“Beautiful property!”

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed here to celebrate my mother-n-laws 75th Birthday! She wanted to go to a resort/spa in Scottsdale. So we picked the Kierland! We were so pleased. She was so happy!
The views of the mountains behind the golf course was stunning and the bagpiper each evening was nice and different.
The staff were all so friendly and polite. Even though this is a major convention hotel it's so large we didn't find it an issue.
Nicole was our server at breakfast both mornings and she was so nice and even remembered us from the morning before. It was really nice to have top notch customer service.

Room Tip: They have a desert area in the lobby nightly from 5 to 8pm and the deserts are wonderful. Lots of c...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
WestinKierland, Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

We are so pleased to hear that you had such a nice visit to The Westin Kierland, and to celebrate your monther's milestone birthday. Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We will be sure to share it with our management staff. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again when visitng Scottsdale in the future. Thank you for being a valued guest.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,505)

Reviewed 10 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in August as part of a family vacation. I was very regretful after the fact that we weren’t spending more time at this resort! It really is a very lovely hotel. I am a big fan of the Westin chain, and this one did not disappoint. It is now one of my favorites.

It is a large resort, so the hotel definitely has a busy feel to it, but it’s still very nice. It has a sort of rustic outdoorsy look, with lots of stone and dark wood. Everything is fresh and nicely decorated, and the grounds were impeccably manicured. The lobby itself is gorgeous and very large, with several levels of seating and huge windows looking out toward the golf course. The lobby was a really nice area to sit and relax, and at night there is a dessert buffet set up (each item priced individually). The desserts looked great, but we didn’t end up purchasing any or even looking to see what the prices are.

From a vacationer’s standpoint, I guess a detraction of this hotel is that it definitely caters to business groups/conventions. During the day, the convention presence wasn’t felt very much, but at night, it definitely was. When we came back to the hotel from dinner, the lobby was overrun with a very loud convention group, which unfortunately precluded us from enjoying the lobby that night.

We booked one of the deluxe rooms on the club level with 2 double beds. The room was very nice and newly renovated, just as the pictures on the hotel website show. It is nice that all of the rooms have a small balcony with a table and two chairs. The bathroom was very nice as well, with a separate tub and shower. I guess if someone actually wanted to use the tub, it might be a bit on the small side, but I was perfectly content with the glass stall shower. The room was like a marketing campaign in of itself. It seemed that everything in the room was for sale or advertising something to buy. There was the minibar, refillable metal water bottles for sale, things about the bedding, etc. It just seemed like overkill on the sales.

What made the deluxe room different from standard rooms was the view. We had a perfect view of the golf course from our room. Standard view rooms seem to overlook the parking lot, roof, or pool instead. We always stay on a club level if we can, and the club floor here was in a perfect location, on one of the top floors in the main tower building above the lobby. The majority of rooms in the hotel are in the one large building, but I heard other guests mentioning how long of a walk it was to their rooms from the lobby.

The club lounge itself was nice, with a golf course view. When we arrived in the afternoon, we were disappointed to see that the lounge wasn’t staffed during the afternoon or evening, and that there wouldn’t be any afternoon/evening hot food offerings. There were some packaged snacks and cookies available in the lounge during the day, but they were essentially first-come, first-served and must have been put out right after breakfast. I would like to have seen more food available during the day, or at least having the snacks and cookies replenished. We had breakfast here in the morning, and it was good. It was a typical continental breakfast with good fresh fruit.

We didn’t have much contact with the staff at the hotel. Everyone in the lobby was pleasant enough, but didn’t go out of their way to interact with guests. They were busier talking to each other usually. The only employee we really noticed was the club lounge concierge/attendant in the morning, who definitely left a bad taste in our mouths. He just simply sat at the desk outside the lounge without bothering to look up and say hi when we came in. During the entire time we were eating, he never came in to check on the food, say hi to any of the guests, etc. It was just really poor service, and even when we left, he just still sat there without saying a word or even looking up from his computer. I’ve often found some of the best hotel employees at club lounges, and here that was not the case.

We enjoyed some time at the family pool in the late afternoon. There is also an adults-only pool. At check-in, guests are each given a wristband to get into the pool area. Because the hotel is open with free parking, anyone would be able to get into the pool otherwise. It’s completely fenced and gated, and there is someone checking wristbands at the gate. I appreciated that, but the downside is that the pool is only accessible during certain hours. When we were there on a 110 degree day in August, I was hoping to be able to swim at night, but the pool closed quite early at 6:00. Due to the way the pool is set up, there’s no way to get into it later. The pool area was pretty dead the day we were there, so we had our pick of lounge chairs. They have a saltwater pool, which is large. There is also a separate lazy river with lots of inner tubes, along with a slide. We particularly enjoyed spending time in the lazy river. My only other negative comment about the pool, other than the closing time, would be how early the pool staff started to get ready for closing. We arrived at the pool around 4:00, and it seemed like they were already getting ready to close at 6. We felt like we were being rushed out.

We also enjoyed the outdoor area off of the lobby, with plenty of seating and a bagpiper at night around sunset. We were sitting on one of the couches while he played, and he was very nice. He came over to ask how our trip was and see if we had any requests for to play. Later at night, there were fire pits lit around the outdoor area. If it weren’t so oppressively hot when we were there, we would have taken advantage of these.

The location of the hotel is great, within easy walking distance of Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter, both of which are great outdoor areas to walk around with upscale shopping and plenty of dining options. I think the hotel has free transportation to get there, but we just walked over. It is an easy walk across the road past the parking lot. The hotel is in North Scottsdale, so be aware of this. It’s a nice area, but not close to Old Town Scottsdale. It’s probably about a 20 minute drive from there.

Also, just be aware that there is a required resort fee here, which I believe is $18 or $20 per night. It includes self parking (the lot is big and a bit of a walk to the lobby, but not far for a resort property), as well as internet access. I think there may have been a couple other things included in the resort fee, but they were useless to us. I generally hate resort fees, but it seems to unfortunately be the norm at many Scottsdale properties.

Overall, this is a great hotel. It is a beautiful place to stay, and I only wish our stay had been longer!

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room on a high floor for a great view of the golf course!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mrg0137
WestinKierland, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thank you for sharing your review from your stay in August. We appreciate your attention to detail in sharing your feedback. We will share this valuable feedback with our management teams to ensure that we are providing the highest level of customer service possible. We hope that you will return in the future to stay a bit longer and enjoy more of what the Resort has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

The purpose of this trip was a conference and for a conference hotel there is a level of expectation that is higher than the average vacation hotel. This resort met and in some quarters exceeded those expectations. The rooms were clean and tidy with a nice balcony view of the surronding city and mountains. The staff were friendly and were not the invisible staff found at some hotels. They were very happy to look guests in the eye and say "hello". The hotel grounds were a venerable cornucopia of activities, but my favorite was sitting by the outside fire place on the cold December evening having a nice discussion with colleagues.

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for sharing your review from your December stay. We are so glad to hear that you felt welcome at our property and that we exceeded your expectations. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience from your business travel, and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future. Thank you for being a valued guest.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

I stayed for 5 days here during a conference. The hotel is stunning. The staff was very friendly, the food at the restaurants was great, and I loved the views. The bagpiper walking the green in the evening and playing for the guests on the terrace was just perfect. My room was a looooong walk from the lobby but the balcony was worth the walk. The resort is close to the shopping district and there is even a shuttle for those that don't want to walk.

I did not get to enjoy the pools since I was there in December and it was a little brisk for that, but I did enjoy the walkways through the resort and the overall atmosphere. I would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
WestinKierland, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate and value the feedback from your experience. It is our goal to provide exceptional service to our guests, and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you will choose to return to our property in the future, whether traveling for business or leisure. Thank you for being a valued guest.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Great service and beautiful view. The golf course was beautifully groomed and challenging. Take advantage of clinics and lessons by Kate! The only problem was some confusion about housekeeping, but it was quickly corrected. We will stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the golf course!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Just back from a business meeting in Scottsdale. After looking up the Kierland Resort on line, though I'd be crazy not to take my wife along. Glad I did.

In all fairness, I was busy for most of the time I was there, so there wasn't much time to exploit all the amenities, and it was a little chilly during our stay so the pool seemed not so inviting. (Would have loved to check out the lazy river - sounds like fun!) That said, it is a beautiful setting, great southwestern decor, and the room was spacious with a comfortable bed and nice sitting area. Our room was on the third floor in a rather odd location that sported an unimaginative view of the roof next door, but we had a very good rate with the conference - maybe that was the trade-off.

A couple of annoyances, and it seems I wasn't alone in this. AT&T service was almost impossible - two bars at best, NOTHING if you were in the lower level conference rooms. I rely on my iPhone to tether into the internet not only for convenience, but as part of my own little rebellion against excessive internet access fees in full service hotels. This was pretty much out of the question here, nor could I keep in touch with the office by phone. Simply hard to believe that one would have trouble with a cell signal in the middle of Scottsdale, AZ.

The only other rub was my inattention to asking about the price of a single malt scotch at the hotel bar - $18.00 for a middle road Dalwhinnie! REALLY!!! I don't expect a bargain, but with tip, that was $40.00 for two drinks! OUCH!

Besides the gorgeous patio area overlooking the golf course, and the hotel restaurant which we did not try, you can easily walk next door to any number of restaurants amidst a downtown Disney sort of atmosphere area of eateries and high end boutiques. (That is, it al seemed a bit plastic and contrived!) Found a couple good coffee houses there, and a great little lunch place called Chloe's, and have reviewed a couple more restaurants we found there on Yelp - Check out The Green House!

So yes - almost a five star kind of place, but when I leave feeling more annoyed than impressed, "poof" goes star number five. Would I go back just to stay and play - probably! Though it looks like's there are options a plenty in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: If you care about the view, you'd better be clear about that at check in.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank PDCE-85
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We took our daughter to Arizona the end of August before she went back to University. Our flight took us to Mesa airport (smaller and easier to navigate than Sky Harbor), we rented a car at the airport (GPS was very useful), then headed to Scottsdale. Everything was amazing. Friendly staff, concierge was helpful and accomidating. Very clean common areas and rooms. 2 pools and a lazy river which we used and really enjoyed. The best part for me was listening to a piper in the courtyard at dusk, over looking the golf coarse, while enjoying a beverage.
We ventured away from the hotel for a Diamonbacks ball game and enjoyed it thouroughly and had good seats at a reasonable cost. We also made the 4 hour drive South to Tombstone, my only regret is we didn't leave sooner. There was so much to see and do there and didnt leave ourselves enough day to take it all in. Going through the old Birdcage Theater was the highlight for all 3 of us.
We went for 5 days and It was a great combination of very relaxing as well as numerous options when we wanted to go do something.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family