayed for one night on a mini staycation. The bed was extremely comfortable, which is important. The staff was super friendly. The hotel itself is so hip and adorably well re-done from it's original incarnation. The pool area looked like a lot of fun. The room was quirky and functional, although you can definitely see some features that remain from the old motel it used to be (see: just so-so shower). Overall, we really enjoyed staying here and the location was perfect!!! BEWARE the prices at the bar!! $$$$

Room Tip: Drink elsewhere!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hello atpanda,

We appreciate you reviewing your recent stay.

I am glad you liked the rooms and our design, we get a lot compliments on them!

On your next time around, visit Distrito during Happy Hour which is every day and Taco Tuesdays! They have some great specials!

Until then…

Morgan K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 April 2014

My fiance and I came here for a long weekend to escape the cold and had a great time.
NOTE: I created an account on Tripadvisor JUST to write this review.
The hotel was exactly as pictured. It has a very trendy open air feeling. We stayed in a pool view room in building 5. Yes there were some trees in the view, was that an issue, NO, and I cannot imagine why it would be. The hotel decor is very modern and my fiance loved it. The pool and grounds are beautiful and very well kept. The pool has great lounge chairs and day beds and were clean each morning, and the cushions looked fairly new.
The staff was excellent and eager to help. Picked up and held our bags on the last day as we didn't fly out until late. Cleaned the rooms very quickly, and always had plenty of towels.
I would definitely recommend The Saguaro for those looking for a trendy and relaxing stay in the heart of old town Scottsdale.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheDizz85
Hello TheDizz85!

Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay with us!

We appreciate your sincere comments, I will be sure to pass along your kudos to the team. I have to say, you choose the perfect place to escape to from the cold; No better place than the desert!

We hope to see you again soon.

Morgan K

P.S. It hit 88 degrees today! :)
Oregon
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I wasn't expecting this hotel to be fancy. Here for a girls weekend. Was looking forward to girl time and time at the pool, both of which were great. That said, while the hotel looks great at first glance, especially the lobby, the cool swanky decor isn't matched with the level of service you'd expect. There were several weddings and got the sense they were overwhelmed and under prepared for the volume. Not enough desk staff, our party had trouble with the spa staffer and we spent 45 minutes checking out because they couldn't figure out our bill. Also, the rooms are a little worn down and seem like a motel 6 wearing lipstick. That said, the restaurant was wonderful -food, atmosphere and service, and the pool was great too (service spotty). This hotel could be really great if they better staffed and gave some of the rooms a fresh coat of paint. I felt like "you get what you pay for" bit then I realized the rooms weren't that cheap. I'd expect more, especially given the world class reviews of the palm desert Saguaro.

• Stayed April 2014
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hello Travllover521,

We appreciate you writing a review about your stay with us. With feedback we hope we can exceed guests’ experiences. With that said, I do apologize that it took a while to finish up at the spa; I do hope this was a technical issue if any.

But, I am happy to hear you enjoyed some of our amenities we offer, like Distrito and the pool. A fun fact about Distrito, the owner is actually Iron Chef Jose Garces!

We hope to see you again on your next trip out here!

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is my second stay at the Saguaro Scottsdale. I stayed in 2012 when it was relatively new (and the staff was a little green) and it seems as if there's been no upgrade since then. The carpets were tattered, the pool chair cushions were splitting at the seams, the switch plates in the wall were hanging out of the sockets. The door to my friend's room wouldn't close properly and maintenance had to be called in multiple times (for which they seemed slightly annoyed after the first trip out). Also, upon check-in we were told that the pools would both be closed (the main pool early at 4 p.m. on Saturday, the Calma pool for two hours during that same period), a major disappointment when the goal of the weekend was to relax and hang out by the pool. We called for a late check out on Sunday so we could enjoy a bit more pool time and were grudgingly given a 30 minute extension. When my friends called minutes later they were told there were no other late check outs. Service was spotty. Some of the valets were great. Some of the pool staff okay, some of the front desk staff, not so helpful. The location is great and I loved cruising on the free bikes we could use, but I'll likely be checking out other Scottsdale properties on future trips.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura D
Hello Laura D,

Thank you for taking some time out to write a review on your recent stay.

I do apologize about the pool situation, that they were both closed. I do recall we had two weddings going on during those times. I will make sure to share this with our team so we can pre-warn guests before their arrival for times like these.

I am also sad that you did not enjoy our property. Our guests usually rave about the staff and décor. All of these instances are not a normal occurrence and I do hope you will give us another try so we can exceed your expectations!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This place is great however, you will pay for the excellent location. Fork over the cash, for what you will pay over other places, you will save in cab rides -- that is IF you plan to party in Old Town. Its is a converted hotel, very boutique, funky decor, with lots of color and artwork. Don't expect a chain experience or too much luxury at this hotel (definitely is not a Hilton or Marriott - however those are both close-by if you need a chain hotel option).

YOU WILL NEVER GET AN EARLY CHECK IN. Just don't plan on it, arrive at 4pm, or get there early but plan to NOT get in your room until after 4pm. And plan for a horrible front desk experience, the clerks behind the desk definitely don't value friendly or helpful customer service. On the other the valet and bellman are FIVE STAR fantastic; valet your car, you won't need it because the location is fantastic and use their luggage service at check in, its just easier, trust me, and give the kid a tip (it's hot in Scottsdale). The pool areas are perfect, one for quiet low-key and one for high-energy people catching. Alcohol is served, the pitchers of margs is a great choice and the bartenders have a great pour. And the fitness center is open air to one of the pools, so you won't need to watch TV while on the treadmill you can just watch the drama occurring in front of you at the pool.

Room Tip: If you don't do stairs, make sure you ask for a ground level. While there are a few elevators...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jenny B
Hello Jenny B,

We appreciate you writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I am very concerned with your front desk experience; this is not of the norm. We do our best to get guests in their rooms as fast as possible. I do apologize for this. Having a full house the night before can be difficult, but either way our customer service should not lag.

On the other hand, I am happy to see you enjoyed our amenities we had to offer. From our
pools to our location, you can’t go wrong!

We you return to Scottsdale soon!

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I really think a 3.5 stars would best represent my opinion. "Very good" is over-stating it, but "average" does not suffice either. It is a unique property with such a rich sensory experience, brightly colored, with much beautiful art, and with really inviting details like the bikes, the in-room Keurigs, and vintage magazines. We were immediately glad to be there. The valets that helped us get to our rooms gave us in-depth orientation in a kind, friendly warm and welcoming manner. They seemed genuinely happy we were there. The location is outstanding in its accessibility, in a way that's hard to find in Scottsdale. But, I share the other reviewers' reticence re: some of the dishevelment and cleanliness. The pool cushions are grubby looking. They are bright yellow and, again, I want to commend the Saguaro on the boldness of their palate, it's so refreshing in the Scottsdale land of beige, but they easily show wear. Plus, a close look at anything gives one the impression of a "duct-tape" renovation. The design was so lovely, I know we'll be back, but I hope they can make some of these small improvements. Don't miss Distrito, which had the best fish tacos this family has ever had!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 130Shauna
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hello 130Shauna,

We appreciate you writing a review about your stay here.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time here in Scottsdale. Fun little fact, each one of our colors actually represents indigenous flowers of the desert!

We do have quite a prime location, right in the middle of Old Town Scottsdale. We are within walking distance to almost everything; everything else we have complimentary Saguaro bicycles!

We hope to see you back soon!

Colbert
Reviewed 24 March 2014

First off, I would go back. That being said there a somethings they need to improve on. The restaurant is great. We ate there twice. Once for dinner and once for an afternoon snack. Both times the food was great. The property is a renovated older hotel in a fabulous location. Although it is located on two busy streets, there is little noise in the room or pool area. It has bright funky paint on the outside and in. Its a wonder for eyes where ever you look. If you want cookie cutter this probably is NOT the place for you. I loved it. The two pools are totally different. The calma pool is where we spent most of our time. Its the smaller of the two and much more intimate. There are plenty of brightly colored towels to go around and they are replaced during the day. The larger pool has the bar area and lots of seating in all different settings. There is a huge connect four game along with a giant Jenga game at the larger pool. The fitness center looked quite impressive with many different kinds of machines. We happened by when there was a fitness group working out with a very handsome young man leading the group of young women! They have a hammock area that is quite private and looked incredibly relaxing. One building of the hotel overlooks a wonderful park with fountains everywhere. The grounds are amazing. Everything looks well maintained.

Now for the not so wonderful. #1 The housekeeping needs improving. Everything looks good, but I dropped something in the sink and found it to be "sticky" with soap film. The sink drained just fine and I know I did not have anything go into the sink that would have left that nasty film. A good dose of cleaner perhaps with baking soda would take that slime away! A wipe does NOT make a sink clean. #2 The cushions at the pools need attention in the area of cleaning. I get its hard to keep pool upholstery clean, but come on. Every single lounge needs a good scrubbing or steam cleaning. Both side of the cushions were not so "pristine" looking. #3 Why aren't there any recycling bins available? It drives me crazy to throw away things I know will recycle. Such an easy thing to have available in the rooms. #4 Why are there not any chairs for the balconies? We ended up taking chairs from the rooms for the balcony. There were chairs at the ground level for the patios why not all the balconies? We too would like to sit outside!

As I stated before, I would go back. I just hope they step up with the housekeeping and maintenance around pool side.

Room Tip: Calma pool area is nice. If you prefer no water the park side rooms looked nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank biccabons
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Hello biccabons,

We appreciate you leaving some feedback for us about your recent stay. We strive to exceed each guest’s expectations and feedback helps us achieve this!

You named some great qualities we have; a few being our pools, Jenga game, Connect Four game, our hammock area (my favorite), Distrito, and our prime location!

I am however, disappointed that your sink was not up to par. I do apologize and will be sure to pass along your feedback. Also, I would really enjoy incorporating some recycle bins in the rooms!
Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope you return soon!