“Not 4-Star Quality, but nice for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Saguaro Scottsdale

Saguaro Scottsdale
Ranked #48 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Burnaby, Canada
“Not 4-Star Quality, but nice for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Had a few issues, some staff were nice and helpful, others were useless and ignored you.

Upgraded our reservation to pool side, but too many trees can't see the pool.

When checking in the computers were down, couldn't print hotel keys, couldn't register your access to wi-fi. Security let us in and in the morning they provided keys and wifi access. Wasn't too annoying as we arrive pretty late.

$9 bottle of water is stupid, the mini-fridge was tiny, but we managed to fit some water bottles from the CVS which is about a 1 minute drive away, along with some beer and pops, so it wasn't too bad. Free couple cups of coffee Keurig in the room.

Pool was closed for one night for a fire fighter event, good for the fire fighters bad for us. There was a note on the gate that the pool was closing at 5PM (usually 10PM). We asked about it the next day at the front desk and they mentioned the smaller pool was still open, we didn't know there was a smaller pool, we looked around for it, couldn't find it. It's a resonable sized place, but no idea how the smaller pool is, and the larger pool is just a large rectangle, but wasn't overly crowded. The music was loud, but fun, and one of the speakers kept cutting in and out. The pool closing at 10PM is a little annoying as it is still warm, and you might actually use the attached hot tub, during the daytime, no need for a hottub.

Room was clean, bed was big and comfy. The construction in the room was pretty poor, really bad drywalling and painting in our room, but the bright colors were nice. I didn't really have much issue with the room, other than it wasn't 4-Star looking, showerhead sucked, television sucked and everything was overpriced ($16 for a movie that's been out for months).

Being in old town was cool, lots of places to walk to if you can take the heat, cheap restaurants, trendy and expensive restaurants. Old Town was quite a bit touristy, too many just trinket shops not much heritage to it, but was pleasant.

Distario (sp?) was not good, there was a wedding at the resort for one of our nights, couldn't get any drink service during happy hour, margarittas were awful, mexican beers were good. We had made a reservation for 6PM, but it wasn't in the computer when I had seen her type it into the computer earlier, we were cancelling earlier because the enchilada we had at happy hour was sub-par, and weren't interested in eating in the place as it wasn't that nice. Decided to go to Kelly's (about 10 minute walk) was expensive but decent and there happy hour went till 7PM.

We had ordered a "Caesar" pool side, which is a Bloody Mary in the US, they ended up adding a Caesar salad to our bill which we had to remove at checkout, and they ended up adding the Bloody Mary which we never got. I couldn't get a clear answer at checkout what the $27 charge was for exactly, but they credited $13 for the caesar and $9 for the Bloody Mary, leaving about $5 left for a signle vodka/diet, which are normally about $9 poolside (no outside food or drink allowed in the pool area, so be prepared to pay $9-$15 per drink poolside)

Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello Daniel D,

We appreciate you reviewing your recent stay with us.

I apologize about your unpleasant experience here. We do have special events at our pool on occasions. But on other nights we do close the pool at 10pm so that our other guests are not disturbed.

We hope to welcome you back for a more enjoyable time.

Morgan K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I like what this hotel is going for... but it just isn't all coming together for them. For the price they charge {plus...don't forget there is an additional $25 per day resort fee} I expect more. I feel that the designers were off to a great start- I love the bright colors and the whole retro thing they are going for.... but the place is a little dilapidated.

They took an old motel and gave it a facelift... I just think there is a bit more work to be done to make it as nice of a hotel as they are saying that it is. The elevator had a weird smell and I thought may not get me to the second floor, the shower clogged up and the door to the bathroom barely closed....Oh, on that note, if you are traveling with someone you aren't that comfortable with you may like to know that even if the door were properly working, there isn't complete privacy in the bathroom with the design of the door.

There was a line to check in, a line at the pool bar {and only 2 waitresses serving the whole pool so we had to get in the line or wait forever for them} I also was surprised that on Saturday half of the pool area was reserved for a private party so needless to say- there wasn't much room for the rest of the guests. There was a second, smaller pool, but the larger pool has the music and activity.

The pros are: great location, VERY comfortable bed and the bright color concept gives a lively feeling. The gym looked like it had new equipment, but I didn't use it to be 100% sure. They have free bikes to use {but they were all taken already by 9:30am}

But for the amount they charge it just isn't worth it. And one more thing that was a bit annoying is that to check out you can either stand in a long line or check out on on the TV in your room {yay!} and then I notice another $1.00 charge which I think maybe is a donation to a charity, but I really don't know....it was hard to see because the whole description isn't shown on the TV... and don't get me wrong... I am all about giving to charity and it may seem to cheap to complain about only one dollar, but it is the principle of the matter. I didn't have the ability to take that off of my bill without standing in the line.

I would most likely stay somewhere else if I go back to Scottsdale, but I hope they can update the place because it has so much potential.

Room Tip: If you plan to go to bed early you do not want a room near the pool because the DJ is loud!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello TravelGirl604,

Thank you for taking some time out to write a review about your stay.

We actually completed some renovations in November of 2011. During this we added many great touches to our guest rooms, including 100% cotton 400 thread count sheets, pillow top mattresses, iHome docking stations for your ipad and ipod, AC units, new flat panel 42inch LED TV's and many other comfort features. In addition we added in some traditional hand crafted furniture from Mexico to give our hotel a sense of authenticity for the native surroundings.
We also got new pool furniture for the Picante pool last week!

We hope you do come back to visit us!

Callington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed in Scottsdale on the first night of our holiday. We wanted somewhere not too far from Phoenix airport following a ten hour flight from London. The Sanguaro is a very colourful hotel and we liked it there. The room was spacious and had everything we needed. We visited the bar and were made very welcome by the staff. We arrived at the hotel in the evening so could not explore the surrounding area until next morning.
We liked the downtown area of Scottsdale, there were plenty of interesting shops and cafe's.
It would have been nice to have stayed longer and seen more of Scottsdale and Phoenix.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Morgan K, Manager at Saguaro Scottsdale, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello Owlincallington,

We appreciate you taking some time out to write a review about your stay!

Sounds like you had a full day of traveling! We hope you come back to stay with us so you can enjoy some of our great amenities and Scottsdale!

Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Why do I love the Saquaro? It's fun, stylish, and close to everything you want to do in Old Town.

Checking in? The folks at the front desk will greet you with a smile and make you feel welcome.

Working out? The gym and pool area at Saguaro is just great - Fun without being stuffy. The gym has lots of new equipment and a wall that opens to the pool.

The rooms at The Saguaros are funky; filled with orange couches and kitschy books about cowboys and indians. Are they 5 star triple diamond? No, but they are comfortable, always clean, and easy to access from the car (i.e. no walking across acres of resort to get to your room).

The restaurant here is great, but more importantly, it's close to about all the other great places to eat in Old Town. They also provide pink bikes, so you can cruise around like a boss.

I stay here about 2x a month and Anela & Aurora (the wonderful women of the front desk) always greet me by name and do everything short of breakdancing to make sure my stay is awesome.

Room Tip: Rooms at the West end can get a but loud during pool party season. Stick to the East end for a quie...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello Jamie W,

Thank you for your review! Sounds like we are your home away from home! We are happy to be there for you!

I will be sure to pass along your kudos to the girls. Thank you for choosing us.

See you in a week or two…

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I took my sisters to Scottsdale for a girls trip recently and chose the Saguaro and for the most part, I would say it was a good decision. If this had been a trip for my husband and I, I would have been a little let down as it wasn't as swanky as I might like for a couples trip.

The décor is funky and charming. The beds are comfortable and the bedding was lovely. There were four of us in a Stetson Suite and the set up with the bedroom and sitting room was perfect. Even more perfect were the two bathroom areas - we had a walk in shower as well as a tub and shower and there were vanities in both areas. Definitely nice for four girls getting ready! The room was clean when we arrived but I would say the housekeeping staff was pretty slow to get the room cleaned each day and they left empty champagne bottles and buckets in our room for our entire stay. Definitely not the end of the world but kind of surprising.

We spent most of our time at the Picante pool which was nice. We didn't have to get down super early to get chairs and the service was great. The only trouble was the bar didn't open until 11. I realize that makes me sound like a lush but even an hour earlier might have been nice. Breakfast drinks are never a bad thing when you're on vacation! One of my sisters and I took advantage of one of the fitness classes offered by the pool and it was really great! We all took advantage of the spa as well and my massage was fantastic. It wasn't the fanciest spa but it was nice, definitely nice enough to relax! The lobby building is very cute and the front desk staff was very friendly as well. We ate at Distrito our first night and the food was tasty and the décor (especially the bar area) was super hipster. It was kind of strange though, the restaurant never seemed very busy... The hotel also offers cruiser bikes as part of your resort fee and they are a.w.e.s.o.m.e.! We rode them to breakfast sort of by the waterfront one morning and it was SO much fun! The location of the hotel is seriously perfect. It's super close to everything - we didn't venture out too far - but we definitely didn't need a car. There were golf cart cabs to get us out to dinners and there was plenty nearby so walking was always an option.

I would definitely go back to the Saguaro for another girls' trip!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hello MrsLowe03!

Thank you for writing a review about your recent girls’ trip! Sounds like you girls had a blast! You defiantly hit up a lot of the amenities we offer like the bikes, spa, the pool, Distrito, and even a fitness class! Busy weekend!

We hope to welcome you girls back soon!

Fountain Hills
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our daughter got married at The Clayton on the Park , right next door and we rented 14 rooms at the Saguaro,, Great Hotel, outstanding service and support staff, Megan Gladney in Reservations, Adrian at the front desk, the bell staff were all very helpful and very nice. The pink bikes are cool to cruise around on. Fantastic location, walking distance to Old Town Scottsdale and it's many restaurants/bars and shops. The Style and Vibe tells me this caters to a very hip and young crowd, corporate events etc. I liked all the cool colors. Very soft beds and nicely decorated. The rooms were spacious, clean, very nicely appointed and the property is in good shape. Distrito is FANTASTIC, Hey Folks, an IRON CHEF , Mr. Garces is in charge.. great menu selections and wonderful atmosphere at DISTRITO, nice patio right on the greenbelt. We had a blast !

Room Tip: the 4000 and 5000 buildings are right next to the pool,, the suites on the bottom floors have their...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hello Robert G!

We appreciate you taking some time out to write a review about your stay.

Megan and Adrian are both fantastic. We are very lucky to have the team that we do! I will make sure to pass along your compliments to them.
We hope you come back soon!

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great location and nice front desk, but it ends there. I am amazed at the positive reviews this hotel has received, especially considering that it's rated 4 star!! If this hotel was rated 2-3 stars, I would have no complaints. But the fact that this hotel is rated equivalently to Hyatt, Westin, or Kimpton is shocking and sad. I will give a run through of our experience, my husband and I are 30 years old and were visiting for 5days (we previously lived in the Phoenix area). We came down to visit friends and relax for the weekend. Our experience is below. We did change rooms but had the same experience in both:
1) The mattresses are built on what appears to be homemade bed frames constructed out of MDF - they are noisy as noisy gets. We could literally not roll over w/o waking each other up the beds creaked so much.
2) The walls are paper thin. I could hear one neighbor peeing and one neighbor taking a shower and singing at the same time. On top of that you could here the bed on the floor above us creaking!
3) Our hotel room was on the outside of the hotel along Drinkwater blvd which was noisy all day and all night long. Not very relaxing
4) The rooms are very dark and very dirty. The rooms felt like a motel 8 room that had been painted over to appear more hip. But really they feel pretty shabby and the bathrooms are tiny. Additionally, the duvet and towels were all stained.
5) One of the pools was closed all weekend, which means everyone had to cram into the main pool. This was one of our biggest complaint. There were not even close to enough chairs for people. People were setting up towels and laying on the cement. The hotel did nothing to monitor who came in and out and it was obvious the hotel guests were letting in many additional people to hang out with them. The music at the pool was so loud that I could hear it louder then the music in my headphones. There were many very drunk guests at the pool of which were throwing beers in the pool and/or pouring their beer in the pool. The staff didn't seem to care one bit. Furthermore, the chair pads were old and all stained brown and black. Between Sat and Sun - we could never get a chair at the pool - pathetic!
6) One our second day there the we had been out for the morning and first part of the afternoon - when we came back our AC unit had shut down and it was about 90deg in our room. At this point we were done. We packed our stuff and headed for a true 4star hotel - despite having to spend extra money and forfeiting the money we had paid.
7) Upon checking out we had room charges for drinks that were never purchased. We told the front desk lady this who said she would have it removed. Well, it was billed anyway and even after calling the hotel and leaving messages - we have not received one returned call.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else. There are many 4star hotels in the area that are just as close and parking in scottsdale is easy anyway. This is not worth your vacation time.

Hello AFB3,

Thank you for taking some time out to write a review about your stay.

I am very concerned with many of the points you made. This does not sound like a typical stay with us. I would like to speak with you further regarding your visit. If you could, contact me at your earliest convenience at mkunse@jdvhotels.com with the best way to connect with you directly.