“Love this place”

Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Love this place”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I recently stayed at this westin property for a business conference and was impressed with the accomodations, the food and especially the wonderful staff. The grounds and facilities are tranquil and picturesque for a desert location. I was thrilled to see they have an adults only pool making it easy to swim laps. The food at the conference and hotel restaurant were consistently delicious,served promptly. Great southwestern fare. Finally, all the staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. You can tell these people really like their work. The best example though of an above and beyond action by a staff member was earned by the young waiter who found me a diet Pepsi in this coke only realm to satisfy my week long craving. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you are staying at the hotel for a business conference arrive a day earlier not just to enjoy the...
Green Features: They follow the policy to only change linens and towels daily if you ask for the service. For each day you decline service you earn a 5.00 value on premises purchase credit for food/bev.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Louise,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent visit. We are delighted that you had a great time with us and enjoyed many aspects of your stay including the Resort grounds, adult pool, dining options, your room accommodations and interactions with our associates. We strive to provide each guest with a memorable experience and are thrilled to learn that our associates had a positive impact on your stay.

Whether for business or pleasure, we hope to see you again!

The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and 23 month old son and I enjoyed our stay at the Westin. The property was very nice and well maintained. The rooms were standard and we had no complaints. There was an emptry refridgerator which was nice. We were next to the ice machine and elevator and did not hear any noise.

The pool area was great. The zero entry pool was perfect for my son to walk in. There is a splash pad and a lazy river as well. There is an adult pool too. The water was warm and clean. There is a small sand area that was not played in much but led to sand being tracked into the pool and on the pathways which hurt feet a bit. However, the ground got so hot that it is necessary to wear flip flops everywhere. We bought water shoes for our son to wear because of the hot ground. The surfer area was fun to watch and we spent a lot of time watching people try their hand at surfing.

The service at the pool was hit or miss. One day our server came around every 10 minutes, the next day we couldn't find one at all. The service at the bar was great and the food came out quickly. One night there were food trucks set up with great food, I recommend ordering from the food trucks if you are there for it.

Across from the pool is a small kids play area where they have smores at night, ping pong, huge chess and a basketball hoop. My son is obsessed with sports so this area was perfect for us and really made the hotel stay even better.

There is a light show right now against the side of the buildling which is fun to watch and I recommend making sure you see at least one of the show times. We saw it each night and my son thoroughly enjoyed it.

There is a Westin Kids Club. We checked to see if we could play inside and stay with our son since he was too young and was told no. I wasn't too surprised since we were threre over Memorial Day weekend so it was busy. We have been to other Westins however that have allowed him to play with the toys for a half hour or so if we stayed with him.

If you are there when it is crowded, you do need to get up early and get the pool when it opens to get a chair. We never had a problem, but we lined up with others to grab a seat.

The hotel is next to the mall, we didn't go there because it was hot and it is an open air mall but there is a lot of shopping nearby and a park with a playground close as well.

For runners, I ran past the mall to the canal where you can run along the fence for miles and recommend this for runners (just bring lots of water).

Overall we had a great time. I'm not giving four stars for picky things like not having cold water available after my runs (the bottles all three days were warm) and no towels (the Ritz has this), there were no pool toys for kids to play with, you had to bring your own (again, not a big deal but other hotels have pool toys) and housekeeping did not come until very late in the afternoons - around 4.

We would stay at the Westin again and I recommend it to anyone with young children.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
WestinKierland, Communications Team at The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for electing to stay with us over Memorial Day Weekend. We know there are many excellent resorts in Scottsdale and we truly appreciate that you chose to celebrate the holiday weekend with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and had the opportunity to experience many of our signature amenities including the Adventure Water Park, OK Corral and PaintScaping.

We would also like to thank you for taking the time to share a detailed review about your stay. We appreciate your positive remarks and recommendation and will certainly share your comments in regard to cold water and towels with our team. Feedback is a critical tool which assists us in our continuous efforts to enhance our guests’ experience and we are thankful that you have provided us with yours.

Please come visit us, anytime. We’d love to welcome you and your family back to our Resort.

Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Spent 4 days here with my 1st and hopefully my last wife. Well it's been 38 years so far. I had a securities conference here in early June. Outside temps were 105, a tad bit warm. Hotel and grounds are kept very nice. Service is great and people are very friendly. What surprised me was the restaurant, it was fantastic! The rooms and beds are so-so. We stayed in 8020.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing feedback in regard to your recent visit. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and conference experience at our Resort. Our associates strive to provide personal and instinctive service and will be delighted to learn that they had a positive impact on your stay.

We hope to see you again!

AZ
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel and grounds are amazing....I wish I had their landscaper! It truly is a stunning property, very well maintained, clean, and very luxurious feeling. Check-in was smooth and efficient, all the staff seemed friendly and helpful. Our room had a great view of the lake, but I did feel for such a glamorous hotel it was pretty basic quality. Fair enough, we did book the standard room (the cheapest), but still, at $200 a night I expected a little more in the way of finishing touches.

I did feel a bit nickle-and-dimed because there were some little extras in the room such as a robe (yours to keep at $90 something...), two small wine bottles (yours to drink for $18 something dollars), a bottle of water (yours to drink.....yeah, you get the picture...). Personally, I find this type of buy this/buy that irritating. I undertsand the mini-bar comes at a price, but come on....for $200 you could throw in a $4 bottle of wine, surely?? My only other peeve was the "free gift waiting for you at concierge"....which is a cheap looking reusable tote, which is really a disguised effort to get you to listen and attend some timeshare speel....just seemed a bit tacky for such a high-end establishment.

However, these small niggles didn't spoil our stay, and everything else was wonderful.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the standard rooms, but I would request a top floor lake view
Green Features: There was a cash bonus (not sure exactly what it was - but I think it was a credit to the bar or something) if you declined room service
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and share feedback in regard to your recent visit. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful property and had a great overall experience. We hope that you left our Resort feeling relaxed, renewed and better than when you arrived.

Please let us know if you plan a return trip to Scottsdale. We would love the opportunity to welcome you back as our guest.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We thought that Chris that works at the pool was an amazing waiter. He went above and beyond to make our family happy. Not only was he amazing, but he had many funny jokes. It wasn't just Chris that was great, everybody put your needs before themselves and that is the kind of behavior that makes you want to go back. It was a very pleasurable experience.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by no elevators. It was almost like a hike to get back to the room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Bailee,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay. Thank you very much for the great feedback about our associates, especially Chris at the pool. We will be certain to pass along your comments to his leadership team!

We look forward to having an opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Kierland soon and if there is anything we can ever assist you with to plan that perfect getaway, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at tripadvisor@kierlandresort.com.

Horn Lake, Mississippi
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I don't really have anything negative to say about the hotel. It is a stunning piece of property, meticulously landscaped, conveniently located to shopping and restaurants in Scottsdale. Upon entering the hotel the first thing I noticed staring back at me was the beautiful golf course through the back of the hotel. The second thing I noticed was just how small the main lobby appeared as it was littered with conference goers. Every time I went in and out of the hotel I had to dodge people with badges hanging around their neck. I'm sure it was just bad luck on my part that this conference took place on my visit, but if they could have repositioned the attendees it would have been appreciated. Other than that I thought the resort was quite nice. I never met an employee who wasn't friendly and helpful. The golf course was playable, and the two restaurants that we visited were delicious. The room was very comfortable, clean, and the TV actually broadcast some programming in high definition. I particularly enjoyed floating on the lazy river, and I thought the bagpipe player who performed at sunset every evening was a nice touch.

Green Features: I liked the program the hotel had that allowed you to bypass daily clean linens if you wanted, and you received a $5 gift card that you could use on food and drinks in the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay. We truly appreciate your positive comments and are honored to hear you say that you cannot say one negative thing about our Resort. We strive to create a memorable experience for each of our guests and we are delighted that we achieved this goal during your time with us.

Please let us know if you plan a return visit. We would love to see you again.

Orange, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Here to see a concert and a little rest and we have had amazing service from the valet guys in front to the staff inside! The pool server at the adult pool was very attentive to me and my husband yesterday! We ordered tacos for lunch and they were good and he kept us with cold drinks through out the day! The hotel has a shuttle service to many restaurants and shops.
Breakfast buffet is also very nice!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Kierland for a little relaxation time and we trust you enjoyed the concert! Sounds like you were able to achieve your mission of relaxation at our Aguamiel Spa pool and take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service to the Kierland Commons and Scottsdale Quarter shopping areas.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort in the future!