“Relaxing stay”

Ranked #46 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Devizes, United Kingdom
“Relaxing stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed with wife & teenage children for four nights & had a relaxing & comfortable stay. Relatively quiet resort with acceptable accommodation that is in the process of being refurbished. A great base for touring the surrounding area. No complaints but not extraordinary.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank howlett365

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Long Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

My husband, his Aunt, my father and myself stayed at this resort. I was very worried about what I would find due to some of the other reviews. It is true that they are in the process of refurbishing the resort, however our room had NOT been refurbished as of yet. Even without the refurbishment our room was worth at least 3 stars. It was nicely maintained and beds were comfortable. We were able to tour a renovated room which I would definitely give 5 stars. The staff were very cordial and always there to help. They had great activities for families even though we were there during non peak season. There is a large pool with a hot tub. Although it was a bit cold at times it was still very nice to get into after a day of site seeing. They also have a seperate hot tub for adults only. What a bonus! Gas barbeque grills available for outside cooking, There is also a cafe near the pool that my husband's Aunt and my father liked to frequent. The beds are quite confortable and the units are spacious. Don't believe the previous reviews! This resort is worth staying at for a family outing or a romantic sucluded get away for two. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Marki2517
Dublin, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

We had a 2 bedroom unit, which was really a 1 bedroom unit (full kitchen and bath, queen size pull put couch in living area and a bedroom with a king size bed) and a Studio ( 1 room with a queen size bed and pull out couch. a partial kitchen and a bathroom with a shower). It fit our needs perfectly. The mattress and pillows were fabulous. The shower took a bit to warm up and the water pressure wasn't great. We asked for rooms on the 1st floor and received them. There are 3 floors without an elevator.

It was hot, but the pool was open from 8-10. Since Scottsdale was a 3 hour time change, we were ready to swim at 8:00. The waterfall in the pool was a nice feature. The exercise room was busy. There were tennis courts.

Staff were friendly and helpful. They gave us a nice map of the area with restaurants and activities clearly marked. The dreaded sales pitch came to attend a time share presentation. The offer was a 1 night stay at a similar 2 bedroom unit at The Ridge in Sedona for $55. Since we had planned on going to the Grand Canyon, this enabled us to see Sedona and be 2 hours closer to our destination. It was a painless 1 1/2 hour presentation. It seemed like a good deal for us. No, we didn't buy.

Don't rely on a GPS system. My Garmin had trouble finding satellites. My brother had better luck with his IPhone, but it went in and out at times too.

It was a good time to travel, even though it was hot 105-109 daily. you don't sweat. No waits at restaurants and tourist attractions weren't very crowded.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank BuckeyeFever4Ever
Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

My wife and I and our infant daughter decided to do a 4 night "staycation" to get out of the house for a few days. Since we live in Phoenix we were just looking for a relaxing weekend and we did get that.

We had a studio which was rather tiny but just right for our purpose. The kitchen was adequate, and since the only cooking I did involved the outdoor grills or the microwave, the lack of a stove/oven was not a problem. The carpet did need to be cleaned as there were a few "stiff" spots, who knows from what. The TV was definately my biggest gripe, as I was never able to get the picture to have the correct colors, it is very overdue for an upgrade. The connecting room door, whole secure with both a deadbolt with a key and a regular deadbolt, was just an interior door that was open at the bottom but had weatherstripping at the bottom. You could see under it if you wanted to and it really kept no sound out. Our daughter can have a set of lungs on her when she means to so I felt sorry for our neighbors some mornings.

The complex is well kept, the pools are nice, and the location is pretty much like everything else in Phoenix/Scottsdale, you have to drive to get anywhere.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank kenanmt
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

I used the Armed Forces Vacation Club to get a $300 deal for seven days here. The first thing to be aware of is that it is close to nothing. Situated way on the northern edge of Scottsdale, there is absolutely nothing (beyond some car dealers) anywhere close to it.
The next problem came at check-in. I was subjected to an intense, high pressure sales pitch to sign up for a time-share pitch during the week, which would obviously have been an even higher pressure deal. It was all I could do to finally get the guy to let me decline the appointment, and it really left a bad taste in my mouth, and this was only check-in!

Next, when I actually saw the apartment, the connecting door to the next apartment had been left open, so I had to call for someone to come and close and lock the door. Another 20 minutes wasted, and I haven't even unpacked yet.

The apartment itself was quite decent, and pretty clean. No real problems there. But there were maintenance people out and about all over the place every day (all day long) with very loud, noisy leaf blowers and other power tools. Most of the extensive maintenance staff seems to do little more than ride their golf carts around the place and play dodge the cart with their friends.

Overall, I would never consider staying here again. Some people obviously don't mind the drawbacks, but it was more than I'm willing to put up with.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank braumeister
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2009

I went with Armed Forces Vacation Club aka a time share place. I paid $ 329.00 for seven days. Yes I went to a time share meeting while we were there and had $100.00 taken of our tour to the Grand Canyon. We visited Sedona where I went on two other time shares and had another 200.00 given to me. Aside from that, the Grand Canyon was awsome. Everyone in the states should visit it at least once! Sedona is also nice. The shopping areas have tourist prices of course.

Now for the resort. It is a little off the beaten path. You will definitly need to rent a car. Three stories high. No elevator. I chose the bottom floor. There are no safes in the room but the front desk has one. The safe deposit boxes look like they are 30 years old. Time for an upgrade. Speaking of upgrades, the televisons in the room are probably over 10 years old. When watching ESPN could not see the ticker at the bottom of the screen for up to date scores. The fridge and microwave were probably over 10 years old too. No stove in the studio rooms. Had to ask for a portable two burner stove. They supply you with pots, pans, dishes, etc. Of course the pot they gave me, the lid was not the right size. Had to go to main desk and get a new one. Time for some upgrades Villa Mirage.

PROS: The pool was large and kept clean. The laundry room was nice. Of course there was a new looking flat screen tv in that room. Nice fitness center. The little shop to buy food, gifts, etc was not too pricey. The grounds are kept very clean. Two nice tennis courts, although I can not for the love of me know why they put a basketball rim right on one of the tennis courts. I would think there would be enough room somewhere else for it. If you stay a week, the maid will come in once to give you fresh linins, towels, etc and clean up the place for you. Less than a week you are on your own. Maid service was good. No charges for local calls on the phone. There are plenty of activities for kids there.

CONS: The main lobby has two computers. Not sure who is their network supporter. The internet/printer sometimes worked and sometimes did not. Best time to use it was after 11:pm. There is a lot of road construction going on in Phoenix/Scottsdale. Making turns to go to the resort was a little bit crazy with all the pylons, etc, etc. Placed a wake-up call and never got call one particular morning. The manager did call me back and stated he was sorry. Went on tour to Grand Canyon with Southwest tours. Not a good experience. It fits 11 people in a van. Coming back some of the out-of-towners decided to get drunk. Not a good experience. Still waiting for my VISA to be partially credited from their company. Parking is plentifull, however, depending where you stay and what time you arrive you may have to walk a few blocks from your room to your car. On monday night they have Fiesta night. The food was okay, although they should have ordered it from Taco bell. It would have tasted better than what I ate. It was $10 a person. Save your money and do not go. No complimentry newspapers. You have to pay for it.

All in all. it was very good for the price I paid. If I had paid more than what I paid it would not have been worth it.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank R D
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2009

My husband and I stayed in a two bedroom, two bath corner unit with our two young daughters from April 5-12, 2009. We were able to exchange our 1 bed/1 bath timeshare for a promotional 2 bed/2 bath unit through Interval International (www.intervalworld.com). Upon check in we were offered our choice of several available units. We chose a 2nd floor corner unit that had no unit above, which eliminated the potential for noise from above. The unit was huge with two balconies and a fireplace. It was very clean and the furnishings were all very nice. With the extra space we were able to spread out and feel right at home for the week. The bed was exteremely comfortable with quality bedding and towels. Don't expect high end granite counters in the kitchen and baths or stainless appliances. The lobby sitting area had two computers with internet access and printers that guests were allowed to use free of charge, which came in handy for printing off directions and boarding passes. Movies are available to rent from the gift shop for $3/day. On the negative side, the location is on the northern most edge of the Scottsdale resort area (expect a 30 minute drive to the zoo, the botanical gardens, the museum of natural history, petroglyphs, etc.). There was major road construction on Scottsdale Road immediately in front of the resort which was a hassle throughout the week. The pool area is somewhat small and crowded, although we were always able to find chairs. The pool was very cold throughout the week. The hot tub was not hot enough, which was corrected after we mentioned it to the sales rep when we did the 90 minute timeshare presentation, which ended up being over 2 hours long. Child care was provided, but our daughters were fried after waiting so long. There are two tennis courts, one of which doubles as a basketball court. They offered crafts for the kids throughout the week for an additional cost which we felt was too high: tie dye shirts ($10 each), pottery painting, build a bear ($25 each). To sum it up, the best thing about this resort is the large size of the unit, cleanliness and comfortable beds. We felt rested after returning home. You can also take a lovely walk through the Fairmont Resorts grounds and neighborhood which is just down the street. It is also a short walk to the restaurant at the Xona Resort next door, as the cafe at the Villa Mirage has a limited menu and closed at 5.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family