“Great character/design! ”

Ranked #45 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Great character/design! ”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the feel of the hotel - it was very cool and the staff was extremely friendly.

The rooms could've been a bit cleaner. I felt like corners/crannies were a bit cruddy and they could've ran a vacuum a few more times.

Overall we enjoyed it!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hello WanderlustLiss,

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay and choosing to stay with us! We try to take each guest experience into consideration to make the next visit even better.
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Morgan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

The Saguaro hotel is in downtown Scottsdale. It's not very big. It odd however very colorful and has done cool decorations.The building is a bit dated but the rooms are modem and nice. It's a hip kind of place.I like the distrito restaurant a lot

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello gzau,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us!

Fun little fact that not a lot of people know, Distrito, our restaurant on property is actually owned and operated by Iron Chef Jose Graces! No wonder why the food is amazing!

Until your next visit…

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

If only all of my business travel could be this charming. I stayed just one night at this hotel in Scottsdale, my first time in the city, while performing at the nearby Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (also a knockout!), and was utterly charmed by it. It's a big place that might once have been something less charming than it is now. It has that look of something that has been repurposed with paint and imagination. While many hotels strive for a look of whimsy and end up looking strained, this hotel really pulls it off. My room was stylish and amusing while still being very functional and comfortable. The little touches, like old photos on the walls, and cleverly designed instructions for getting the most out of my stay, were actually amusing and helpful. There are two pools, one of which was very quiet, and the other that was a hotbed of activity. Both were surrounded by lush landscaping. There were bicycles to borrow and lots of things to see nearby and the whole thing was just fun and relaxing. I wish I could have stayed longer. My one complaint was that there didn't seem to be any WiFi, although maybe I just missed it somehow. I was too busy with work for it to become an issue but I'd have to investigate that more if I was going to go back. There was a spa, which I didn't see, but the gym was terrific. Great equipment an a view of the pool for motivating eye candy. There was a nice mix of straight people, lots of whom seemed to be part of wedding parties, and gay couples, and everyone was mixing nicely. I also availed myself of one of the town cars onsite to take me back to the airport and after realizing that I'd left my watch in my room the driver was very nice to take me back and wait for me to find it and did not charge me extra. I gave him a big tip, which I was happy to do because the watch, although cheap, has special memories associated with it and I left Scottsdale happy and very ready to recommend this charming hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Hello James J,

Thank you for such a wonderful detailed review! We appreciate all of our guests’ feedback and we enjoy hearing about wonderful experiences like yours.

We hope you do come back soon to enjoy some of our other great amenities like our Spa. And don’t worry, we have WiFi too!
Until then…

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We loved this colorful hotel. Had ground floor room with a patio which walked out to one of the two pools. Look for the hidden hammock! The rooms were on the small side, but with only two people, it didn't bother us. Loved the location! Can walk to everything in Old Town from here including across the canal to Scottsdale Fashion Square. There are also bikes here that you can take out for a ride, but we didn't do that. We did not want to try and ride a bike on the busy streets in Old Town. We enjoyed being at the pool each day as it wasn't very crowded the week we were there. They are very strict at the pool about bringing in your own containers. We only had our plastic Tervis tumbler, filled with water from our room, and we were told to put it away and that we couldn't use it. And we saw another couple that had a big water bottle from their room and the bartender took it away from them. Really?! We had to hide our own snacks at the pool for fear they would be confiscated too. You can get food from the menu out at the pool, but it was all unhealthy stuff and not many options. Would stay here again for the cheerfulness of it and the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room. That is the only way you will get a patio. The upper rooms have a lik...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank dshendri
Hello dshendri,

We appreciate you writing a review about your recent stay with us! It sounds like you had a wonderful time in the sun while you were here. The hidden hammock is my all-time favorite place on property, not a lot of people know about it!

I do apologize about the water bottle, but we do not allow outside food and beverage in our pool area. Like all restaurants, it could be a violation of health code and if liquor was brought in, we could potentially loose our liquor license.

We do have a prime location! Everything you need is within walking and/or bike riding distance.

We hope to see you again on your next trip out to Scottsdale!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed here through Hotwire. Great location. You can walk anywhere. Cool restaurant and bar though the front lobby. The pool looked decent.

This place is grossly overpriced. The rooms are very average. I was on the main level which had a patio that you would not want to hang out on.

If you are looking for a place to sleep where you can walk anywhere in Old Town this is a good hotel. If you are looking for any value in your dollar, I would look at one of the 'chain' hotels.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hello Steve J,

We appreciate you taking some time out to review your recent stay with us.

It sounds like you didn't get to enjoy the many amenities we have to offer. To name a few, we have two pools, both heated and chilled, a relaxing an intimate spa, and Distrito, our restaurant on property; which is owned and operated by Iron Chef Jose Garces!

We do hope you return to experience more of what we have to offer!
Until then…

Morgan
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were only there for a night and the hotel was in a great location for a one night stay. Walking distance to Old Town. The rooms were a little small and the bathroom door is VERY heavy. Other than that, we didn't have any complaints. I wouldn't stay here for an extended stay, but for a short trip, the location and price couldn't be beat. There is a complimentary shuttle which is a nice touch. Also, the service is top notch.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hello Tracelbirds0809,

Thank you for taking some time out to review your recent stay with us!

Everyone loves the complimentary shuttle we offer. We also have complimentary bicycles so you can bike all around Old Town Scottsdale. That is if you feel comfortable riding a bright orange or pink bike around!

We hope next time you will be able to stay a little longer to enjoy more of our amenities!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had shopping bags missing out of our hotel room after housekeeping came (the first time in 3 nights) during our recent stay. We contacted the front desk, and was told that a manager would contact me as soon as possible. I had to contact the manager myself, as he didn't think updating me on the issue was warranted. I received a cold "no" when I asked if there was anything they could do. There was approximately $150 of merchandise stolen, and they weren't even willing to investigate further.
I just want to clarify that I am not insinuating the staff stole our property, but I thought perhaps they threw the bag out on accident. Was the Saguaro willing to investigate into that as well? Definitely not. Doesn't matter, not their problem.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, under any circumstances, which is disappointing, since it had started off as such a lovely stay.

Buyer Beware, don't go down to the pool unless you feel like taking your suitcase with you.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank amy b
Hello Amy b,

Thank you for your review about your stay.

I do apologize about your lost merchandise; this is not a normal occurrence. I did check into the investigation and everyone is still aware of the situation and they are keeping their eyes peeled for the bags.

If you would like to talk further on the issue, please feel free to contact me directly at mkunse@jdvhotels.com.

We hope this did not tarnish your opinions of us.