“Nice conference hotel”

Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Sayre, Pennsylvania
“Nice conference hotel”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

One of my professional organizations recently held their Fall Institute at the Westin Kierland. Although the building and surroundings captivate the eye, the staff enthusiasm really impressed me. They exude a positive feeling and consistently provided courteous service. I look forward to returning to this hotel for a future conference, but will plan to stay before or after the meeting to enjoy the golf.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Burdett P
WestinKierland, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our property. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your group's stay. Many of our business travelers come back to stay for a vacation to take advantage of more that the Resort has to offer, and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future to experience our Kierland Golf Course. Thank you for being a valued guest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Korean first
Atlanta
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I just returned from a visit to The Westin @ Kierland Villas in Scottsdale, Arizona for 4 days and 3 nights. I was joined by a few girlfriends celebrating my best friend’s 35th birthday (wow!). I was greeted by friendly and energetic representatives that seemed excited that we chose the Westin to celebrate our birthday getaway. The check-in process went fairly smoothly and I received a complimentary upgrade without asking.

On the first night, I stayed in the hotel “Casitas”. I can describe the Casitas as extremely “remote” or secluded. Although you were considered a part of the hotel, it did not feel like it. The casitas sit all the way in the back, but cater-corner of hotel, and alongside part of the golf course. Sounds confusing, that’s because it is. If you are fortunate enough, like me, to have a ton of luggage, then this walk could feel like the yellow brick road.

However, the rooms were spacious and clean. The King heavenly bed is always a treat and the bathroom area is reasonably equipped with modern finishes. They are complimented with 2 gas fireplaces; one in the living area, and the other in the master bedroom. In the living area, there is also a small balcony to enjoy tea or coffee in the evening.

Although the Casitas are embellished with all the bells and wishes, and may be perfect for someone wanting complete isolation, I requested a room near other guest. I remained in the villas for the rest of my stay, and was completely satisfied. Again, this one bedroom King Villa was also well dressed with the latest modern and sleek furnishings. There was a small kitchen area with seating for 2, and included a full size stacked washer and dryer.

Overall, the Kierland Resort and Villas met my expectations and the service I received was nothing less than professional. The shuttle service team should also be commended for making our stay that much greater. They were all well informed about activities and restaurants in the area and were able to make recommendations from a personal perspective. I appreciate the entire Kierland team and plan to return with my family in the near future.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about Kitchen vs Kitchenette. Some rooms have full refridgerator, sink and dining...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nuffgirl
WestinKierland, Public Relations Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you for being a recent guest of our Resort, and for taking the time to share your experience celebrating your girlfriend's brithday. We are delighted that you chose us for your girls getaway, and that you enjoyed your overall experience. We will be sure to share your feedback with our management teams. We hope that you will return again in the future to Scottsdale, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Kierland.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My husband and I are from Chicago stayed here for 3 nights for a quick romantic getaway without the kids. We rarely get time away, so we were hopeful our experience would be good here. It was excellent - this resort is top notch.

Service: We were impressed by the service... anytime we needed anything, it was brought with a smile. Staff members said hi and smiled even as they just walked by. We were seated quickly at the restaurants, food came out quickly. The hotel accommodated our early checkin of 1:30. Cleaning staff even left notes in our room welcoming us. The concierge was extremely helpful. We didn't have time to research restaurants in the area (there are so many), so I just asked them to make a reservation at a romantic restaurant with a view. They chose an excellent restaurant for us (Lon's at the Hermosa)!

Breakfast buffet: The breakfast buffet was $22 each and it was worth every penny. We were seated quickly each morning and had the option to eat inside or out (outside seating is in the courtyard, which has a wonderful view of the golf course). The buffet included made to order omelets, pancakes, waffles, fruits, pastries, meats and cheeses, cereals, yogurts, juices, coffee, and much more.

Brittlebrush restaurant: The food at this restaurant was excellent, and it has the most wonderful outdoor patio with a view of the mountains. With all of this going for it, I must say it was lacking atmosphere. It was really quiet and nobody was around for lunch... just expect that, it may be what you are looking for.

Poolside restaurant (forgot the name): This was an unexpected treat. Delicious wraps, sandwiches, and salads. A nice place to belly up a the bar and have a pina colata. A television to watch sporting events. Partially shaded so you can get out of the sun for a while. Very friendly staff.

Pools: We wanted to be away from kids, considering this was our first kid-free vacation since our honeymoon, so we hit the adult pool one day. Boooring. So maybe this is what you want - no music, an older crowd, silence. It is no doubt relaxing. But we actually had more fun at the larger pool. Yes there were kids there, but it wasn't loud or rowdy. There was music playing, younger parents, and just more of an atmosphere. We liked the lazy river but did not get a chance to hit the water slide. One note on the pool areas - the staff doesn't get around to you as well. If you want a drink, it is much faster to just get it yourself at the bar.

Entertainment: We didn't take advantage of any planned activities, but we did sit outside one night around the huge firepit and chatted with other couples. It was really nice. The sofas are really comfortable and they have warm blankets out there to use if it gets chilly. They also have a waitstaff to get you drinks. Overall a nice place to hang out. If you don't get a seat at the large main firepit, there are other little seating areas also out in the courtyard with mini firepits. Really neat.

Rooms: Very clean and comfortable. Bed and shower were heavenly. They give you a paper every morning, which we carried down to breakfast with us. We used our Starwood points and just got a basic King with no views, no frills. We don't like wasting our points on views, especially since we don't spend much time in the room. Our room was a little far from the lobby and action, which was nice because it was very quiet. Maybe because our room was so "standard," nobody was staying in that wing?? I noticed some guests who face the courtyard/golf course complaining about noise at night (that's where people hang out - by the firepit - and it can get a little drunk and loud, depending on the night... we participated in that one night). So if you want views, know that there may also be noise from the courtyard.

Overall, our stay was wonderful. The entire hotel is immaculate. I would recommend it for couples and families. I kept telling my husband that we have to visit again with other couples and their kids. The resort does such a nice job at making it family-friendly, yet upscale so you don't feel like you are in a "family" resort. You get a nice mix here of couples, families, and business folks.

A couple important tips regarding visiting this area. Rent a car. No way you can get around without one, even if you just plan on hitting a couple restaurants and a ball game. It is so spread out, you will spend more in cabs (I didn't see many cabs, so I don't know how available they are). Luckily the highways and streets are a breeze to navigate. If you are heading up for spring training, buy your tickets in advance. Cubs game was sold out, Giants only had lawn seats left. If you want to shop for clothing, just hit the shopping area across the street. Very impressive selection of stores and a really nice atmosphere for shopping or grabbing a bite to eat on an outdoor patio.

Room Tip: If you choose a room with a view, note that you may get some noise from the courtyard at night, beca...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Krissy31
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We had planned a little December getaway for our family (myself, my husband and our two year old) and after much research, decided to book at the Westin Kierland due to it's very family friendly ammenities and in that regard we were not disappointed. This resort is the perfect place to bring a family with small children. We were able to use a stroller, potty, stepping stool and toddler bed from the hotel which makes travelling with a small child so much easier! We also upgraded to a casita suite which I highly recommend you do if you have children that go to bed early. Our son happily slept in the main area while we watched movies in the bedroom.

The other attraction was the pool, waterslide and river run. Unfortunately, we can during a very cold spell and weren't able to go, but if it were nice out, I doubt we would have left the resort.

Be aware, however that this is a VERY large resort. It was a bit of a walk from the parking lot to our suite and an even longer walk from our suite to the main hotel which would be fine if our son wasn't such a lollygagger.

I give this hotel top marks for service, cleanliness and ammenities. The only reason I rated it 'very good' as opposed to 'excellent' is because the food wasn't nearly good enough for the prices they charge. But the good news is there are plenty of restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: If you have small children, it is so worth it to upgrade to a suite!!
1 Thank TravelwKiddies
Thank you for sharing your experience from your December stay. We always appreciate hearing feedback from our guest so that we can continue to work towards our goal of exceeding our guest expectations. We are happy that you enjoyed your family getaway with us and hope that you will return when the weather is warm enough for you to take advantage of our Adventure water park and lazy river. Thank you for being a valued guest, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Scottsdale.
Fishers, Indiana
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Nothing negative to say about this property. Room was clean, location was great and staff was amazing. Having access to the Westin next door was nice too. Weather was quite chilly when we were there, but we still stayed active and did some fun stuff-climbed Camelback mountain. Then my 4 year old and I climbed Pinnacle peak and Squaw peak all very doable climbs! Was hoping to get some sun and pool time in but did not happen. This property is a A+

Room Tip: Book the bigger one bedroom, it has a bigger kitchen and that is very helpful
1 Thank purduepete2
Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your December stay. With over 300 days of sunshine a year in Scottsdale, we are sorry to hear that your getaway happened to be over a bad weather spell. We are happy that you and your family still had a pleasant experience, and we hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future. Thank you for being a valued guest.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed here to celebrate my mother-n-laws 75th Birthday! She wanted to go to a resort/spa in Scottsdale. So we picked the Kierland! We were so pleased. She was so happy!
The views of the mountains behind the golf course was stunning and the bagpiper each evening was nice and different.
The staff were all so friendly and polite. Even though this is a major convention hotel it's so large we didn't find it an issue.
Nicole was our server at breakfast both mornings and she was so nice and even remembered us from the morning before. It was really nice to have top notch customer service.

Room Tip: They have a desert area in the lobby nightly from 5 to 8pm and the deserts are wonderful. Lots of c...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
WestinKierland, Manager at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
We are so pleased to hear that you had such a nice visit to The Westin Kierland, and to celebrate your monther's milestone birthday. Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback. We will be sure to share it with our management staff. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again when visitng Scottsdale in the future. Thank you for being a valued guest.
New Jersey
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night in August as part of a family vacation. I was very regretful after the fact that we weren’t spending more time at this resort! It really is a very lovely hotel. I am a big fan of the Westin chain, and this one did not disappoint. It is now one of my favorites.

It is a large resort, so the hotel definitely has a busy feel to it, but it’s still very nice. It has a sort of rustic outdoorsy look, with lots of stone and dark wood. Everything is fresh and nicely decorated, and the grounds were impeccably manicured. The lobby itself is gorgeous and very large, with several levels of seating and huge windows looking out toward the golf course. The lobby was a really nice area to sit and relax, and at night there is a dessert buffet set up (each item priced individually). The desserts looked great, but we didn’t end up purchasing any or even looking to see what the prices are.

From a vacationer’s standpoint, I guess a detraction of this hotel is that it definitely caters to business groups/conventions. During the day, the convention presence wasn’t felt very much, but at night, it definitely was. When we came back to the hotel from dinner, the lobby was overrun with a very loud convention group, which unfortunately precluded us from enjoying the lobby that night.

We booked one of the deluxe rooms on the club level with 2 double beds. The room was very nice and newly renovated, just as the pictures on the hotel website show. It is nice that all of the rooms have a small balcony with a table and two chairs. The bathroom was very nice as well, with a separate tub and shower. I guess if someone actually wanted to use the tub, it might be a bit on the small side, but I was perfectly content with the glass stall shower. The room was like a marketing campaign in of itself. It seemed that everything in the room was for sale or advertising something to buy. There was the minibar, refillable metal water bottles for sale, things about the bedding, etc. It just seemed like overkill on the sales.

What made the deluxe room different from standard rooms was the view. We had a perfect view of the golf course from our room. Standard view rooms seem to overlook the parking lot, roof, or pool instead. We always stay on a club level if we can, and the club floor here was in a perfect location, on one of the top floors in the main tower building above the lobby. The majority of rooms in the hotel are in the one large building, but I heard other guests mentioning how long of a walk it was to their rooms from the lobby.

The club lounge itself was nice, with a golf course view. When we arrived in the afternoon, we were disappointed to see that the lounge wasn’t staffed during the afternoon or evening, and that there wouldn’t be any afternoon/evening hot food offerings. There were some packaged snacks and cookies available in the lounge during the day, but they were essentially first-come, first-served and must have been put out right after breakfast. I would like to have seen more food available during the day, or at least having the snacks and cookies replenished. We had breakfast here in the morning, and it was good. It was a typical continental breakfast with good fresh fruit.

We didn’t have much contact with the staff at the hotel. Everyone in the lobby was pleasant enough, but didn’t go out of their way to interact with guests. They were busier talking to each other usually. The only employee we really noticed was the club lounge concierge/attendant in the morning, who definitely left a bad taste in our mouths. He just simply sat at the desk outside the lounge without bothering to look up and say hi when we came in. During the entire time we were eating, he never came in to check on the food, say hi to any of the guests, etc. It was just really poor service, and even when we left, he just still sat there without saying a word or even looking up from his computer. I’ve often found some of the best hotel employees at club lounges, and here that was not the case.

We enjoyed some time at the family pool in the late afternoon. There is also an adults-only pool. At check-in, guests are each given a wristband to get into the pool area. Because the hotel is open with free parking, anyone would be able to get into the pool otherwise. It’s completely fenced and gated, and there is someone checking wristbands at the gate. I appreciated that, but the downside is that the pool is only accessible during certain hours. When we were there on a 110 degree day in August, I was hoping to be able to swim at night, but the pool closed quite early at 6:00. Due to the way the pool is set up, there’s no way to get into it later. The pool area was pretty dead the day we were there, so we had our pick of lounge chairs. They have a saltwater pool, which is large. There is also a separate lazy river with lots of inner tubes, along with a slide. We particularly enjoyed spending time in the lazy river. My only other negative comment about the pool, other than the closing time, would be how early the pool staff started to get ready for closing. We arrived at the pool around 4:00, and it seemed like they were already getting ready to close at 6. We felt like we were being rushed out.

We also enjoyed the outdoor area off of the lobby, with plenty of seating and a bagpiper at night around sunset. We were sitting on one of the couches while he played, and he was very nice. He came over to ask how our trip was and see if we had any requests for to play. Later at night, there were fire pits lit around the outdoor area. If it weren’t so oppressively hot when we were there, we would have taken advantage of these.

The location of the hotel is great, within easy walking distance of Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter, both of which are great outdoor areas to walk around with upscale shopping and plenty of dining options. I think the hotel has free transportation to get there, but we just walked over. It is an easy walk across the road past the parking lot. The hotel is in North Scottsdale, so be aware of this. It’s a nice area, but not close to Old Town Scottsdale. It’s probably about a 20 minute drive from there.

Also, just be aware that there is a required resort fee here, which I believe is $18 or $20 per night. It includes self parking (the lot is big and a bit of a walk to the lobby, but not far for a resort property), as well as internet access. I think there may have been a couple other things included in the resort fee, but they were useless to us. I generally hate resort fees, but it seems to unfortunately be the norm at many Scottsdale properties.

Overall, this is a great hotel. It is a beautiful place to stay, and I only wish our stay had been longer!

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room on a high floor for a great view of the golf course!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mrg0137
Thank you for sharing your review from your stay in August. We appreciate your attention to detail in sharing your feedback. We will share this valuable feedback with our management teams to ensure that we are providing the highest level of customer service possible. We hope that you will return in the future to stay a bit longer and enjoy more of what the Resort has to offer. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.