“Small lapses make the difference. will not be back”

Residence Inn Scottsdale North
Ranked #55 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
New York City, New York
“Small lapses make the difference. will not be back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I am a frequent business traveler, who stays in Phoenix about once every 1-2 months. Due to my preferred hotels being fully booked, I stayed here for 3 days in February 2014. First of all, the hotel is not terrible. The rooms are nicely appointed for a RI, parking is adequate and the staff are friendly. However, in the competitive Scottsdale/Phoenix market, it's the small things that make a difference in hotel choice - and this is where this hotel falls short. The gripes I have are minor, but I will not stay here again. First, there is an inadequate store in the hotel. They were sold out of bottled water when I arrived dehydrated. Second, the ground floor has an overpowering smell of chlorine from the pool. I was left without shampoo for 2 days of my stay (although strangely was given 3 bottles of conditioner). I was not asked for my Marriott rewards number on checkin, so only noticed it was not on my account when I checked out. And lastly, this is a difficult hotel to find. There are no signs and it is barely visible from road. I missed it 3 times driving back to it in the evenings. So it's these little lapses that will cause me to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank raverusa
Terry M, General Manager at Residence Inn Scottsdale North, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Hello Raverusa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are disappointed to learn of the small lapses you experienced while a guest at our hotel, but it is through feedback like yours that we can continually improve.

We have brought your issues to the attention of each of our departments involved, in an effort to ensure that these small annoyances do not happen again.

We appreciate that you chose us for your stay in February, and sincerely hope that you will give us an opportunity to provide a perfect stay for you in the future.

Best Regards from Scottsdale,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great staff was actually just happy to get a room during the car show. It is a mix of the old style sprawling RI layout with the new room interiors so I was a fan. The only complaint I have is the fitness room weight machine is truly awful I didn't inquire if they had deals with a local as I didn't have a rental car. If you don't plan on working out this is a great facility with plenty of walkable food options.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank James T
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

The front desk staff were friendly, helpful and professional. The area is safe and quiet. The room was awesome! It was clean and so comfortable. The bed was firm and perfect. We slept like babies. The full kitchen and really big clothes closet would be perfect for a long stay. It was a little pricey but very nice. The only con would be that the "hot" tub was not hot at all.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 1Gypsy1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

My 3 night stay was uneventful which is exactly what I hope for, especially when traveling for work. The staff was friendly all around. I interacted with the front desk a bit more than I usually would, and revived helpful info on local restaurants by cuisine. The common areas and my room we're clean and up to date. Location was convenient for my trip's purpose but also close to a big selection of restaurants and shopping centers. I will stay here again for my next business trip in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bookwormj
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

The breakfast downstairs is pretty good in the morning. The problem is too many people waiting for the slow toaster to operate. Get one of those ones where you throw it in and it comes out pretty quick. They had fresh yogurt parfaits, plenty of coffee and eggs and fruit and bread too. I do like the to-go boxes that were available as well. Everything else is really good. The rooms are big enough to have a semi-separate area for kitchen and bedroom. The beds are cozy, but I'm not so sure about the room locks. My bottom lock was not on there anymore, so it's just one lock really, the latch and that seems like not enough. They also give you the opportunity to get three free newspapers each day and that includes the big Sunday local paper. Walls do seem thin as I was woken up by doors slamming shut in the morning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Brad H
Cochrane, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have just returned from a 4 day stay at this hotel. The service was outstanding. Any interaction with the front desk was met with a smile and they were incredibly helpful. The hotel location was very close to Barrett Jackson but out of the way for many of the other attractions in Scottsdale. The hotel shuttle was very convenient for any travel close by but very expensive for travel outside of the shuttle 5 mile radius. The shuttle also ends at 6 pm every night. If I was to return I think I would rent a car but take advantage of the shuttle when available.
The two bedroom suite is very spacious and clean and well equipped. The room was very basic but comfortable.
The hotel offers a good breakfast in the morning that includes scrambled eggs, sausage, cereals
and fresh fruit. They also offered a complimentary evening meal with free beer and wine. It is a light meal but hot and good if you are not too hungry. The pool and hot tub were good and was not busy anytime I was there.
We had supper at Charlestons which is located in the parking lot and it offered a very good a very good menu and food.
I did find the rate of $ 288 per night + taxes (4 extra taxes that added up to almost $40 per night) high for the location of this hotel but I don't know what the other rates would be during this busy time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mcmCalgary
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Have been a loyal Marriott customer for business and personal travel for many years. Visited this property November 30th - December 2nd. During the first night, my son's vehicle, which was parked only 10 spaces from the main entrance and in clear sight of it, was vandalized (rear window smashed and personal property stolen). Prior to check out on second day, spoke with general manager; he characterized the incident as unfortunate. Believe the signage at each exterior door that states "vehicles parked at owner's risk." They mean it. As a follow up to the police report, we learned that this property does not have any outside surveillance system.

Upon returning home, I contacted Marriott Corporation, the result of which was an email from the same general manager at the property. He stated, in part, "As I shared with you during our recent stay, we do have what we consider to be adequate security measures in place to protect our guests, and out (sic) hotel is in a very safe area of town." It was extremely disappointing that the corporate offices (Mr. Marriott, Jr.) simply sloughed my letter off to the local folks. To me, that speaks volumes about how Marriott wishes to run its business, and the local folks apparently do not feel any responsibility for what happens outside the hotel, either. Simply put, this was my last stay at Marriott properties - - for good. I will take my business elsewhere.

The night prior to leaving Phoenix, we booked a room at the Gainey Suites, just down the road from this property, also on North Scottsdale Road. The rates are competitive, the rooms larger, the complimentary happy hour better, and the breakfast much better. Safe travels.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank GLWestP55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
Courtyard Scottsdale North
#51 of 75 in Scottsdale
Desert Ridge
Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic

Been to Residence Inn Scottsdale North? Share your experiences!