“The Saguaro, cool, funky, hip and a great location”
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #46 of 76 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our daughter got married at The Clayton on the Park , right next door and we rented 14 rooms at the Saguaro,, Great Hotel, outstanding service and support staff, Megan Gladney in Reservations, Adrian at the front desk, the bell staff were all very helpful and very nice. The pink bikes are cool to cruise around on. Fantastic location, walking distance to Old Town Scottsdale and it's many restaurants/bars and shops. The Style and Vibe tells me this caters to a very hip and young crowd, corporate events etc. I liked all the cool colors. Very soft beds and nicely decorated. The rooms were spacious, clean, very nicely appointed and the property is in good shape. Distrito is FANTASTIC, Hey Folks, an IRON CHEF , Mr. Garces is in charge.. great menu selections and wonderful atmosphere at DISTRITO, nice patio right on the greenbelt. We had a blast !

Room Tip: the 4000 and 5000 buildings are right next to the pool,, the suites on the bottom floors have their...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Hello Robert G!

We appreciate you taking some time out to write a review about your stay.

Megan and Adrian are both fantastic. We are very lucky to have the team that we do! I will make sure to pass along your compliments to them.
We hope you come back soon!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great location and nice front desk, but it ends there. I am amazed at the positive reviews this hotel has received, especially considering that it's rated 4 star!! If this hotel was rated 2-3 stars, I would have no complaints. But the fact that this hotel is rated equivalently to Hyatt, Westin, or Kimpton is shocking and sad. I will give a run through of our experience, my husband and I are 30 years old and were visiting for 5days (we previously lived in the Phoenix area). We came down to visit friends and relax for the weekend. Our experience is below. We did change rooms but had the same experience in both:
1) The mattresses are built on what appears to be homemade bed frames constructed out of MDF - they are noisy as noisy gets. We could literally not roll over w/o waking each other up the beds creaked so much.
2) The walls are paper thin. I could hear one neighbor peeing and one neighbor taking a shower and singing at the same time. On top of that you could here the bed on the floor above us creaking!
3) Our hotel room was on the outside of the hotel along Drinkwater blvd which was noisy all day and all night long. Not very relaxing
4) The rooms are very dark and very dirty. The rooms felt like a motel 8 room that had been painted over to appear more hip. But really they feel pretty shabby and the bathrooms are tiny. Additionally, the duvet and towels were all stained.
5) One of the pools was closed all weekend, which means everyone had to cram into the main pool. This was one of our biggest complaint. There were not even close to enough chairs for people. People were setting up towels and laying on the cement. The hotel did nothing to monitor who came in and out and it was obvious the hotel guests were letting in many additional people to hang out with them. The music at the pool was so loud that I could hear it louder then the music in my headphones. There were many very drunk guests at the pool of which were throwing beers in the pool and/or pouring their beer in the pool. The staff didn't seem to care one bit. Furthermore, the chair pads were old and all stained brown and black. Between Sat and Sun - we could never get a chair at the pool - pathetic!
6) One our second day there the we had been out for the morning and first part of the afternoon - when we came back our AC unit had shut down and it was about 90deg in our room. At this point we were done. We packed our stuff and headed for a true 4star hotel - despite having to spend extra money and forfeiting the money we had paid.
7) Upon checking out we had room charges for drinks that were never purchased. We told the front desk lady this who said she would have it removed. Well, it was billed anyway and even after calling the hotel and leaving messages - we have not received one returned call.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. There are many 4star hotels in the area that are just as close and parking in scottsdale is easy anyway. This is not worth your vacation time.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello AFB3,

Thank you for taking some time out to write a review about your stay.

I am very concerned with many of the points you made. This does not sound like a typical stay with us. I would like to speak with you further regarding your visit. If you could, contact me at your earliest convenience at mkunse@jdvhotels.com with the best way to connect with you directly.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I have stayed at the Saguaro many times in the past two years. It's kind of a funky motel style hotel that has undergone several changes over the years. I only have been there since it's been the Saguaro. The property itself is in a great location in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale. It's easy to walk to many great restaurants and bars nearby.
This place seems to attract lots of European vacationers and people looking to do a quick getaway. Also, there are a fare share of business folks there for a conference or business meeting.
The rooms are basic - nice and clean but not upscale. They have the things you would expect in a room but no extras. They decor is what I call Mexican funky - bright colors and kind of an old west feel. You also access the rooms from the outside (motel-style).
The rooms I like best are the Picante or Calma Pool View rooms, You have your own patio set just off the pool. These are great because you can just walk out to either pool area.
Speaking of which, the outdoor areas of this hotel are the best part. One other guest described it as an oasis and I thought that described it perfectly. While not upscale like the W pool, the pools are kind iof cool and fun. The Picante pool has cabanas as well with fireplaces (for rent now) and a nice hot tub at the end of the pool. They have loungers and really giant, comfy daybeds. There's a bar here as well. The Calma pool is quieter and more private with loungers and a few smaller daybeds.
They used to have a fun, adult-oriented pool scene on Friday, Saturday and Sunday but they apparently are no longer looking for that crowd and seem to be targeting a more family-friendly scene (which I don't understand because the hotel has no family activities or facilities). The spa is small and adjacent to the Picante pool). We did massage there not too long ago that was nice. The massage rooms can open up so you can all get your massages together. Other than that, the spa doesn't offer any other facilities or services.
I used to really enjoy hanging out the pool at night and just relaxing with a drink or socializing with a friend or another hotel guest in the hot tub or on just relaxing and looking up at the stars on a daybed. It was a really unique experience.
However, in the last few months, the management has made some changes for the worse to the pool areas. First, the pool bar has been closed often and you had to call room service to get a drink or food (and pay room service prices and fees). Second, they now have a rude security guy who comes out and throws everyone out of the pool are promptly at 10:00 PM. He then proceeds to padlock the pool gates and if you don't leave immediately he threatens to lock you in!! Seriously, that's so "Motel 6"! This place charges a premium to stay, has a fantastic outdoor oasis and just when you're enjoying the beautiful desert night, they kick you out and lock the place down like Fort Knox. I think the way they treat guests at a place that's trying to be upscale is just poor form. So, I stay elsewhere now where they respect the guests enough to let them enjoy the property at their own time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Hello BigBABQ,

We appreciate you writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I would agree with you, we are just like an “oasis”. Right in the middle of Old Town Scottsdale, close enough to walk anywhere yet far and hidden enough to feel like you are away from the city.

We are starting up our pool series this weekend for Memorial Day. Every Saturday we will have either DJs or live music for a more lively pool scene in the summer. On the other hand, I do apologize about the security in the evening. We close the pool down at 10pm so that our other guests are not disturbed.

I do hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

A great hotel right in the heart of Scottsdale, walking distance to Old Town and great restaurants and bars. The hotel has a very unique ambiance and very colorful decor. Rooms are comfortable and spacious. Really enjoyed the pool area and the music. Staff was really friendly and the Valet staff was very helpful throughout our stay when we repeatedly needed something from our car. I highly recommend The Saguaro!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mattb787

Hello Mattb787,

Thank you for the sincere comments about your recent stay! I will be sure to pass around your kudos to the team.

We hope you return soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was in AZ for the first time in 7 years and I am glad I stayed here. The front desk girls and staff were awesome and very helpful. I would highly recommend anyone to stay here when wanting to be in Old Town Scottsdale. I met some amazing people while at the hotel that I have continued to stay in contact with. Rooms were very clean which is a huge plus for me. Until we meet again Saguaro.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Colby S

Hello Colby S,

Thank you for writing a review on your recent stay.
Glad you had a great time while you were here; hopefully it won’t be 7 years until your next visit?!
Until then…

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the feel of the hotel - it was very cool and the staff was extremely friendly.

The rooms could've been a bit cleaner. I felt like corners/crannies were a bit cruddy and they could've ran a vacuum a few more times.

Overall we enjoyed it!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello WanderlustLiss,

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay and choosing to stay with us! We try to take each guest experience into consideration to make the next visit even better.
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Morgan

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Saguaro hotel is in downtown Scottsdale. It's not very big. It odd however very colorful and has done cool decorations.The building is a bit dated but the rooms are modem and nice. It's a hip kind of place.I like the distrito restaurant a lot

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Hello gzau,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us!

Fun little fact that not a lot of people know, Distrito, our restaurant on property is actually owned and operated by Iron Chef Jose Graces! No wonder why the food is amazing!

Until your next visit…